• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New and Improved FedEx/CGC Shipping Connection? In a Word... Meh.

24 posts in this topic

A brief tale told by an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, full of sound (but not fury), signifying nothing - other than caution.

After many months of lounging at home with no deliveries, I started travels on a three week vacation.  This of course was the precise moment FedEx sends a couple of emails stating that two packages are en route from CGC.  I always leave a succinct, boldly typed sheet on my front door (hidden from street view so as not to invite pilferers) asking USPS/UPS/FedEx packages be delivered to my neighbors a couple of doors down with the appropriate name and address and have never had a problem.  Still, I followed the links and attempted to stall delivery but "shipper does not allow this change to shipment" (paraphrasing).  I tried to change delivery address, same result.  I tried to have it held at a FedEx facility, same result.  Actually any attempted change, despite continued friendly FedEx messages encouraging me to customize my delivery, were met with the same result.  I then logged to my account and placed a "Vacation Hold" status on all deliveries (maximum time allowed was three weeks) and held my breath, which turned out to be just as useful.  While overseas, I could only helplessly watch as delivery attempt after delivery attempt was made, with dutiful emails letting me know another attempt would be scheduled.  After all the requisite attempts were made (unsurprisingly unsuccessful), the last email informed me the shipper would be contacted for further instructions.

When I got back, I immediately contacted FedEx who would not allow a re-delivery or for me to pick up the packages at their facility because "shipper does not allow this change to shipment."  They suggested I contact CGC, which I had to do via email as - Sockamagee! - it was late Friday and there was no one to answer a phone for the W/E.  Though the email was dutifully sent, the next day I got a notification from FedEx helpfully telling me that the packages were going to be sent back to the shipper.   I again called FedEx and re-told the story, ending with “let’s wait to hear from the shipper…  you know, the one you told me to contact.”  This representative seemed more open to the idea of sending the packages to a FedEx facility for me to pick up, though he would have to contact the “central facility” where they were actually being held and talk to a manager to see if such a thing could be done(!).  While he graciously suggested some pick-up locations that were 500, then 600 miles away, I boldly suggested that a facility somewhat closer to the actual delivery zip code, say 20 blocks from my house, might even be better.

Two days later I got an email from FedEx telling me the packages had arrived at the facility so I raced down there Quicksilver-like, only to be told by the two representatives manning the counter that tracking numbers showed they had been delivered to my house.  Having been there myself, I assured them that hadn’t happened.  Then they regrouped and told me there was no way the packages could have been delivered to them because that facility was only for shipping, while ground P/U were always sent to Facility B.  I then showed them the email from FedEx which printed out the address of the facility where they had been delivered (that is to say…RIGHT THERE).  Since this contradicted the tracking number information, I had now successfully stumped the band (What do I win, Johnny?).  At this point, one of these gifted whiz kids – and I swear I’m not making this up – turned her head to the left, looked at a corner on the floor behind the counter, and said:  “Oh… are these the ones?”  I tried not to be overtly grabby as they handed them to me, then I asked if they needed to see some ID or maybe even have to sign for them since they might, you know, have something of value.  They waved me away, saying that the packages weren’t even supposed to be there so there was no record in their system that needed me to confirm delivery.  Whew!  I don’t know why I was even worried after all that crack security exhibited from beginning to end by this Distributing Dynamo!  If I ever get a response back from CGC (still waiting) I'll be sure to let them know that everyone's books are in safe hands with these guys on the job!

Well, it turned out the story was not brief, but I still contend it to be cautionary.

I've said it before, I'm going to say it again now, and I will definitely be saying it in the future:

I hate FedEx. They are - without question - the worst parcel delivery service available.

FedEx drops-off my EveryPlate packages, and I'm surprised that both orders have been delivered correctly so far.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:47 AM, shadroch said:

I hope you learned never to leave your house again. Had you stayed home, your books would have been delivered safely weeks ago. Something for others to consider.  The system works, until people decide to take a joyride and go to Europa or whereever. When you send you books of for a yearlong vacation in Florida, you have an obligation to meet them when they finally return.

