• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collections
2 2

111 posts in this topic

Would this be the right place to see if anyone knows about this Blackstone collection that is auctioning on ComicConnect this month? They had a small info section that basically said they found in when they were up in Chicago for the 2021 Wizard World. With the breadth and depth of what they showed it seemed like a pretty extensive collection. I bought several Marvel Tales issues and was just curious to get more background. If there is a thread elsewhere please point me in that direction. Thanks!

On 9/20/2022 at 12:34 PM, N e r V said:

Not really. Comics were 20 cents in 1973 and went up to 25 cents in 1974. When I got into actually collecting that year I was probably buying 30 titles or so a month or about $6.00 a month worth. Add things like 60 or 75 cent magazines and it was probably something like $15.00-$20.00 a month. I was probably getting a $5.00 a week allowance (I’m guessing now) back then. 

Boomers and Gen X’ers had a secret little thing we did back then when we wanted extra money. It was called work.:shiftyeyes: I did side jobs like cut grass, deliver newspapers, etc. 

We actually spent summer vacations having fun and working to save money. When kids saved money family members often would kick in money too if you were trying to save. Good times.

Fantastic four #1 in 1973 probably cost me around $30.00-35.00 in high grade. Richard Alf had a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 for $25.00 in 1974 in VF+ at his store but I’m pretty sure my mom scored my first copy for around that on a trip to Arizona when I gave her a “hit list” of comics to look for. This was the era of good, fine, mint too so when I say VF+ by a legit dealer back then it would probably be a 9.0 or 9.2 today. Howard Rogofsky and others were not the grading standard you wanted. 

If you look back in old Marvel comics say 1974 or 1975 (can’t remember exactly) they noted Fantastic Four #1 was selling for around $50.00 by then (might be Stan’s soapbox?). I knew I scored big by then when I read it. :banana:
Comics were not only fun but they increased in value fast. Very cool.

If you were getting $5 per week as allowance in 1973, your parents were rich. I was getting $1 per week in 1983, and I didn't know anyone in my neighborhood who was getting anywhere close to $5.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 9/16/2022 at 7:02 AM, Larryw7 said:

The first book I remember buying was Batman 207. Actually my grandmother bought it for me. I was four years old.

Obviously not my original copy.

I think this was my first comic but I'm not sure. I remember trying to figure out the overlapping shapes in a crowd scene cover on (I think) a Buscema Avengers. I tried drawing the way Thor's hammer, or the handle, overlapped something else, thinking it was very clever on the part of the artist. The style of the cover, as I recall it, would make it earlier than this Avengers #93. The other thing is that I had a dream about the next issue (94) where Captain America fires a dart into the Super Skrull's inflated belly. I remember telling my friends at school about the dream in 1973. The other Avengers (if that is what it was) is from when I lived at a different apartment 1-2 years earlier. That said, I've been unable to identify the cover, so this Avengers #93 is the earliest comic I know I had before I started collecting back issues. Eventually, I had a full set of Avengers.

Avengers 94.jpg

Edited by paqart

On 10/12/2022 at 3:10 PM, paqart said:

That said, I've been unable to identify the cover, so this Avengers #93 is the earliest comic I know I had before I started collecting back issues.

Avengers 94.jpg

Absolutely love this squarebound Avengers 93 as it's 52 pages of absolute Neal Adams artistic goodness from cover to cover.  :luhv:  :takeit:

I still remember when this book was considered to be the BA key to acquire and the most valuable BA book out there. Definitely not the case anymore as this book has seemingly been forgotten by this current generation of collectors/investors/speculators as a ton of other BA books have rocketed up into the stratosphere while this once iconic book here still seems to be stuck in the launch pad.  :(

On 9/26/2022 at 12:23 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

If you were getting $5 per week as allowance in 1973, your parents were rich. I was getting $1 per week in 1983, and I didn't know anyone in my neighborhood who was getting anywhere close to $5.

