• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Members Choice: Most Single Undervalued GA Comic book your opinion and mine!
7 7

215 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2022 at 12:51 AM, Mmehdy said:

The difference is while it’s the first appearance thru a house ad… And a house ad appears in the HT 3…both being black and white , a original full color Cap page with Bucky appears on page 44. That in my opinion is a game changer. 

Yeah color and with Bucky is nice.  But the bottom line is...does a character appear or not?  Can you see him or not?

Spoiler

On 10/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, Ameri said:

ok I surrender, back to the subject at hand. I think All Star 4 is woefully under-valued. The 3 is the first meeting where they get together to trade tales of valor but the 4 is the first time they actually performed as a team in a multi-chaptered adventure which became the standard format till the end of the run. It's also a great cover with the Capitol and American flag in the background.  A 4.0 recently sold for a paltry $3200.

ALL STAR 4 CGC.JPG

I absolutely agree with this one and have been trying to upgrade for awhile now. It also doesn’t show up that often either even with there being 86 blue labels which i know in the grand scheme of things is very little but compared to the books i normally chase with 15 at most it seems like a lot and it hardly ever shows up so the folks that have them are hanging on. I guess a bigger sale could rattle a few loose. I’m crossing my fingers i upgrade before that happens 🙏🤞

On 11/5/2022 at 7:05 AM, ChillMan said:

The reason Superman sometimes wears black & white is because DC considers More Fun #31 his first appearance.  They argued this...with More Fun #31 submitted into evidence...in their court case vs the Jerry Siegel family.

Wow never knew about that, but the dual appearance of both a house AD and a new color created page with Both characters clearly is heads above any single panel or advertising in establishing a true first appearance....this is head and above the usual reference and to my mind clearly establishes what Cap first published appearance is......This book is THE best underpriced  buy out there in the GA by a mile...especially given the recent record prices for Cap 1.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 11/5/2022 at 12:51 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well this interesting on a lot of levels. The cgc label reflects a March 1941 publication date, but Cap 1 seems to have actually appeared on the stands December 1940.

It is official. According to The Catalog of Copyright Entries For Periodicals (1940), Captain America Comics #1 was released by Timely Comics on December 20, 1940 with a March, 1941 cover date.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:43 PM, bounty_coder said:

This is a good one, and one that very few know of (outside of our elite comic knowledge circles). 

The one difficulty with this book is that it was a comic strip; inserted into the pages of a Published Magazine.  The fact that CGC doesn't grade them also makes it difficult to have a good "index" on whether it is valued appropriately or not.  But, I definitely do agree it is probably "undervalued" due to being "under-known".  Though I think the format does turn a majority of comic collectors off especially since it cannot be "slabbed".

With that said, I do have a piggy-back entry to yours @sfcityduck :foryou:

The Adventures of Mickey Mouse Book 1 (David McKay, 1931) First Disney book by strict definition with a first printing of 50,000 copies.

• Illustrated text refers to Clarabelle Cow as "Carolyn" and Horace Horsecollar as "Henry".
  • The name "Donald Duck" appears with a non-costumed generic duck on back cover and inside, not in the context of the character that later debuted in The Wise Little Hen.
  • Check out this writeup by the D23 (Official Disney Fan Club) site: https://d23.com/donald-duck-early-appearance/

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, Adventures of Mickey Mouse Book 1 (David McKay Publications, 1931) Condition: VF-....

11 Copies Graded.  Top VF/NM 9.0 :whatthe:

image.png.2eb230c3916172935bf0438869d85a6e.png

CGC grades magazines. Why wouldn't they grade Good Housekeeping? Sure, Donald's not on the cover, but many 1st appearances aren't.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:51 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well this interesting on a lot of levels. The cgc label reflects a March 1941 publication date, but Cap 1 seems to have actually appeared on the stands December 1940.

Books were generally on the stands 2-3 months before their publication date. 

On 11/5/2022 at 3:11 PM, Qalyar said:

CGC grades magazines. Why wouldn't they grade Good Housekeeping? Sure, Donald's not on the cover, but many 1st appearances aren't.

@Qalyar the Good Houskeeping magazines are large and thick. While they do fit the standard height and width dimensions with some of the books over 250 pages they are often at or above the 1/2 inch thickness limit that CGC states for magazines. Further not one older format Good Housekeeping has been recorded on the census. With the quantity of Early Disney stories inside they would be shoe ins for submittal. 

