• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA Collecting

55 posts in this topic

How have people focused their Silver Age collecting?

Do you buy a certain company? A certain title? Particular characters (regardless of title)? Randomly purchase anything you want? Cool looking pieces? Artists/writers?

Just curious. I feel that I lose a focus every once in awhile. When focused, the collection feels more robust.

Pat

Uh Tim... since this thread is in the "Silver" forum, I assume all replies will be SA?! makepoint.gif

Anyhoo, I can be even more narrow than thou:

Take your collecting interest list, and pare it down to JLA only (I've even sold most of my pristine Flashes & GL's to help $upport my last remaining title)! However, I am what you would call a"step-method" collector.

To wit:

1-22 9.0+

23-50 9.2+

51-100 9.4+

101-200 9.6+

201-261 9.8+

This makes completing the set an actual POSSIBILITY!

(How long before a 9.4 #4 becomes available Tim? Tim? Hellooo?) poke2.gif

Rick

I recently finished my collection of all Captain America appearances in TOS, and am starting on the Sub-Mariner appearances in TTA. Pretty much strictly mid-grade at the moment (4.0-7.0)

I prefer SA Marvel superhero titles, but I've got most of the "low-hanging fruit" I'm looking for and am now extending backwards into FF pre-40, TOS pre-55, X-Men pre-12 ST pre-135, etc. Not too much into Spider-Man or Hulk for some reason, but I'll consider good buys.

DC-wise, I'm a big Brave & Bold fan, probably in part because #151 started off my collection, way back in 1979. So I'm slowly going for that whole run -- I have about 150 of the 200, but most of the ones I need are in the hard-to-find and pricey first 50. I also dabble in Batman/Detective and Superman/Action but am not complete nearly as far back as I am on the Marvels I collect.

I've picked up a few Strange Adventures lately because I like science fiction stories and the title seems to have nice covers and you can get 5.0-7.0 copies pretty cheaply if the issue doesn't have Animal Man in it. Still trying to decide whether to collect the title in earnest, as the stories are a little more simplistic than I had hoped.

I'm only collecting reading copies (same as my GA and BA collecting). Mainly TOS Iron Man, but I'd also like to check out early Flash. I've always liked Grodd and I just read a reprint of #133 featuring Vandal Savage that I liked.

Any Marvel Silver/Bronze Age book that is priced right when I have some disposable income is fair game! Though, I've spent up all my cash over the last 6 months on raw Marvel pedigreed books from the late 60s and early 70s.

Uh Tim... since this thread is in the "Silver" forum, I assume all replies will be SA?! makepoint.gif

Anyhoo, I can be even more narrow than thou:

Take your collecting interest list, and pare it down to JLA only (I've even sold most of my pristine Flashes & GL's to help $upport my last remaining title)! However, I am what you would call a"step-method" collector.

To wit:

1-22 9.0+

23-50 9.2+

51-100 9.4+

101-200 9.6+

201-261 9.8+

This makes completing the set an actual POSSIBILITY!

(How long before a 9.4 #4 becomes available Tim? Tim? Hellooo?) poke2.gif

Rick

I was a step collector as well....the only way for me to come close to completing my old X men run foreheadslap.gif

#1 8.0

#2-5 8.5-9.2

#6-20 9.2-9.4

#21 on 9.4 or better

I've now gone from runs to just collecting favourite books...basically a "collection of grails". I don't have the $$ to put together runs in the grades i like so i want to enjoy every book i own. I found that in every run there were books that i did not really like. Having a run of favourite books is far more fun for now....i seem to change my focus from time to time bt this is where i am now.

I will probably have to take the step approach to my collecting as well. But I never try to rule out the possibility of a good deal. I have noticed on my GA's for example, that some dealers have been discounting slabs or pedigrees. Where possible, if they fit in my budget, I buy. I try to get whole lots but those are pretty rare for GA's.

I was a step collector as well....the only way for me to come close to completing my old X men run foreheadslap.gif

#1 8.0

#2-5 8.5-9.2

#6-20 9.2-9.4

#21 on 9.4 or better

I've now gone from runs to just collecting favourite books...basically a "collection of grails". I don't have the $$ to put together runs in the grades i like so i want to enjoy every book i own. I found that in every run there were books that i did not really like. Having a run of favourite books is far more fun for now....i seem to change my focus from time to time bt this is where i am now.

I've got a short list of SA grails I'd like to own someday...

ASM 39

FF 3

Flash 123

Hulk 1

Showcase 22

SS 4

ST 101

Strange 1

But other comics keep taking precedence (cool GA books like Batman 1-20, SA/BA runs).

BTW - Are the original early X-Men stories reprinted anywhere? I've always wanted to read them but Masterworks starts at GSX 1.

ASM 39

FF 3

Flash 123

Hulk 1

Showcase 22

SS 4

ST 101

Strange 1

But other comics keep taking precedence (cool GA books like Batman 1-20, SA/BA runs).

Nice list especially Shocase 22 and Hulk 1.

ASM 39

FF 3

Flash 123

Hulk 1

Showcase 22

SS 4

ST 101

Strange 1

Nice list especially Shocase 22 and Hulk 1.

They are, in my opinion, the two best SA origin comics as far as the origin story of the characters and the cover art.

Guess I like the color green alot, too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

#1 8.0

#2-5 8.5-9.2

#6-20 9.2-9.4

#21 on 9.4 or better

ASM 39

FF 3

Flash 123

Hulk 1

Showcase 22

SS 4

ST 101

Strange 1

BTW - Are the original early X-Men stories reprinted anywhere? I've always wanted to read them but Masterworks starts at GSX 1.

There is a run from the 80's where the origial X men stories were reprinted....it was Amazing Adventures....check out the link:

Xmen reprints

I only collect reading copies (because I want to be able to sit down and read them [number one] and not have to worry about having a heart attack if I drop it or accidentally crease a page, etc. [number two]), and I am working on full runs that will hopefully one day be complete! smile.gif