I didn't get an allowance. My mom made me give her money when she needed it. I traded comics for money, then started working at a comic store. Later, I sold coins and other collectibles until I got into college and then a real job...drawing comics of all things.

On 9/25/2022 at 11:23 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

On 10/13/2022 at 11:47 PM, paqart said:

I didn't get an allowance. My mom made me give her money when she needed it. I traded comics for money, then started working at a comic store. Later, I sold coins and other collectibles until I got into college and then a real job...drawing comics of all things.

...And no, my collection isn't recognized (but my GA collection isn't original owner either) :preach:

On 10/14/2022 at 2:18 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

...And no, my collection isn't recognized (but my GA collection isn't original owner either) :preach:

That was very funny, thanks. Just to avoid any misunderstanding, unlike these fellows, I wasn't joking about having to give my mother money and not getting an allowance. As I watched the video you posted, I was comparing my youth with the things these actors were saying. At first, I felt they were describing circumstances that weren't that bad compared to my own childhood. As they went on to living in shoeboxes and so on, they left me in the dust in the "I was so poor that..." competition.

I will mention a couple of things I could have said truthfully in such a competition though: 1) at times of financial distress, my mother had my sister and I, aged about 7 and 8 respectively, search pay phones for discarded change with which to buy food. On one such occasion, I recall scraping out 35 cents that we used to buy a single hamburger that we split three ways. 2) Without money for clothes, my mother came up with a number of methods for obtaining them at no cost. One such method involved driving up to a Goodwill bin at 9pm and lifting my sister up to the level of the donation slot so she could crawl inside. She'd root around for clothes in the dark, heaving them out through the slot for our mother to decide what we'd keep and what would be thrown back. As for beds, I remember having one to sleep on occasionally but more often, it was a sleeping bag on the floor.

Edited by paqart

On 10/14/2022 at 8:28 AM, paqart said:

That was very funny, thanks. Just to avoid any misunderstanding, unlike these fellows, I wasn't joking about having to give my mother money and not getting an allowance. As I watched the video you posted, I was comparing my youth with the things these actors were saying. At first, I felt they were describing circumstances that weren't that bad compared to my own childhood. As they went on to living in shoeboxes and so on, they left me in the dust in the "I was so poor that..." competition.

I will mention a couple of things I could have said truthfully in such a competition though: 1) at times of financial distress, my mother had my sister and I, aged about 7 and 8 respectively, search pay phones for discarded change with which to buy food. On one such occasion, I recall scraping out 35 cents that we used to buy a single hamburger that we split three ways. 2) Without money for clothes, my mother came up with a number of methods for obtaining them at no cost. One such method involved driving up to a Goodwill bin at 9pm and lifting my sister up to the level of the donation slot so she could crawl inside. She'd root around for clothes in the dark, heaving them out through the slot for our mother to decide what we'd keep and what would be thrown back. As for beds, I remember having one to sleep on occasionally but more often, it was a sleeping bag on the floor.

I was hoping this would provide a bit of amusement without conveying too much snark.  The Four Yorkshireman is one of the greatest observational comic sketches ever done.  This is the original, but it would morph into the Monty Python sketch as would Graham Chapman and John Cleese; Marty Feldman would become famous in other comedic efforts including Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein. 

About the only places our GA collections slightly overlap are EC's; I've always been a fan of Wood's, Williamson's & Frazetta's work.  I started collecting EC's in the late 60's, but didn't get serious about it until decades later, but I do have a personalized WSF cover signed by Williamson back when I knew him in '74...

e8119860-1880-4b85-b293-cbbc6972796f_zpsknphsohf.jpg.10256dea776b544cc6b6d3fae5dbf18a.jpg

On 10/14/2022 at 4:50 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I was hoping this would provide a bit of amusement without conveying too much snark.  The Four Yorkshireman is one of the greatest observational comic sketches ever done.  This is the original, but it would morph into the Monty Python sketch as would Graham Chapman and John Cleese; Marty Feldman would become famous in other comedic efforts including Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein. 

