• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Signature Series Window Bags
1 1

14 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2022 at 12:04 PM, ak47po said:

No experience with these is guess by your comment????

I haven't bought them, because if I was going to limit the writing space, I would do it on my own.

If you only like your comics signed in the middle, then I'm sure these would be good for you.

They severely limit where the signer can sign.  There wasn't much thought put into them, just a money grab.

1. Put your book in a bag.
  2. Use painter's tape to outline the area you want available for sig.
  3. Take book out, leave board in.
  4. Use Exacto or razor blade to cut through painter's tape.

In my case below, I slid them sideways into Treasury sized bags and that created a flap to cover them.  Magazine bags would work too.

1896824795_Screenshot_20220908-122753_Instagram2.thumb.jpg.95e64010d40a2105c7a06f2b67f61234.jpg

pretty easy and cheaper to make yourself.  And you get more control over where the sig goes if you do it yourself. But I'm sure those bags are fine.

On 9/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, Chaz G. said:

Also, unless they changed their procedures, they don't send them back to you. So you're only renting them.

That is correct, you need to re-bag the books if you don't want the Sig Series window bags to end up re-packaged and re-sold disposed of as normal by CGC.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:36 AM, 'Lorider said:
On 9/8/2022 at 11:22 AM, Baka_Oni said:

$12 for 20 isn't bad.

Using your own bags at 8 cents apiece is better (thumbsu

maybe.  Its kinda like getting takeout vs cooking yourself.  Generally cooking yourself is cheaper, but if its your first time cooking a dish and you gotta get ingredients (and maybe cooking equipment), and find 30 minutes to cook, and look up recipes, its not always an obvious slam dunk in every instance.  Of course the benefits are its cheaper, get to customize easier, and you'll get better at it for next time.  But....

Sometimes you just want the comfort and convenience and CLEARLY ACCEPTABLE CONSISTENCY of someone doing it for you, even at a higher price point (this may depend on the given income level of the person).

Starting entirely from scratch, how long do you would think it would take to make 20 window bags?  Assuming you buy bags and tape online, you watch a 5-7 minute video twice, assume 2+ minutes per bag, I think you're at about an hour.  Your cost: about $1.60 in bags, maybe 40 cents worth of extras (bags you messed up on, tape, minimal partial cost of your cutting tool).  So $2 total to do it yourself and an hour of your time.

So really you're paying $12 for 20 bags shipped to your house, or $2 in materials to make it yourself and 1 hr.  So really the question is (and the answer might be different in different contexts for different people), is that hour of your time worth $10 ($12-$2)?

At first I was making my own but after I factored in the time to exacto-knife a standard bag and be scared of putting tape around the edges and having a tear or bit of tape adhere to the comic itself resulting in damage (yes I put the comic in the bag after everything). Just decided to get the CGC Bags for ease and not as picky as others on where a signature should be placed. I leave that up to the artist. But that's just me. 

Edited by rexinnih