• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone explain this ComicConnect auction result Savage She-Hulk 1?

51 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2022 at 6:27 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I've never been interested in that book/series........but wasn't it a dollar bin turd not that many years ago?

Seems expensive.  I paid 25p for mine.  Really sharp, easy NM copy, but I can't claim it's 9.8 worthy.

All I have learned is what I know from math. Averages are poo. You want median OR you essentially want to remove the lowest sale recorded over the last x amount of months and the highest sale over that same time. Average the remainder and that is all that matters. Because if you want a book now, you are foolish to try and get the deal that one person got $400 below market value....just as you are foolish to think you should get $1900 above market value.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:00 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Ok, so this seems extremely fishy.  Savage She-Hulk 1 is a common book in 9.8, 2500+ copies in the grade.  Regularly sells for $600-700 on the bay. 

CC hammer hits at $2300???? I've seen Heritage do shenanigans, but CC??  WTH....

image.thumb.png.1f174cea71d27dbb62044a277f220a3e.png

Wait, plus 15% buyer premium to be added lol , so $2,652.94  :roflmao:

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

I'm guessing someone hoarded a bunch of 9.8s, then shilled this one up to increase the values of their stash. 

This happens all the time in the fine art world. One collector (or a ring of collectors) buy a bunch of pieces from one artist, then they auction one piece and shill it up. They they start selling the others at the artificially inflated price. 

:facepalm:

On 10/4/2022 at 3:21 PM, NoMan said:

Can someone explain to me the She-Hulk books with the Nude/pin up covers selling for so much. Or better yet someone just explain She-Hulk prices to me in general. 

thanks

I'd say it's the quality of the show that's elevated prices!  "It doesn't suck as much as I thought it would!"  At least, that's what he said!  (:

On 10/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, NoMan said:

Can someone explain to me the She-Hulk books with the Nude/pin up covers selling for so much. Or better yet someone just explain She-Hulk prices to me in general. 

thanks

The show is getting positive buzz and the character is expected to have a role in the next phase of MCU films. Plus, I think a new audience is discovering Byrne’s great cover art, and the novelty of having GGA in an otherwise staid ‘80s Marvel universe. 

But also: perverts. 

On 10/3/2022 at 11:04 PM, Tony S said:

The will be receiving about 500 CGC 9.8's from hopeful sellers in the next several weeks.... :D

Clearly you are thinking small potatoes here, as the winning bid was from the CCG ownership group itself.  :gossip:

Insignificant fractional expense to be attributed to advertising & promotions as CCS & CGC will now be receiving an additional 10,000+ copies of this book through their front door for pressing and grading services in the hopes of obtaining the next 9.8 graded copy of this relatively easy to find book. :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/6/2022 at 12:49 AM, lou_fine said:

Clearly you are thinking small potatoes here, as the winning bid was from the CCG ownership group itself.  :gossip:

Insignificant fractional expense to be attributed to advertising & promotions as CCS & CGC will now be receiving an additional 10,000+ copies of this book through their front door for pressing and grading services in the hopes of obtaining the next 9.8 graded copy of this relatively easy to find book. :devil:

That's a solid marketing tactic right there.

$2500 to "advertise" that a certain book tripled in value? If GPA is $700, that means the investment spread on the campaign is $1700. They would need to grade a measly 17 books simply on the Express fee (to which is realistic since people may want to get their 9.8s to market faster and can afford spending $100 because they'll make it up on margin) - let alone people just submitting it, who may not have bothered before because of the value spike. Writing it out this way makes me feel that they have to have been doing this in the past - it's actually a wise marketing move.