• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got back a submission and the comic moves inside the case. What do you do?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I just received a comic back that shifts from side to side if you tilt the case one way or the other. I've read several old threads discussing comics moving in their slabs and there seems to be a differing of opinion from that's normal to it definitely needs to be reholdered. Since it is a Golden Age comic I am concerned that chipping could occur over time. Informal poll - how many send it back to get reholdered? It seems this should qualify for a ME reholdering on CGC's dime? I also paid for express service so if I elect to get it reholdered, it seems a credit should be in order since my comic will be gone for over a month. Should this comic have passed quality control?  Everyone's thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who respond. - I just rechecked it - it also slides from top to bottom if you tilt the case slightly. 

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 8/27/2022 at 2:53 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I just received a comic back that shifts from side to side if you tilt the case one way or the other. I've read several old threads discussing comics moving in their slabs and there seems to be a differing of opinion from that's normal to it definitely needs to be reholdered. Since it is a Golden Age comic I am concerned that chipping could occur over time. Informal poll - how many send it back to get reholdered? It seems this should qualify for a ME reholdering on CGC's dime? I also paid for express service so if I elect to get it reholdered, it seems a credit should be in order since my comic will be gone for over a month. Should this comic have passed quality control?  Everyone's thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who respond. - I just rechecked it - it also slides from top to bottom if you tilt the case slightly. 

Is it just the inner well moving from side to side, or the actual comic book inside the inner plastic moving?

On 8/27/2022 at 3:58 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

Is it just the inner well moving from side to side, or the actual comic book inside the inner plastic moving?

OK, I just checked it again. It appears to be the whole inner plastic that is moving, not the comic inside the plastic. 

• Administrator

Assuming you live in the US, you can do an online submission form and submit this as a ME.  You will then receive a prepaid shipping label.  We will reholder it,  and will also cover return shipping.   If you are outside of the US, you would have to contact customer service to get that shipping label.  I do not believe you would receive a credit for the express tier.

Mike

On 8/27/2022 at 8:09 PM, CGC Mike said:

Assuming you live in the US, you can do an online submission form and submit this as a ME.  You will then receive a prepaid shipping label.  We will reholder it,  and will also cover return shipping.   If you are outside of the US, you would have to contact customer service to get that shipping label.  I do not believe you would receive a credit for the express tier.

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the quick response. 

On 8/28/2022 at 9:03 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

All I know I have been getting a lot of my collection graded here of late. This is the first time I received one back that moves. 

I asked because cgc Mike advised sending it in for reholder as a ME.

I was under the impression that all books moved a bit in the case and that's the cause of SCS.

I can tap the side of any case I own and shift the book around.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:31 PM, lostboys said:

I was under the impression that all books moved a bit in the case and that's the cause of SCS.

I can tap the side of any case I own and shift the book around.

Now I am once again confused. Is this considered normal or does it need to be reholdered? I'm not tapping the case at all. If I just tip the case slightly in any direction, the comic moves. 

On 8/28/2022 at 6:44 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

Now I am once again confused. Is this considered normal or does it need to be reholdered? I'm not tapping the case at all. If I just tip the case slightly in any direction, the comic moves. 

At least 50% of the books I get shift in the case. iIt really depends on how much it moves, and how much it annoys you. I personally wouldn't reholder, but that's up to you.

1. Informal poll - how many send it back to get reholdered?
  2. It seems this should qualify for a ME reholdering on CGC's dime?
  3. I also paid for express service so if I elect to get it reholdered, it seems a credit should be in order since my comic will be gone for over a month.
  4. Should this comic have passed quality control?
  1. I would, without question.
  2. I agree.
  3. Not sure, you would have to work that out with CS.
  4. No.

Below is CGC's customer service reply (which we knew per CGC Mike's answer). It seems that it is not normal for the comic to be moving in the case by their response.

Thank you for contacting the Certified Collectibles Group. We apologize for the situation and any inconvenience you have experienced. To prevent any damage caused by this movement in the future, please follow the instructions below to submit your item(s) for complimentary reholder service.