Right?  That's what I told my wife, impressing on her that since deliveries are erratic, we would have to permanently stay home.  I mean... that's what a home is for anyway.  We would save money on those totally unnecessary European trips (let's face it... they don't like us there anyway), gas, eating out, etc.  All savings could go towards more comics.  I thought "win-win."  She had other thoughts.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

On 9/27/2022 at 9:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've said it before, I'm going to say it again now, and I will definitely be saying it in the future:

I hate FedEx. They are - without question - the worst parcel delivery service available.

FedEx drops-off my EveryPlate packages, and I'm surprised that both orders have been delivered correctly so far.

We've had our fair share of problems with FedEx - but over the years, I've discovered that it seems to matter where you live. Where I live now? USPS all the way. Absolutely ZERO problems with USPS in three years. FedEx where I live now isn't bad, but can be a hassle and we have to drive 45 miles to pick up packages at their depot about every third time. Three years ago? I HATED USPS where I lived, FedEx would deliver without issue. UPS always seems to be consistent.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:47 AM, shadroch said:

I hope you learned never to leave your house again. Had you stayed home, your books would have been delivered safely weeks ago. Something for others to consider.  The system works, until people decide to take a joyride and go to Europa or whereever. When you send you books of for a yearlong vacation in Florida, you have an obligation to meet them when they finally return.

This is FedEx. You can be home 24/7 and they'll still lie through their teeth about a unsuccessful delivery attempt.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:22 AM, cd4ever said:

Fedex can be frustrating.  No flexibility. 

I think a lot of that depends on the shippers instructions. I've called FedEx and asked for a package to be be held or sent to an alternate address and on occasion have been told the shipper won't allow any changes. I don't use them enough to know the ins and outs.

I'm currently awaiting a FedEx return of books... first scheduled delivery: Oct 7.  On the truck for delivery.  Delayed.  Next scheduled delivery: Oct 10.  On the truck for delivery.  Delayed.  Next scheduled delivery: Oct 11.

So what's been happening? Looking into the tracking details, no delivery attempts were made.  NO DELIVERY ATTEMPTS MADE.  Apparently they're just taking my slabs out for joyrides.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:34 AM, wardevil0 said:

I'm currently awaiting a FedEx return of books... first scheduled delivery: Oct 7.  On the truck for delivery.  Delayed.  Next scheduled delivery: Oct 10.  On the truck for delivery.  Delayed.  Next scheduled delivery: Oct 11.

So what's been happening? Looking into the tracking details, no delivery attempts were made.  NO DELIVERY ATTEMPTS MADE.  Apparently they're just taking my slabs out for joyrides.

Another day.

On FedEx vehicle for delivery.

Delivery exception. Delivery delayed. Delivery scheduled for next business day.

Three days in a row the box has been on the truck for delivery but not delivered.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:11 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

A brief tale told by an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, full of sound (but not fury), signifying nothing - other than caution.

After many months of lounging at home with no deliveries, I started travels on a three week vacation.  This of course was the precise moment FedEx sends a couple of emails stating that two packages are en route from CGC.  I always leave a succinct, boldly typed sheet on my front door (hidden from street view so as not to invite pilferers) asking USPS/UPS/FedEx packages be delivered to my neighbors a couple of doors down with the appropriate name and address and have never had a problem.  Still, I followed the links and attempted to stall delivery but "shipper does not allow this change to shipment" (paraphrasing).  I tried to change delivery address, same result.  I tried to have it held at a FedEx facility, same result.  Actually any attempted change, despite continued friendly FedEx messages encouraging me to customize my delivery, were met with the same result.  I then logged to my account and placed a "Vacation Hold" status on all deliveries (maximum time allowed was three weeks) and held my breath, which turned out to be just as useful.  While overseas, I could only helplessly watch as delivery attempt after delivery attempt was made, with dutiful emails letting me know another attempt would be scheduled.  After all the requisite attempts were made (unsurprisingly unsuccessful), the last email informed me the shipper would be contacted for further instructions.