But all of that is conjecture. I’ve never attempted to submit one. (thumbsu

- bounty

On 11/8/2022 at 6:25 PM, bounty_coder said:

@Qalyar the Good Houskeeping magazines are large and thick. While they do fit the standard height and width dimensions with some of the books over 250 pages they are often at or above the 1/2 inch thickness limit that CGC states for magazines. Further not one older format Good Housekeeping has been recorded on the census. With the quantity of Early Disney stories inside they would be shoe ins for submittal. 

But all of that is conjecture. I’ve never attempted to submit one. (thumbsu

- bounty

Ah, that explains it. Wasn't aware these were 250 page monsters.

On 11/5/2022 at 1:51 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

What you are referring to as "publication date" is actually the "pull date".  The newsstand gets their money back on returns, so it's most important to know when they can pull the unsold copies and send them back to the distributor for the refund.

So many great cases made here! I’ll throw out one not yet raised in the thread: Pep #26.

1st Veronica, the only one of the big four Archie characters not to be introduced in Pep #22. And while most of the early Archie books don’t come up much, this one may be the least common. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:24 PM, adamstrange said:

What you are referring to as "publication date" is actually the "pull date".  The newsstand gets their money back on returns, so it's most important to know when they can pull the unsold copies and send them back to the distributor for the refund.

Which date, if you know, is printed inside the cover? Doesn’t make sense to me that it would be the “pull” date. OTOH I’ve always assumed CGC gets the date info they put on their label from inside the book cover

On 11/9/2022 at 6:57 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Which date, if you know, is printed inside the cover? Doesn’t make sense to me that it would be the “pull” date. OTOH I’ve always assumed CGC gets the date info they put on their label from inside the book cover

With rare exception, the date in the indicia will be the same as on the cover. 

Just my $.02 and a thought...   I think it was brought up earlier but MOTION PICTURE WEEKLY FUNNIES #1 has to be up there in this category.  I don't know how many copies are actually out there and then rarely come up for sale which may keep it off of some radars but it's an important book, even if the cover isn't a super-hero one.  I only see 8 on the census and 3 are restored.  Heritage hasn't sold one since 2009 and that went for $43k (9.0 pay copy / highest), so if one comes up again it should be interesting - especially if it's THAT copy.  

1676908%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

On 11/9/2022 at 9:53 AM, pmpknface said:

Just my $.02 and a thought...   I think it was brought up earlier but MOTION PICTURE WEEKLY FUNNIES #1 has to be up there in this category.  I don't know how many copies are actually out there and then rarely come up for sale which may keep it off of some radars but it's an important book, even if the cover isn't a super-hero one.  I only see 8 on the census and 3 are restored.  Heritage hasn't sold one since 2009 and that went for $43k (9.0 pay copy / highest), so if one comes up again it should be interesting - especially if it's THAT copy.  

1676908%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

Very true the rarest books have scarce info on GPA or current market prices. In some ways that actually holds back value as depending upon the economy and the market at the time, measuring value based upon the last sale is very unreliable. 13 years between sales at Ha like the above is a real unknown. There probably is some super rare GA book out there one of kind(any pics on these) that can never fully obtain true value because of that very fact. MPF #1 today would bring around 100K in my opinion...yours?

On 11/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, Mmehdy said:

Very true the rarest books have scarce info on GPA or current market prices. In some ways that actually holds back value as depending upon the economy and the market at the time, measuring value based upon the last sale is very unreliable. 13 years between sales at Ha like the above is a real unknown. There probably is some super rare GA book out there one of kind(any pics on these) that can never fully obtain true value because of that very fact. MPF #1 today would bring around 100K in my opinion...yours?

I could see if for the pay copy, but not for any other.  Are there really that many Subby collectors out there?  Maybe if Subby were on the cover, I'd feel more strongly.  

But I am posting now in support of your underlying statement.  Ignoring for a moment the current down market, books like Silver Surfer 4 or FF 48 or AF 15 are much easier to place a value on since they are constantly trading hands.  Super rare books are so much harder to assess value on

On 11/10/2022 at 2:27 PM, Mmehdy said:

Yea, I agree - $100k+, likely even higher.  I think whoever owns this is sitting on a goldmine.