About the only places our GA collections slightly overlap are EC's; I've always been a fan of Wood's, Williamson's & Frazetta's work.  I started collecting EC's in the late 60's, but didn't get serious about it until decades later, but I do have a personalized WSF cover signed by Williamson back when I knew him in '74...

e8119860-1880-4b85-b293-cbbc6972796f_zpsknphsohf.jpg.10256dea776b544cc6b6d3fae5dbf18a.jpg

I love all of those covers. I don't remember if I had that one or not but it was on my want list. At the time, ECs were much harder to obtain than the Barks duck comics I collected. The same goes for random GA publishers like Avon, ME, Charles Biro, etc. I remember running into boxes full of Famous Funnies (except the Frazetta issues) and other funny animal comics. The same goes for westerns and war comics. The sci fi and superhero genres were always tougher to get. In that context, EC was a bit odd because the type of stories they published were readily available in the back issue bin for any other publisher but not EC. After I moved to NYC, I bought a run of Mads from issue 2-15 or so, all in NM condition. I also picked up some early Adam Strange and Green Lantern appearances in Showcase, a really weird Basil Wolverton comic, some early S+K titles, and even the original art for a Severin/Kurtzman story in (I think) Frontline Combat #1. My favorite was a copy of Sub-Mariner Comics #2 that I bought from Bob Burden at an NYCC in about 1993 for $750.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:13 PM, circumstances said:

I made lots of flea market finds in the 1970s.

Quarter books, 50 cent books, dollar books.

There was one guy who would set up every week.

He had a big three ring notebook with dozens of plastic sleeves that he'd always put out on one of his tables.

In each sleeve, back to back, was 1950s horror and Sci fi comics (except EC).

Dozens of them. Brain Bats of Venus and the like. All in nice shape.

I loved them, but the prices were exorbitant. $12, $15, $18. Brain Bats was $35!

I tried on numerous occasions to buy the whole binder, or to get more reasonable prices on individual books or groups of books. I don't think he ever budged on price.

I can't recall him ever selling anything at those prices in those days.

Wonder what ever happened to them/him.

This reminds me of something I once saw at Bob Sidebottom's shop in San Jose around 1978 or so. At the time, I was in the habit of going to Recycle Books a few stores down the street to buy underpriced comics. Sidebottom's prices were too high for me but I went into his shop occasionally to get new comics for cover price. 

The store was tiny, and made even smaller by a curtain that segregated the underground comics from everything else. My impression was that he had devoted half his floor space to undergrounds, an unusual decision at the time.

He always had a full set of Marvel #1's on the wall: Avengers #1, FF#1, ASM#1, X-Men #1, and Hulk #1. I don't remember seeing JSM #83, AF #15, or other first appearances. It was just the #1's. He wanted $500 each at a time when Overstreet had them listed at $375 in mint. I figured he never sold them because they were so overpriced. I was quite wrong about that, as I discovered one day.

I was in there to buy some new comics when I realized I had to use a rest room. I asked the kid behind the counter if I could use the one in the shop. He said sure, as long as I didn't tell anyone what I saw. The shop's gone now, so I don't mind saying. We stepped through a beaded curtain that led into an enormous warehouse-sized space filled from floor to a height of about 14 feet with boxes of comics. I couldn't see the ends of the room in either direction because of the enormous towers of comics in every direction. Between them, a narrow aisle barely wide enough for a grown man's shoulders snaked back to the bathroom. 

It was so cramped in that aisle that I took a bad step and kicked a box on the floor. The flap flew open, revealing its contents. It was an entire box of Hulk #1's. The kid who was leading me to the back told me all of the boxes are like that: most were full but contained only one issue of any given comic. He said the FF#1 on the wall regularly sold every month or so, and was then quickly replaced with another from the box in the back. Sidebottom didn't want to kill the market by releasing his comics all at once, so he priced them a little high and sold them one by one.