• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Collection
1 1

98 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 8:54 AM, shadroch said:

First they find boxes of Stan's file copies, after years of him saying he had none.

Then Mile High Chuck discovers a pallet of his MH2 books after years of saying they were mixed into his inventory.

Now the Ditko estate finds Steve's long lost books. 

Color me dubious.

Why would they be long lost? He was never one to cash in on his fame. 

Ivan Briggs has been pretty reputable so far so he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

People are still surprised that because Ditko didn't act as they expected him to act, that he should be at all different from what they assumed. Because he didn't give interviews or sign for QVC or go to comic cons, this didn't mean he wasn't proud of his work. He was forward thinking and still wrote at length about Spider-Man, Stan, his views on Marvel and Joe Quesada, and so forth- fans just chose to ignore it. The ones that knew about his self-published essays were more inclined to write him off as a crank, etc.

It does not surprise me that Mr. Ditko would have copies of his work- and the people running the Ditko estate are his nephews and others so this seems highly plausible to me.

As for "how Ditko treated" his old art- this comes from ONE anecdote from Greg Theakson who many believe embellished tons of stories regarding himself with veteran artists. I believe it's a lie and it's even possible that Theakson saw something amid Ditko's stuff and assumed. This is often the problem with how beliefs start in fandom- one anecdote becomes hearsay and joins the subconscious tapestry of what people think IS when you can research these things yourself rather than continue to perpetuate things which aren't so.

On 8/31/2022 at 7:29 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

Ivan Briggs has been pretty reputable so far so he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

People are still surprised that because Ditko didn't act as they expected him to act, that he should be at all different from what they assumed. Because he didn't give interviews or sign for QVC or go to comic cons, this didn't mean he wasn't proud of his work. He was forward thinking and still wrote at length about Spider-Man, Stan, his views on Marvel and Joe Quesada, and so forth- fans just chose to ignore it. The ones that knew about his self-published essays were more inclined to write him off as a crank, etc.

It does not surprise me that Mr. Ditko would have copies of his work- and the people running the Ditko estate are his nephews and others so this seems highly plausible to me.

So did he keep copies of all his books?  Where are they?  

On 8/31/2022 at 10:33 AM, shadroch said:

So did he keep copies of all his books?  Where are they?  

I don't know if he kept copies of all of his books. Whatever he had, I presume that his nephew Mark obtained ownership of them and is handling them via the estate. If Mark is at another event like last year's Ditko Con, one could ask him.

I am not buying this, I met and spoke to Steve Ditko at least four different times at his office in NYC. Heck, I even introduced him to Greggy! :sumo: When I asked him if he still had any old Spidey comics, he made it very clear that he didn't want to do anything with Spider-man, because that was in his past. When he returned to Marvel in 1979 he told Jim Shooter that he would draw anything but, Spider-man and Doctor Strange. He even turned down the return of his original art work to Amazing Fantasy #15. 2c

There's probably an old thread that I started when I first met him about 15 years ago or so. Maybe someone can dig it up.

On 8/31/2022 at 4:05 PM, mr_highgrade said:

I am not buying this, I met and spoke to Steve Ditko at least four different times at his office in NYC. Heck, I even introduced him to Greggy! :sumo: When I asked him if he still had any old Spidey comics, he made it very clear that he didn't want to do anything with Spider-man, because that was in his past. When he returned to Marvel in 1979 he told Jim Shooter that he would draw anything but, Spider-man and Doctor Strange. He even turned down the return of his original art work to Amazing Fantasy #15. 2c

There's probably an old thread that I started when I first met him about 15 years ago or so. Maybe someone can dig it up.

On 8/31/2022 at 4:10 PM, mr_highgrade said:

There's another thread I believe titled "I met Steve Ditko".

There's two above - I just added a second called "I shook SD's Hand Today" - is that it?