• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well Known Comic Shop assumes no responsibility for selling me a restored $500 TOD 1
3 3

32 posts in this topic

I purchased an undisclosed restored tomb of Dracula 1 ($500) from a well known comic book shop based out of the west coast.
I’ve recently learned about the color touch when I submitted the comic to be graded at cgc. 

I’ve reached out via email to let them know and there manager  wants to do nothing to help me, assuming no responsibility.  There policy is once a raw comic book is mailed out there is no way to know if it’s the same book they sent me.  

Now I’ve spent close to 10k with them online either website or live ig claim sale and this is the first issue I’ve ever braught to there attention.  

What should I do now?

On 9/24/2022 at 7:08 PM, CommunityComics said:

I purchased an undisclosed restored tomb of Dracula 1 ($500) from a well known comic book shop based out of the west coast.
I’ve recently learned about the color touch when I submitted the comic to be graded at cgc. 

I’ve reached out via email to let them know and there manager  wants to do nothing to help me, assuming no responsibility.  There policy is once a raw comic book is mailed out there is no way to know if it’s the same book they sent me.  

Now I’ve spent close to 10k with them online either website or live ig claim sale and this is the first issue I’ve ever braught to there attention.  

What should I do now?

If you paid by card open a dispute with the issuer ASAP! 

BTW no surprise on the dealer reaction.  While I'm sure honest Comic Dealers and Comic Shop Owners exist, in all my years I've never met a single one.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/24/2022 at 7:12 PM, MAR1979 said:

If you paid by card open a dispute with the issuer ASAP! 

BTW no surprise on the dealer reaction.  While I'm sure honest Comic Dealers and Comic Shop Owners exist, in all my years I've never met a single one.

When it comes to online ones I was pleased that http://metropoliscomics.com actually gave me money back on a book I bought raw from them when it came back as restored 2 years later (I didn't submit it right away and it sat around in my PC). 

The color touch was no doubt "undisclosed" because the seller is no better at spotting color touch than you (the OP) are.

If the sale of the book has been in the last three months and you paid with a credit/debit card or in the last six months and you paid with PayPal, then open a "item not as described" claim. If the sale was longer ago than that, there isn't anything you can do.  Consider it the cost of education. Try to learn how to spot color touch and send books in for grading sooner & pay for fast enough service that if there is restoration you have time to return the book. 

Some here might object to what I have said. I am not saying how things ideally should be. We don't live in an ideal world - I am saying how they are in the real world. The OP asked what they could do.  Above is a factual response on what they can (or cannot) do. 

On 9/25/2022 at 1:56 AM, Tony S said:

The color touch was no doubt "undisclosed" because the seller is no better at spotting color touch than you (the OP) are.

im not sure if that’s true, and I’m not sure I agree, this is a very big organization in the industry with in-house graders ( all their raw books have grades literally printed on the backing board the books come bagged in) they have a giant catalog and several locations.  They sell books from current titles to 100k pedigree books, and are actively selling at least 3 or 4 times a day on Ig claim sales and conventions, and if they don’t know how to spot color then that is there negligence.  they either should figure out how to or simply just take responsibility when issues occur.  

On 9/25/2022 at 8:01 AM, CommunityComics said:

im not sure if that’s true, and I’m not sure I agree, this is a very big organization in the industry with in-house graders ( all their raw books have grades literally printed on the backing board the books come bagged in) they have a giant catalog and several locations.  They sell books from current titles to 100k pedigree books, and are actively selling at least 3 or 4 times a day on Ig claim sales and conventions, and if they don’t know how to spot color then that is there negligence.  they either should figure out how to or simply just take responsibility when issues occur.  

So you also take no responsibility for missing the color touch?

I'd make up flyers, recruit a few people to help you hand them out and hang out in front of his shop.  Make signs encouraging people in cars to honk their horns. 

If the book came with a grade on it, and didn't mention the color touch, the shop is 100% wrong not to do something for you.  That is fraud. 

It's funny how everyone naturally assumes the OP is honest, and demands the head of the "well known comic shop."

No one has a single clue as to what is actually going on, and simply just jumps to the conclusion that the dealer is in the wrong.

Hell, we have no idea if any of this actually happened. lol

Ah, the internet. Destroying critical thinking since 1991. :banana:

On 9/25/2022 at 12:04 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

It's funny how everyone naturally assumes the OP is honest, and demands the head of the "well known comic shop."

No one has a single clue as to what is actually going on, and simply just jumps to the conclusion that the dealer is in the wrong.

Or without knowing the name it’s akin to howling at the moon which is best done in private. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:04 AM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

I go through life assuming people I meet are honest. If I'm wrong, they'll reveal themselves soon enough. I believe most honest people think that way. 

Any store or dealer who refuses a return the moment they ship deserves to be called out.