• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received a 9.8 on this. Spoke to CGC - she said it’s a legit 9.8. Still new to grading. Thoughts?
4 4

62 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2022 at 7:50 AM, CGC Mike said:

Sure.  To be clear though, the we stand behind comment was not directed towards something like this.

OP contacted the appropriate people in the appropriate manner and was told; "we stand by our grade, go scratch" 
It's nice that you're going to look into this, but customers shouldn't have to come begging at the public forums for this kind of thing.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:45 PM, jokersonyou said:

? What’s the context here?

As customer service explained to you, they stand by their grade. Now that you've been forced to publicly call them out hopefully you'll receive service instead of being told you're wrong and to kick rocks. My quote was from a thread regarding another recent grading issue.

Not SCS. There is a tear on the outside edge of the book and everything lays flat. This damage, based on my professional opinion looks like it was damaged and then pressed. 

While you are at it Mike, you can let QC know about this book that was dropped while at CGC. I do have the scans of the book before submitting it. And no, it is not the result of a poor pressing job. 

78FE0F4C-8F25-46A2-9D6E-ED0E9281706F.thumb.jpeg.cfa1f10500b602fdfaf5656dbc656e76.jpeg

7D27B35F-052B-41A1-9584-5043BCA5D546.thumb.jpeg.29e8ba15b67cbf37acff2d370c304d7d.jpeg

I think that all of these QC issues probably stem from hiring non-comic book people.

I think it would be safe to say that CGC was employing mostly people who had some affinity for the medium, right? With all of their expansions over the past 2-3 years, they must have had to employ more and more people who simply don't care about funny books. These people likely don't realize how much care needs to be put into processes to keep everything copacetic and us customers happy.

I think that CGC's business is a reflection of the watering-down of the comic book collecting community.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:26 AM, Spawnfreak said:

I'm with Janet on this one. Yes, sometimes comics move inside the case. BUT, there is no way that the corners could get bent back far enough to cause color breaking creases. Absolutely impossible.

Try it yourself. Put a comic between 2 sheets of glass, and try to bend the corners. I know, I know, the comic is looser in the slab, but you cannot bend the corner far enough to do that kind of damage.

There are only two choices here; the comic was sent in like this, or damaged by CGC! Could not happen once encapsulated. CGC needs to step up big time on this one. Suck it up, pay the man for a 9.8,

and either fire the grader, or give lots more training to said grader. This is what comes of hiring many more graders under pressure of many more submissions. I think I'm done, now, so start throwing them darts!:devil:

Really appreciate this.  I agree.  

Personally I think having this out there reflects poorly, but what do I know :)

• Administrator
On 9/15/2022 at 9:14 AM, Shazbot said:

OP contacted the appropriate people in the appropriate manner and was told; "we stand by our grade, go scratch" 

Ah, I was going by the post in this thread that showed I said that.  

On 9/15/2022 at 5:50 AM, CGC Mike said:

Sure.  To be clear though, the we stand behind comment was not directed towards something like this.  I do agree that a mistake was made or it is a severe case of SCS.

To clarify - is SCS shaken case syndrome?

On 9/15/2022 at 7:14 AM, Shazbot said:

It's nice that you're going to look into this, but customers shouldn't have to come begging at the public forums for this kind of thing.

As customer service explained to you, they stand by their grade. Now that you've been forced to publicly call them out hopefully you'll receive service instead of being told you're wrong and to kick rocks. My quote was from a thread regarding another recent grading issue.

Thanks.  By context I was wondering if that thread comment had been directed to my 9.8 specifically.  

On 9/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, jsilverjanet said:

That type of damage on a modern book is graded about an 8.5 by CGC standards based on my previous submission 

I was actually thinking this looks more like an 8.5....wow.

And I agree ,it doesn`t look like damage after encapsulation but maybe a drop from grading to encapsulation.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:37 AM, jokersonyou said:

I have done 20 or so books personally graded.  Very new to this. I received this one back on Friday. There are 2 color breaking bends to the corner and another color breaking hit an inch to the right.  I received a 9.8.  

Over the weekend I received second and third opinions.  They felt I got lucky.      

When I called CGC my first contact today after reviewing the pictures was they stood by the 9.8.  “Maybe it was a 10 otherwise” and they thought the damage was minimal. “Could be an issue they see with that book on a consistent basis.”   

Looking for more experienced thoughts than my own :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

90E224A3-5F56-4723-829A-5D18B2F57867.jpeg

image.jpg

Hi,

I am late to this party, my apologies.

I highly recommend you image the books you send in either by taking good photos or scanning them.

There is another option with this book: it is a different book entirely from the one you submitted.

On 9/22/2022 at 4:01 PM, Artboy99 said:

I highly recommend you image the books you send in either by taking good photos or scanning them.

That also goes for graded books that have been damaged and are going back to CGC for a "fix" or review. I had returned (ME) two graded 9.8 books with post-grade damage and CGC regraded them to a 9.4 and just sent them back without contacting me regarding the change. I called customer service and found that there was no record of them originally being 9.8. The original submission list was changed to 9.4 but luckily I had taken a screen shot of the sub list prior to sending them back, showing they were originally 9.8's.

Edited by jokiing

On 9/25/2022 at 8:23 PM, jokiing said:

That also goes for graded books that have been damaged and are going back to CGC for a "fix" or review. I had returned (ME) two graded 9.8 books with post-grade damage and CGC regraded them to a 9.4 and just sent them back without contacting me regarding the change. I called customer service and found that there was no record of them originally being 9.8. The original submission list was changed to 9.4 but luckily I had taken a screen shot of the sub list prior to sending them back, showing they were originally 9.8's.

Q/C issues aside what you have described is far more concerning as a cover-up was performed.  In the firm I work for, mistakes usually slide without any future repercussions, but cover-ups are intentional malice and lead to immediate dismissal. .

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/25/2022 at 7:34 PM, MAR1979 said:

Q/C issues aside what you have described is far more concerning as a cover-up was performed.  In the firm I work for mistakes usually slide without any future repercussions, but cover-ups are intentional malice and lead to immediate dismissal. .

Yes, I was surprised when customer service asked me if I had pictures showing that the books were originally 9.8 and a bit shocked when I went to my submission page and found that the original grades on the original submission list were changed. Was it a deliberate attempt at a cover up? I don't know, but CGC shouldn't be damaging our books and think a regrade is a fix and ignore their obligations to their customers for their mistakes.