• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Members Choice: Most Single Undervalued GA Comic book your opinion and mine!
7 7

215 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2022 at 12:44 PM, Mmehdy said:

Wow never knew about that, but the dual appearance of both a house AD and a new color created page with Both characters clearly is heads above any single panel or advertising in establishing a true first appearance....this is head and above the usual reference and to my mind clearly establishes what Cap first published appearance is......This book is THE best underpriced  buy out there in the GA by a mile...especially given the recent record prices for Cap 1.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2sF_4j1ZoP4gNkFoTXzO

On 11/5/2022 at 10:05 AM, ChillMan said:

The reason Superman sometimes wears black & white is because DC considers More Fun #31 his first appearance.  They argued this...with More Fun #31 submitted into evidence...in their court case vs the Jerry Siegel family.

Submitted into evidence specifically for what purpose? 

On 11/9/2022 at 12:53 PM, pmpknface said:

Just my $.02 and a thought...   I think it was brought up earlier but MOTION PICTURE WEEKLY FUNNIES #1 has to be up there in this category.  I don't know how many copies are actually out there and then rarely come up for sale which may keep it off of some radars but it's an important book, even if the cover isn't a super-hero one.  I only see 8 on the census and 3 are restored.  Heritage hasn't sold one since 2009 and that went for $43k (9.0 pay copy / highest), so if one comes up again it should be interesting - especially if it's THAT copy.  

1676908%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

On 11/10/2022 at 2:27 PM, Mmehdy said:

Very true the rarest books have scarce info on GPA or current market prices. In some ways that actually holds back value as depending upon the economy and the market at the time, measuring value based upon the last sale is very unreliable. 13 years between sales at Ha like the above is a real unknown. There probably is some super rare GA book out there one of kind(any pics on these) that can never fully obtain true value because of that very fact. MPF #1 today would bring around 100K in my opinion...yours?

I guess that would apply to Fantastic Comics #3? I think past sales would be not much help on this wonderful magnificent book. Especially the 9.4. Church (next highest grade is a sole 6.0). Only sale I found was for 243,000 in 2017. If that was to be available today I don't know how one would gauge the amount they should offer. Only reference really is that a 5.5 sold for 44.5k in 2017 and a 1.8 for 40.8 in 2021. 

fan2.166a.jpg

Opera Snapshot_2022-11-13_155801_www.cgccomics.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2022-11-13_160442_gocollect.com.png

On 11/12/2022 at 11:00 AM, ChillMan said:

I'd put it at about $2M at the moment.

I think the fact that the book was a “giveaway “  with no price on the cover will hold it back from ever hitting one million let alone 2M. Historically I think the book is important… but it’s not Super/Bat/Cap league. There always is a possibility that two timely whale collectors could go toe to toe but would be a contest and not true actual market value upon evaluating possible resale with real collectors with real budgets would be able to bid.

Is it undervalued… it certainly has been public sales wise under the radar which is sometimes a recipe for undervaluation but not 80x times prior sale. It would be interesting to set up a vote to see what would be the top 5… if any board member can do that help me out…

Undervalued?  
Haha, hoho, ahahaha!  
When you can’t even buy very many higher grade mainline GA run books for less than four figures, most GA true keys in say 3.0 and higher are well beyond the reach for the overwhelming majority of actual collectors, people are now paying thousands of dollars for a slabbed page, and we think things are under-valued ... sounds a lot like Stockholm Syndrome to me.   :foryou:

On 11/12/2022 at 2:06 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Would you pay $2 million for it?

Hulk 181 9.8...2nd appearance of Wolverine, 2nd highest graded tied with 148 others...just sold for $146K.

The MPFW Pay Copy should be worth $20M by that logic.

On 11/15/2022 at 7:04 AM, ChillMan said:

Hulk 181 9.8...2nd appearance of Wolverine, 2nd highest graded tied with 148 others...just sold for $146K.

There is no logic there at all.  Scarcity and rarity don't equal value.  $20M? MPFW will never be worth more than an Action 1.  You seem to enjoy huffing and puffing.

