• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Members Choice: Most Single Undervalued GA Comic book your opinion and mine!
7 7

226 posts in this topic

Sorry no cover to 4 but here are coverless copies of the other three issues.

One or more of these has an interesting text story about a lion cub named Simba

On 8/11/2024 at 7:46 PM, Readcomix said:

Here’s my coverless #4. If anyone has the cover, feel free to contact me. Fortunately, I find the sound of crickets soothing. 

IMG_2656.jpeg

On 8/8/2024 at 9:37 PM, Black Captain said:

Two truly rare and CRIMINALLY undervalued books are Best Comics #1 and Best Comics #2. Nedor/Better Publications 1939. Only 4 issues ever published. First Black superhero. Golden age book. Only appears black on the 1st cover, the rest he is white. From what I can tell, only 5 complete sets of 4 books can ever be created, due to only 5 known copies existing of #3. Lastly, the only reason I don't mention #3 along with number 1 and 2 is because a cgc'd #3 has never  come to market in the mainstream. These books must take the cake

Each issue in that title is rare enough that if you add up the estimated copies of all four issues you get a number that still qualifies as "scarce"   

Best Comics 3 C coverless.JPG

Best Comics 2 C pg 1.JPG

Best Comics 1 nbc pg 1.JPG

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

I never saw the inside, thank you. The character MUST be in the public domain by now. If more people discover this character, I wonder if a comic, TV show, or movie could be done. LOL, Wishful thinking.

Edited by Black Captain

On 8/12/2024 at 3:06 PM, Black Captain said:

I never saw the inside, thank you. The character MUST be in the public domain by now. If more people discover this character, I wonder if a comic, TV show, or movie could be done. LOL, Wishful thinking.

I think that the fact that the character is in the public domain would make a major motion picture or television show less likely because anyone could make and sell toys, T-shirts, etc. because those sorts of premiums provide an important revenue stream these days, but who knows for sure. It might be attractive to an independent filmmaker on a shoestring budget.

On 8/14/2024 at 9:39 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I think that the fact that the character is in the public domain would make a major motion picture or television show less likely because anyone could make and sell toys, T-shirts, etc. because those sorts of premiums provide an important revenue stream these days, but who knows for sure. It might be attractive to an independent filmmaker on a shoestring budget.

It works both ways.  You can create new elements for the character which can then be copyrighted, but the basic concept and character name will remain available to anyone.  You have to accept that multiple versions of the character can exist and hope there's an audience for yours.  Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan are good examples of multiple successive incarnations, and of course we've seen many fairy tales revisited  But so far there seem to be few people willing to put money into a new Popeye, perhaps because the PD "look" and other elements are so specific and essential.  Red Mask is basically a black guy wearing a... red mask.  I suspect if it were done well that some PR about him being the first of a kind in comics could help.  Hard to say how much, but enough I would think to help with a low-budget high-quality film.  

I'd be almost more interested in hearing the story about the publication of the original issues. It's 1939 and they decide to try their hand at the superhero boom with a black hero, showing him on the cover smacking the sh#te out of a white man and inside the story has him beating that man for the affections of a white woman.  Seems like they were deliberately trying to be daring, but then something happened and they revised the covers to change the hero from a black man to a white man (even as they left him black inside).    

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

Ace Comics #11 and #12.  Features the first (brown costume) and second appearance (purple costume) of The Phantom in comic books. The Phantom is a very early superhero that predates Superman and Batman and the first to wear the skintight costume that has become a hallmark of comic-book superheroes, and the first to wear a mask with no visible pupils. Any copies are hard to come and there is a surprisingly strong international popularity of The Phantom.

ace2.441a.jpg

lf.jpeg

On 9/21/2024 at 2:42 AM, roccojoco said:

Ace Comics #11 and #12.  Features the first (brown costume) and second appearance (purple costume) of The Phantom in comic books. The Phantom is a very early superhero that predates Superman and Batman and the first to wear the skintight costume that has become a hallmark of comic-book superheroes, and the first to wear a mask with no visible pupils. Any copies are hard to come and there is a surprisingly strong international popularity of The Phantom.

ace2.441a.jpg

lf.jpeg

Wow, never tought his first appearance was in this book!