• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Spawn from Todd McFarlane and Greg Capullo 12/13/2022
1 1

104 posts in this topic

Anyone seen the Barnes and Noble copies ? I don’t store near me but can’t imagine these are in good shape with the kids and others reading them at the store. 

also seeing a bit of a tear on the back upper right corner top of spine on many copies - anyone else noticing this?

On 12/18/2022 at 2:14 PM, JoeBrrr said:

Anyone seen the Barnes and Noble copies ? I don’t store near me but can’t imagine these are in good shape with the kids and others reading them at the store. 

also seeing a bit of a tear on the back upper right corner top of spine on many copies - anyone else noticing this?

I picked up a few and they're pretty clean. Most have some corner nicks but nothing major. One of the B&Ns here were sold out because one person bought them all.

On 12/18/2022 at 4:00 AM, Erndog said:

I've been busy the last little bit and haven't got a chance to hop into my LCS but where are all the signed copies?  I can't seem to find a single one in hand.  ???

All I see is stock photo

My LCS said they are coming out mid January, or a month late, for some reason. I guess Todd is taking an extra long Christmas vacation and can't sign until he comes back? lol 

Edited by kimik

On 12/19/2022 at 2:17 AM, kimik said:

My LCS said they are coming out mid January, or a month late, for some reason. I guess Todd is taking an extra long Christmas vacation and can't sign until he comes back? lol 

Ahhh okay, I was pretty dumbfounded why I couldn't find a single live copy.  I figured something was up.  Thanks! 

On 12/17/2022 at 7:30 PM, Erndog said:

Anyone grab the 1:1000 double sig?

My store has 1 and offering it to me.  Debating it.

I would say go for it if the price is reasonable. Maybe I am wrong, but due to the cover price I do not see this book selling 1 million copies, which, if every order was a qualifying 1000 copies (and we know that won't be the case), would mean 1,100 - 1,200 copies if you include 10-20% overprint for damages. Combine Batman variant fans + Spawn variant fans + McFarlane variant fans and it should be a worthwhile purchase long term.

On 12/19/2022 at 11:57 AM, kimik said:

I would say go for it if the price is reasonable. Maybe I am wrong, but due to the cover price I do not see this book selling 1 million copies, which, if every order was a qualifying 1000 copies (and we know that won't be the case), would mean 1,100 - 1,200 copies if you include 10-20% overprint for damages. Combine Batman variant fans + Spawn variant fans + McFarlane variant fans and it should be a worthwhile purchase long term.

None of these high ratio signed variants have held their price from initial market release.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:27 AM, ygogolak said:

None of these high ratio signed variants have held their price from initial market release.

The King/Gunslinger/Scorched #1 1:250s have held up decently. Not the absolute peak, but they are selling now for what they were in 9.8 just a short while after release + grading time. I think this one will have more legs as it is a Spawn+Batman play and has a broader audience. The other three were nice books, but nowhere near as popular as this one will be.

FWIW, if you set up at shows, the way to play any of these Spawn high ratio signed books is to buy enough copies of the regular issues to qualify for them. You will be able to sell the regular covers for $10+ in short order, and selling the ratio variants tend to put you in a profit position from the start.

Edited by kimik

On 12/19/2022 at 1:31 PM, kimik said:

The King/Gunslinger/Scorched #1 1:250s have held up decently. Not the absolute peak, but they are selling now for what they were in 9.8 just a short while after release + grading time. I think this one will have more legs as it is a Spawn+Batman play and has a broader audience. The other three were nice books, but nowhere near as popular as this one will be.

FWIW, if you set up at shows, the way to play any of these Spawn high ratio signed books is to buy enough copies of the regular issues to qualify for them. You will be able to sell the regular covers for $10+ in short order, and selling the ratio variants tend to put you in a profit position from the start.

They really haven't though. I'm not going to do all of them, but here is King Spawn #1.

eBay sales for King Spawn #1 Signed McFarlane. This would include raw and graded and books other than the signed incentive. Some listings use 1,687 and some use 1:250.ebay.jpg

CGC sales have gone from about $1,200 in 2021 to about $600 in 2022. The highs are obvious shills looking at the sales data.

cgc.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

On 12/20/2022 at 1:49 AM, JoeBrrr said:

I’m having complete paralysis of choice here - love too many of these covers. Not looking to make a spec or flip play here so will probably just choose my favorite art and let it rock?

That's how I started approaching the main Spawn title.  

I didn't want to own every cover anymore.  Was silly.  So each month that it's out I just pick my favourite cover, regardless of variant/copy A/B/C/whatever.

At the end of the day I have a run of Spawn with my absolute fav covers.  

Looks like this issue is already heading toward the dollar box (hate it say it). I personally enjoyed the book and art.

Link to issue

I ordered one, will see if the seller follows through. Quite surprised, really, at this price so soon.

Edited by mgroetz

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/printwatch-spawn-batman-gets-seconds/

Spawn/Batman Gets Seconds

You knew this was coming.

PrintWatch: Batman/Spawn #1 by Todd McFarlane and Greg Capullo returns for a second printing from DC Comics, giving fans another chance to pick up the epic collision between DC's Batman and Image Comics' Spawn, with two open-to-order covers, both by Capullo, McFarlane, and Dave McCaig. The covers reprint the two main covers for the one-shot, with Batman standing over Spawn and Spawn standing over Batman, along with recoloured logos. Batman/Spawn #1 Second Printing is on Final Order Cutoff for the 8th of January, with an on-sale date of the 7th of February.

unnamed-2022-12-22T133437_210.thumb.webp.fa75e1b43a582a800ef09708372f7e72.webp

unnamed-2022-12-22T133438_479.thumb.webp.28f1134b972bb29f5d3e4bf0389969ee.webp

On 12/22/2022 at 10:01 AM, JoeBrrr said:

What happens to the double signed variants when graded? Qualified? Yellow or blue?

I was wondering if they'd do a CGC certificate like they did with KS 1, GS 1, and Scorched 1. I would think so. How many millions did TM just make for them with his signing?

On 12/22/2022 at 12:40 PM, jazawlacki said:

I was wondering if they'd do a CGC certificate like they did with KS 1, GS 1, and Scorched 1. I would think so. How many millions did TM just make for them with his signing?

Certificate? Was the label a SS or a blue?