Subby (like Aquaman) is a bit player compared to Wolverine's present popularity.  Its all about supply and demand. Demand is very high for Wolverine in extremely high grades.  CGC has made the spread between the highest copy and those below much much wider for comics which are not at all scarce or rare.. 

Having said that, I think the top MPFW would bring a strong price well above $100K. 

On 11/15/2022 at 1:36 PM, sfcityduck said:

Artificial scarcity.  MANY copies of that book are being hoarded by a prominent collector. If all those copies came to market, that book would not trade for as much as it is. And that's an increasing risk for the buyer since you never know what the hoarder is going to let loose the dogs.

Hey SF, funny you mention that because just yesterday I found 10 year old Lou Fine thread that's now closed. A few peoples posted raw copies Fantastic 3 that looked really nice.

Curious - there have been myriad threads and so many YouTube personalities that focus almost exclusively on how this (already expensive) book or that is undervalued.  In one sense, this fundamentally goes to another question:  is the consensus mindset today that we want very many of these books (even those that are still relatively affordable) to be unattainable to the overwhelming majority of us, the collectors? 

Sort of counter to the sentiment seen here when folks like SFCityDuck (sorry if I got the handle wrong) create these wonderful threads about the First Collector or similar, where it was about the hunt and being able to actually build a great collection to enjoy and share with fellow hobby friends. 

Edited by LearnedHand

On 11/15/2022 at 11:30 PM, Professor K said:

Hey SF, funny you mention that because just yesterday I found 10 year old Lou Fine thread that's now closed. A few peoples posted raw copies Fantastic 3 that looked really nice.

Odd. The LB Cole thread started in 2004 and is still going strong. The Lou Fine thread started in 2012 and ended the same year. Not sure if it means there’s less Lou Fine covers than LB Cole, or if the LB Cole fans (I include myself) are simply more demented 

On 11/16/2022 at 4:25 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Odd. The LB Cole thread started in 2004 and is still going strong. The Lou Fine thread started in 2012 and ended the same year. Not sure if it means there’s less Lou Fine covers than LB Cole, or if the LB Cole fans (I include myself) are simply more demented 

How about: Both!

On 11/16/2022 at 3:38 AM, LearnedHand said:

Curious - there have been myriad threads and so many YouTube personalities that focus almost exclusively on how this (already expensive) book or that is undervalued.  In one sense, this fundamentally goes to another question:  is the consensus mindset today that we want very many of these books (even those that are still relatively affordable) to be unattainable to the overwhelming majority of us, the collectors? 

Sort of counter to the sentiment seen here when folks like SFCityDuck (sorry if I got the handle wrong) create these wonderful threads about the First Collector or similar, where it was about the hunt and being able to actually build a great collection to enjoy and share with fellow hobby friends. 

When I was a young collector I rooted for comic prices to increase, despite that it meant books I did not own would become unaffordable, because I saw that as a vindication that the activity was legit. Price increases became a source of pride. And, I think the fact that attitude was widespread drove up prices. We see it in the celebrations of world record prices today.

Now I see bubblled prices as a source of concern that the market has some bad bubbles. Ironically, I am ok seeing some of those bubbles popping (certain hot 70s books, ducks etc.) even though I own the books because I now view that as vindication the market is not entirely founded on delusion or illegal/unethical motivations like some other markets (crypto coins and NFTs, etc,)

I guess I have just matured.  

Edited by sfcityduck

On 11/16/2022 at 7:25 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I thought that too. I don't know why they closed it. Time to start another? Sure Mr. Cole seems to have more covers than Mr. Fine but ain't nothing wrong with seeing more of them. Maybe some here even have some Fine art to show off.  Lots of good ones available on HA right now too.

Edited by Professor K
spelling correctoin

On 11/15/2022 at 7:04 AM, ChillMan said:

So a book that has 148 9.8 copies just sold for $146K? What are people on dope? One of the most common of “keys”. I recently reread the copy I carefully picked off the newstand for the second time. Frankly, VERY poor art and  story. I know it is Wolverine and a “grail” to many but there are SO many better books to buy if I were foolish enough to spend my money on. I really should slab and sell it…