When I got back, I immediately contacted FedEx who would not allow a re-delivery or for me to pick up the packages at their facility because "shipper does not allow this change to shipment."  They suggested I contact CGC, which I had to do via email as - Sockamagee! - it was late Friday and there was no one to answer a phone for the W/E.  Though the email was dutifully sent, the next day I got a notification from FedEx helpfully telling me that the packages were going to be sent back to the shipper.   I again called FedEx and re-told the story, ending with “let’s wait to hear from the shipper…  you know, the one you told me to contact.”  This representative seemed more open to the idea of sending the packages to a FedEx facility for me to pick up, though he would have to contact the “central facility” where they were actually being held and talk to a manager to see if such a thing could be done(!).  While he graciously suggested some pick-up locations that were 500, then 600 miles away, I boldly suggested that a facility somewhat closer to the actual delivery zip code, say 20 blocks from my house, might even be better.

Two days later I got an email from FedEx telling me the packages had arrived at the facility so I raced down there Quicksilver-like, only to be told by the two representatives manning the counter that tracking numbers showed they had been delivered to my house.  Having been there myself, I assured them that hadn’t happened.  Then they regrouped and told me there was no way the packages could have been delivered to them because that facility was only for shipping, while ground P/U were always sent to Facility B.  I then showed them the email from FedEx which printed out the address of the facility where they had been delivered (that is to say…RIGHT THERE).  Since this contradicted the tracking number information, I had now successfully stumped the band (What do I win, Johnny?).  At this point, one of these gifted whiz kids – and I swear I’m not making this up – turned her head to the left, looked at a corner on the floor behind the counter, and said:  “Oh… are these the ones?”  I tried not to be overtly grabby as they handed them to me, then I asked if they needed to see some ID or maybe even have to sign for them since they might, you know, have something of value.  They waved me away, saying that the packages weren’t even supposed to be there so there was no record in their system that needed me to confirm delivery.  Whew!  I don’t know why I was even worried after all that crack security exhibited from beginning to end by this Distributing Dynamo!  If I ever get a response back from CGC (still waiting) I'll be sure to let them know that everyone's books are in safe hands with these guys on the job!

Well, it turned out the story was not brief, but I still contend it to be cautionary.

You should call them up and ask for information about where they are. Note I'm not saying you should ask for compensation for packages that the system should indicate are pretty much lost, because of the way they handled things, but they need to learn a lesson about tracking things better, and making them sweat a bit over packages potentially worth thousands is maybe a good idea.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:33 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

You should call them up and ask for information about where they are. Note I'm not saying you should ask for compensation for packages that the system should indicate are pretty much lost, because of the way they handled things, but they need to learn a lesson about tracking things better, and making them sweat a bit over packages potentially worth thousands is maybe a good idea.

I called the customer service, 1-800-GoFedEx, and after navigating the computer interaction to finally get to a person, he basically just read the tracking info to me.

"No problem, it's scheduled for delivery next business day!" 

"But what about the previous times it said it was on the truck but nothing happened?"

*shrug over the phone*

On 10/12/2022 at 11:33 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I usually just get (as @wardevil0 remarked above) someone who just recites what's online.  Heck, the boxes were just feet away from the representative, recently deposited within the last hour, and she still had no clue.  Almost.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:34 AM, wardevil0 said:

31ah-groundhogday-movies-superJumbo.jpg

I buy most of the stuff I want on-line. When it's delivered by Fed-Ex the Company. I purchased from sends me an E-Mail saying it was delivered at 12:60 PM on Thursday.

About a week or more later it finally showed up at my house. This happens way to often were it's so far behind what they say and when it shows up. I look for another option for delivery if available instead of Fed-Ex.

Box arrived yesterday.  Slightly crushed, but contents inside were just fine.

Checked in by CGC: 23 September

Shipped by CGC: 5 October

Elapsed time: 12 days

Accepted by FedEx: 5 October

Delivered by FedEx: 17 October

Elapsed time: 12 days