• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

October 2022 what copper Age covers are possibly fetching $1 million at auction?
2 2

62 posts in this topic

I agree with many of the covers listed (ASM 316, SW 1, Hulk 340 etc) could hit the million mark...

How about these as possibles? 

DAREDEVIL 200

BATMAN 400

BATMAN 423

BATMAN 619 gatefold by Jim Lee

XMEN 136 (similar to Crisis 7)

Technically not covers but...

Batman Knight over Gotham by Alex Ross

Original 7 painting by Alex Ross

On 10/6/2022 at 1:02 AM, comiconxion said:

So, should we expect to see any $1M cover sales any anytime soon?  Probably not.  Why?  Because pretty much all of these covers are locked up with collectors who love them and frankly don't need to sell.  Without revealing any "non-public" info., here's a run down on where all the covers on my list currently lie.  

- Killing Joke #NN - This is the biggest piece that is unknown and if it were to come to market, it could set new records.

- Dark Knight #1 - Recently purchased by Jim Halperin.

- Uncanny X-Men #137, Uncanny X-Men #141 - Rumored to still be owned by Terry Austin.  But he hasn't wanted to sell in years.

- Secret Wars #8, Turtles #1, Wolverine #1 (Limited Series), ASM #252, Captain America Annual #8, Iron Man #128 - Owned by Eric Roberts and have been loaned out for various art exhibits over the years.

- DD #181, Secret Wars #1 - Owned by Dave Mandel and have been loaned out for various art exhibits over the years. 

- Hulk #340, ASM #316 - Owned by Joe Le.

- Thor #337 - Still owned by Walt Simonson and will allegedly be donated with his collection.

- New Mutants #98 - Owned by Tom Fish.

- Punisher #1 (Limited Series) - Painted cover owned by me; B&W art owned by Dave Mandel.

- ASM #328 - Purchased for $657k many years ago - not sure if owner has been publicly revealed.  

- DD #168 - Since I'm not sure this has been publicly revealed, I can say it is owned by a notable collector for 20+ years with no intention of selling.

Given the owners, I'm not sure how many of these would come up for public auction any time soon.  If they were to be sold, I would expect them to change hands via private channels.

So, what does that mean?  Well, we'll likely see Copper covers at the next tier (e.g., other McFarlane and key X-Men covers) attempt to push for the $1M level, but it may take a few years.  And, as seen with the Secret Wars #8 page, you could see key interiors like the ASM #299 interior challenge the $1M level, but there aren't many of those either.  But, it's more likely that you'll see Bronze and Silver Age material hit the $1M mark more frequently.

Wow Terry Austin owns X-Men 137 and 141?!

That's great he still has them🙂

On 10/5/2022 at 5:50 PM, J.Sid said:

Legend has it he still has pretty much ALL of his X-Men pages.

I’ve heard the same thing. Someone on here crapped on that idea but I don’t remember any specifics as to why it was wrong. Terry sold a few pages but overall the story is he kept the strong majority of it.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, zhamlau said:

I’ve heard the same thing. Someone on here crapped on that idea but I don’t remember any specifics as to why it was wrong. Terry sold a few pages but overall the story is he kept the strong majority of it.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, zhamlau said:

I think I was the one who “crapped” on that idea.

But only because I know more than virtually anyone, and have proof.

Edited by artdealer

On 10/5/2022 at 8:46 PM, artdealer said:

I think I was the one who “crapped” on that idea.

But only because I know more than virtually anyone, and have proof.

I believe you, but I just want to say it always peeves me when people feel like they have to mention they have proof when they know they have no intention of providing the proof if asked. I feel like its just purposefully put there to bait people into asking and then getting shut down. If you know your word is good enough for people to believe you have proof without showing it, then your word should be good enough to back whatever you're saying without mentioning you have proof. Again, I believe you on this even without proof, its just something that annoys me whenever I see it. 

Unless.... :popcorn:

On 10/4/2022 at 11:18 PM, J.Sid said:

Let's be real: Nobody cares about DC

:baiting:

I’d amend this to “Nobody with piles of spare cash cares about DC.”

Makes me wonder if there is a correlation between you favorite comic universe and income/wealth/compulsion to collect. 

On 10/6/2022 at 7:54 AM, alxjhnsn said:

Makes me wonder if there is a correlation between you favorite comic universe and income/wealth/compulsion to collect. 

Hmmm. I was just joking (trolling?), but this is an interesting question you pose.

On 10/6/2022 at 10:54 AM, alxjhnsn said:

I’d be happy to buy Marvel art as soon as they start publishing the PhantomStranger.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, comiconxion said:

When you think Crisis #7, you have to also think Uncanny X-Men #136... You can debate it, but I'd probably value the #136 more, and I don't see that one cracking $1M either.  Ultimately, Crisis #7 and the Death of Robin issues are some of the other more memorable DC 80's covers, but you can see with the Death of Robin issues selling recently, they haven't made it into that $1M range.  Ultimately Marvel is king, especially when it comes to original art prices.  Superman #75 could potentially get to that level, but again, that's Modern!  And, I debated Sandman #8 and Swamp Thing #34.  Although classics... just not sure they get to the $1M level (and I believe that Swamp Thing #34 was stolen years ago).  

Sandman 5 just went for $90k.... not sure what the ceiling would be, but 1 or 8 would go for multiples of that IMO

Edited by Legion of Goom

On 10/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, g-man said:

I agree with many of the covers listed (ASM 316, SW 1, Hulk 340 etc) could hit the million mark...

How about these as possibles? 

DAREDEVIL 200

Wasn't this one recently available privately for a 5-figure amount? In any case, it was closer to $100K than $1 million.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, g-man said:

BATMAN 400

Well, we know this one recently changed hands, since Tom Fish posted it on CAF a few months ago. It sold for a big price, but, not anywhere near $1 million. 

Batman #423...no way IMO. Batman #619 recently sold at auction for $504K - big price, but, nowhere near a million.

The $1 million mark remains a significant hurdle when it comes to Copper Age comic art. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 10/5/2022 at 6:16 PM, zhamlau said:

He did keep the vast majority. There was a time several years ago that he brought them to John Byrne's house so JB could sign them, I remember pictures being posted on Byrne's forum of the visit. I thought it was in preperation to sell them but I guess that wasn't the case. I was told by someone who knows him personally that he was saving them for his "retirement". but he's 70 and the market is pretty hot. He must be well off if he couldn't use a 7 figure payoff.