• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you CGC grade a polybag comic
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2022 at 2:10 PM, Topnotchman said:

As a recommendation, you should take it out of the poly bag on your own, review the condition.  Than get the book pressed before grading as the books are known to get bag dents on the covers. 

But totally up to you. You can send it in the bag with a note telling Cgc to remove the bag.

not the best for the grade of the comic, but totally a valid option

On 9/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, JD112868 said:

Do they remove it from the polybag ?  

For example I have X-Force #1 with Deadpool card.  How would they grade it and encapsulate it.

thanks in advance

Out of curiosity, separately submit the poly bag. I bet they will grade and encase it. 

On 9/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, JD112868 said:

Do they remove it from the polybag ?  

For example I have X-Force #1 with Deadpool card.  How would they grade it and encapsulate it.

thanks in advance

Absolutely have them pressed!!! Might as well remove the bag and keep your card too...

I won an auction for a dozen Cable Sealed polybags last winter from a large prolific & "reputable" Ebay seller, listed as "NM/M New in Bag"... EVERY SINGLE ONE of them received an 8.5 or less... they are now just paperweights in my closet that can't be sold. Here is a small sampling of those with some of my others...

image.png.dd04c9010e8e94790be24d0e087beef1.png

Not worth the expense of a re-sub to press in the hopes they become 9.4-9.6, which will still not be worth the effort to sell given there are a MILLION (quite possibly, literally) of these out there... especially after you have it slabbed .... It is just "Xforce #1", no more relation to the card it was originally bagged with ... I learned a very humbling $500 lesson with this experience.

Also note, when I submitted 10+ with Cable cards, I received back a mix of all assorted XForce cards, only maybe 2 Cables came back (and of course no deadpools) ...There is no guarantee you get back polybags or COAs/Cards, etc with your subs. They do try though! 

They must get so many of these, they are hard to keep straight over the employees laughing all the way to the bank from us rookie mistake submitters.

Wanna hear a more recent horror story? I submitted 3 copies of Ultimate Fallout #4 (1st printing) - all of them polybagged. I was under the impression that polybagged would be getting higher grades because to me the polybag represented some form of protection. I just now see that they have been shipped and the grading is available online for me to see. My jaw dropped....

Ultimate Fallout 4 10/11 Marvel Comics    8.0 WHITE crease left top of back cover breaks color
Ultimate Fallout 4 10/11 Marvel Comics    6.5 WHITE polybag crease back cover, polybag crease front cover, wear full bottom of back cover, bends to cover
Ultimate Fallout 4 10/11 Marvel Comics    9.2 WHITE polybag crease back cover, polybag crease front cover

:(:(:( 

The poly bag is not the same as bagged and boarded. In many cases the poly bag is detrimental to the comic, especially the ones with very prominent seams. The seam acts like a saw blade slowly digging into the books cover. In some cases it can remove ink and paper. 

Always, always, always remove books from poly bags ASAP and send them to get properly pressed. 

On 9/29/2022 at 4:20 PM, circuitryusa said:

Absolutely have them pressed!!! Might as well remove the bag and keep your card too...

I won an auction for a dozen Cable Sealed polybags last winter from a large prolific & "reputable" Ebay seller, listed as "NM/M New in Bag"... EVERY SINGLE ONE of them received an 8.5 or less... they are now just paperweights in my closet that can't be sold. Here is a small sampling of those with some of my others...

image.png.dd04c9010e8e94790be24d0e087beef1.png

Not worth the expense of a re-sub to press in the hopes they become 9.4-9.6, which will still not be worth the effort to sell given there are a MILLION (quite possibly, literally) of these out there... especially after you have it slabbed .... It is just "Xforce #1", no more relation to the card it was originally bagged with ... I learned a very humbling $500 lesson with this experience.

Also note, when I submitted 10+ with Cable cards, I received back a mix of all assorted XForce cards, only maybe 2 Cables came back (and of course no deadpools) ...There is no guarantee you get back polybags or COAs/Cards, etc with your subs. They do try though! 

They must get so many of these, they are hard to keep straight over the employees laughing all the way to the bank from us rookie mistake submitters.

Add each one to another slab that youre selling as a bonus book...just up the price $15 - $20.

At least youll get some of the money back.

Edited by lostboys