• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Ian
3 3

82 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, joeypost said:

CGC’s faculty is secure. Obviously a direct hit could be catastrophic but, for the moment, the storm is tracking north and west of Sarasota. 

We have had a lot of rain the last month in central Florida. My fear is localized flooding since the outer bands dump a lot of rain and it appears we will be hit by that edge of the storm. 

I drove through a deluge leaving Florida a few weeks ago. 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:30 AM, joeypost said:

:gossip: are all the comics in the main building?

Don't know, but I am just glad it isn't the original Sarasota building.  I think that was just corrugated sheet metal.  The first time I left there I was afraid.  Not the best neighborhood in the world and it looked like one of the houses that the big bad wolf would blow down.

I lived in Baton Rouge 2002-2008 (notably Hurricanes Ivan, Katrina & Rita). We'd routinely lose power for up to a week at a time and to BTR is where NOLA ppl often evacuate. Lost power, local flooding, storm surge up intercoastal canals, road/bridge damage, waste removal, supply chain disruptions for months (food, gas, construction materials), queues, downed trees, powerlines ... ugh. 

Is it true Tampa area hasn't been directly hit since the early 1920s? 

If so that does not bode well. An ax in the attic was the old Louisiana adage after Hurricane Betsy. You keep an ax in your attic... knowledge mostly forgotten by 2005.