• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book stolen by Fedex employe alert
2 2

37 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, MAR1979 said:

If a USPS employees steal even a single piece of mail regardless of monetary value it is US Federal Felony. The old saying is you will serve more time in prison for stealing 25 letter than killing 25 people rings true. The Office of Inspector General  at USPS enjoy hunting down bad apples. As for Fedex the worst that happen is job loss assuming they even bother to look into the situation to begin with.

When I saw the Fedex memo from CGC it solidified that my days of submitting were done. All my remaining subs were prior to the cut-over thus will go USPS.

If you want USPS shipping from CGC it's easy enough to get. Go rent a PO Box and use that as your return address. Then your submissions ship back to you via USPS Registered Mail and the price - so far in my experience - is less than it used to be. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:20 PM, Tnexus said:

It's easy to blame USPS, but that is 95% on the shipper for shipping a valuable comic like that. Based on the stamps, that's probably also media mail.

Agree 100% as that most definitely looks like pisss poor packaging by the sender with zero protection for the contents both outside and inside. :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/29/2022 at 9:55 PM, Hudson said:

1322248019_Action247torn.thumb.jpeg.747369f0e7ef607f9d8ad1ed38b71dc2.jpeg

I guess at least it wasn't stolen.

I do want to say that I feel bad for the OP and hope every boardie will keep their eyes open for this easily identifiable book.

Yours is pretty easily identifiable too.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:08 AM, Ltpink2002 said:

Interestingly, Collectibles Insurance Services (CIS) will not insure collectibles valued above $2,500 shipped via UPS.

Registered Mail

Get maximum security for your valuable items. Registered Mail® items can be insured for up to $50,000 at your Post Office location  

I don’t have further details but I think it’s worth looking into. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, Hudson said:

I am not sure what service to use anymore.  I used to believe USPS was great.  Then I received this in the mail and it made me sick to my stomach....

1322248019_Action247torn.thumb.jpeg.747369f0e7ef607f9d8ad1ed38b71dc2.jpeg

I guess at least it wasn't stolen.

I do want to say that I feel bad for the OP and hope every boardie will keep their eyes open for this easily identifiable book.

That is a heart breaking picture

On 9/30/2022 at 6:37 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Registered Mail

Get maximum security for your valuable items. Registered Mail® items can be insured for up to $50,000 at your Post Office location  

On 9/30/2022 at 6:39 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Definitely interesting. Do they specify any limits for other carriers? 

No, just states:  Signature required shipment Sublimit (registered mail, express mail, FedEx and other carriers except UPS)

On 9/30/2022 at 8:37 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Registered Mail

With a CIS policy, additional insurance is not necessary.  They will insure all your collectables when shipped without any additional fees. 

On 9/30/2022 at 7:14 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

With a CIS policy, additional insurance is not necessary.  They will insure all your collectables when shipped without any additional fees. 

Yes, this can be true based on the options you select when you set up your policy. I highly recommend reading the details of your policy. My policy spells out specific caveats for shipping a comic.

For insurance purposes, the comic is under your control until CGC receives it and ships it back. The insurance policy does not cover the comic while it is under CGC's possession.

When shipping books do you insure for the full FMV of the books? I may be paranoid, but the idea of insuring a package for thousands of dollars makes me feel like I've just put a big red target on my package for any less-than-honest employee to swipe or "lose". It also doesn't help that I may also add the name of an auction house in the address.

Just dropped some books off at UPS and got some extra insurance (not FMV), had the name of an auction house in the address, and was asked what was being shipped. Didn't like the feeling of walking away and thinking; "Did I just ask someone in the chain of delivery to steal that?"

On 9/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, Badger said:
On 9/29/2022 at 12:23 PM, VintageComics said:

Everything is dictated by Big Money. 

Even 'logic' and 'facts'. :smirk:

If you don't know what ESG is you should. It's everyone's new boss. 

I'm sure the new boss will be just like the old boss. Lots and lots of pushback on ESG.

ESG is a Sham (NYtimes Link)

I'm not one to fully trust the NYT as their editorial leanings have been proven to me to be fairly biased over time. 

Still, even if there is 'pushback' this template is the primary one currently being used as the main driver for all of the largest investment firms in the world. It's not even arguable. It's established fact. So when Fed Ex, or the owners of CGC, or whomever dictate a change that you may find strange, it's usually traced in some way back to this sort of ideology. 

So like it or not, this is what is dictating everything right now.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:16 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm not one to fully trust the NYT as their editorial leanings have been proven to me to be fairly biased over time. 

Still, even if there is 'pushback' this template is the primary one currently being used as the main driver for all of the largest investment firms in the world. It's not even arguable. It's established fact. So when Fed Ex, or the owners of CGC, or whomever dictate a change that you may find strange, it's usually traced in some way back to this sort of ideology. 

So like it or not, this is what is dictating everything right now.

Wall Street Journal says the same thing. As more and more market proof comes forward, more and more companies will quietly stop ESG.

esg does neither much good nor very well - WSJ

On 10/3/2022 at 10:08 PM, Badger said:

Wall Street Journal says the same thing. As more and more market proof comes forward, more and more companies will quietly stop ESG.

esg does neither much good nor very well - WSJ

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's a GOOD strategy. It's just the CURRENT strategy. 

Like every other strategy that is employed by big money, they're much more interested in transferring wealth than just making money from traditional revenue source like sales or service. 

So the current strategy is being employed and pushed hard, but something else will eventually gain favor. It always does. 

The term "go ____, go broke' is real and eventually the bottom falls out and the market spins into some other sort of scheme once this one loses steam. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/28/2022 at 9:32 AM, ak47po said:

Why FedEx?

CGC has found FedEx to be the fastest and most reliable service for return shipping, and using primarily one shipping service will greatly streamline the return shipping process, as well as provide CGC with a greater ability to negotiate better prices on behalf of its submitters. Collectors and dealers will benefit from getting submissions back more quickly, often at lower prices than before, with reliable insurance coverage.

The CGC Online Submission Form will be updated with the new return shipping options on July 5, 2022.

It has not happened to me but do you remember one CGC board member never received one page of Action Comics #1 that FedEx lost it.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:39 AM, Kevin76 said:

I always prefer UPS, Never trusted FedEx  

At least 4 UPS employees were arrested for thief and larceny per year from my hub alone.  I don't know how many UPS employees were arrested in worldwide per year.   I am sure FedEx employees commit the crimes.