• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE! HARDCOVER NOW AVAILABLE! Pre-Order Your Copy of ‘The Official CGC Guide to Grading.
10 10

230 posts in this topic

I was going to buy the HC, but I have since decided that I don't really care. With Overstreet, it's been the standard for decades. With CGC, their graders don't even seem to follow their generic online "Grading Scales" sometimes, so I don't see the need to invest $40 for a guide that (I assume) the company doesn't follow to a tee.

I'll probably change my mind again, just so that I can compare the two.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, lizards2 said:

Here is an example - I'm bidding on a book on eBay, and here are the grader's notes - unavailable. Why? You can see visible flaws, but are they not worth noting?

CGC Cert #
Title
Avengers
Issue
Issue Date
2/67
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
11/05/2015
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Roy Thomas story
Don Heck art
Gil Kane cover
Key Comments
Black Widow appearance.
Grader Notes
Unavailable

On the bright side...they're free now.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:12 AM, Sigur Ros said:
On 11/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, lizards2 said:

Here is an example - I'm bidding on a book on eBay, and here are the grader's notes - unavailable. Why? You can see visible flaws, but are they not worth noting?

CGC Cert #
Title
Avengers
Issue
Issue Date
2/67
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
11/05/2015
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Roy Thomas story
Don Heck art
Gil Kane cover
Key Comments
Black Widow appearance.
Grader Notes
Unavailable

On the bright side...they're free now.

There’s was a 9.4 Hulk 162 that I was interested in recently.  I always look up the notes on a book before buying.  

Book had no notes.  Which is ridiculous, because there’s what looks like water spots on the back cover.  Made me think that maybe the spots weren’t there when the book was graded & were added during encapsulation.  

How does CGC not make a note about this?

8D7F1371-1239-4598-B98B-5558E78C2FA6.jpeg.fa4a47a1cb5f074c480a1f006966de74.jpeg

On 12/1/2022 at 8:45 AM, Aman619 said:

Because you can clearly see them. Notes aren’t and never were a list of every defect.

You don’t think the notes should mention what those spots are?  At least if they mention them, I would know for certain that they were on the book when graded.  I don’t see how the book can be a 9.4 with them, so I’m still not sure if they were an added bonus from the QC department. 

It’s possible, but you can’t determine that from the notes if they’ve never been 100% complete containing every flaw.  If the book is a 9.8 otherwise these spots could drop it to 9.4   If these spots were hidden inside the book I think they’d have been in the notes. That one aspect CGC has often mentioned.

Edited by Aman619

On 12/1/2022 at 9:12 AM, Aman619 said:

It’s possible, but you can’t determine that from the notes if they’ve never been 100% complete containing every flaw.  If the book is a 9.8 otherwise these spots could drop it to 9.4   If these spots were hidden inside the book I think they’d have been in the notes. That one aspect CGC has often mentioned.

If you’re downgrading a 9.8 to 9.4 due to these spots, there’s absolutely no good reason not to mention it in the notes.  How about identifying what the spots are?  

On 12/1/2022 at 8:45 AM, Aman619 said:

Because you can clearly see them. Notes aren’t and never were a list of every defect.

How do they determine which visible defects to list, and which visible defects not to list?

On 12/1/2022 at 8:22 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s was a 9.4 Hulk 162 that I was interested in recently.  I always look up the notes on a book before buying.  

Book had no notes.  Which is ridiculous, because there’s what looks like water spots on the back cover.  Made me think that maybe the spots weren’t there when the book was graded & were added during encapsulation.  

How does CGC not make a note about this?

8D7F1371-1239-4598-B98B-5558E78C2FA6.jpeg.fa4a47a1cb5f074c480a1f006966de74.jpeg

Your first mistake was not deciding to purchase a CGC graded 9.8 copy of the issue. Your second mistake was reading my response to your post. :foryou:

On 12/1/2022 at 9:14 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you’re downgrading a 9.8 to 9.4 due to these spots, there’s absolutely no good reason not to mention it in the notes.  How about identifying what the spots are?  

I agree That's a significant flaw and should definitely be notated. 

I got my copy. I am very impressed, initially. I haven't really dug my teeth into it, but it's beyond Overstreet on Sterioids. Lots of great information. It's kind of written to bring a noob up to total speed, so a lot of the book will be old news for folks with experience, but it is a very nice guide. 

My only complaints are that some of the pictures seem a little dark, especially the section on page quality. I would have also liked to have seen at least 2 or 3 examples of each grade instead of one. 

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Hopefully I won't have to edit this post. I'll be able to peruse it during the holidays.