• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta’s Best Cover?
1 1

81 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2022 at 9:46 PM, fifties said:

Well if we are going to include Cowboys, Indians, and The Congo I won't be shy to offer my (dilapidated - hey, I bought what I could afford, as readers) copy of Beware #10. 

Beware 10.jpg

That’s super cool. Feel like I don’t see much horror art by him. Usually fantasy or sci-fi. I sold my Beware #11 recently, but no Frazetta art with that one.

There's someone selling an original pen/ink drawing from Frazetta on Ebay. Do you guys think it's legit? He doesn't provide any provenance. Also I found a bunch of similar style pieces of art from Frazetta sold on Heritage, and all the hair is usually colored in. Here it isn't, so wasn't sure if that makes it a little shady. And the little #21 on the bottom right. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to denote like what numbered drawing it was. If it was that though, don't they usually write, 21/250 to describe he did 250 of this version?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125438701037?hash=item1d34baaded:g:KDkAAOSwrKli5Ccs&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoFdHpp7NLo1cXBg%2B6ED851cBv5KHIlzSBnGrVBoO3Hy1r2kMEoG9uNVfcnpFUmbudEkL03FkpFVwWFzrFTwpYS7OOyeG2RGlW3TSVZUNm3OneEzLxevJ1L5CTK9hfe2INLsgav6fkIt2teqlpGWFoW6f2yD%2ByBO1KgupCuDCaP6f2BWtl10a%2FHEm%2Fp1WmE7X%2FMUpLBKKaGlw%2BSBK51q0G8Y%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_yblaz4YA

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:40 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Well, since we're all over the map on what constitutes a comic cover, here's the best cover I think Frazetta did specifically for EC material (mid-60's Ballantine paperback)...

8c1d4f8c-97ae-4498-a888-5b7cbf6d0f5e_zpsseq4aebz.jpg.bb4a7b309400e3d2b06a48a98986fc24.jpg

After seeing this SF cover, even if you'd never seen an EC comic, you would buy it ...then immediately start hunting for the old back issues!  :drool:

:cheers:

A couple more of his "EC paperback" covers.

Autumn People.jpg

Tomorrow Midnight.jpg

On 10/10/2022 at 12:41 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

There's someone selling an original pen/ink drawing from Frazetta on Ebay. Do you guys think it's legit? He doesn't provide any provenance. Also I found a bunch of similar style pieces of art from Frazetta sold on Heritage, and all the hair is usually colored in. Here it isn't, so wasn't sure if that makes it a little shady. And the little #21 on the bottom right. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to denote like what numbered drawing it was. If it was that though, don't they usually write, 21/250 to describe he did 250 of this version?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125438701037?hash=item1d34baaded:g:KDkAAOSwrKli5Ccs&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoFdHpp7NLo1cXBg%2B6ED851cBv5KHIlzSBnGrVBoO3Hy1r2kMEoG9uNVfcnpFUmbudEkL03FkpFVwWFzrFTwpYS7OOyeG2RGlW3TSVZUNm3OneEzLxevJ1L5CTK9hfe2INLsgav6fkIt2teqlpGWFoW6f2yD%2ByBO1KgupCuDCaP6f2BWtl10a%2FHEm%2Fp1WmE7X%2FMUpLBKKaGlw%2BSBK51q0G8Y%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_yblaz4YA

s-l1600.jpg

(shrug). Provenance is everything.  

Looks great but who knows....

On 10/10/2022 at 10:28 AM, WolverineX said:

(shrug). Provenance is everything.  

Looks great but who knows....

Yeah I agree, would be tough without more details on the original purchase of it. Definitely looks cool though!

On 10/10/2022 at 12:41 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

s-l1600.jpg

It's probably legit. The seller says he bought it from the Frazetta family, but he doesn't give any time frame as to when. He should have gotten some kind of signed documentation when he bought it. Problem is as I know you know is you're not sure and neither would anyone else be pretty much. 

Best stick with HA for this stuff as the sale can be traced. From what I see you can get similar sketches on HA for about the same as this piece. I wouldn't mind having one.

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

That sketch appears legimate to me. But no legitimate paperwork is a problem. I remember them selling off a few sketches at the museum as well. But just saying that is something anyone could say. Buying that, at that price, from a total stranger on eBay with a “no returns” policy is real chancy. Cool piece if authentic. 

On 10/9/2022 at 1:48 PM, Professor K said:

His GA stuff is cool but to me I don't think they really demonstrate his full talent. The Warren mags from the mid 60's are sweet. Some of the best sold examples from recent years. Things are cheap and almost all have less than 100 in the census. 

Opera Snapshot_2022-10-09_144002_comics.ha.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2022-10-09_144119_comics.ha.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2022-10-09_144307_comics.ha.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2022-10-09_144553_comics.ha.com.png

None of those are close to the current prices these magazines are fetching or would fetch if they came up for sale. 

On 10/10/2022 at 11:13 AM, Professor K said:

It's probably legit. The seller says he bought it from the Frazetta family, but he doesn't give any time frame as to when. He should have gotten some kind of signed documentation when he bought it. Problem is as I know you know is you're not sure and neither would anyone else be pretty much. 

Best stick with HA for this stuff as the sale can be traced. From what I see you can get similar sketches on HA for about the same as this piece. I wouldn't mind having one.

Yeah I agree, at legit auction seems to be the safest path for that. I was honestly kinda interested in it, which is why I wanted some opinions lol.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:14 PM, OtherEric said:

A couple more of his "EC paperback" covers.

Autumn People.jpg

Tomorrow Midnight.jpg

Oddly enough, neither of those covers grabbed me at all back then, but I was immediately drawn to the Tales of the Incredible cover and the choice stories therein. Frazetta knocked that SF cover outta the park.  This ...like the early Mad Readers... probably helped keep the EC legend alive by opening up a new market for those older stories. These B&W pb reprints may have been many collectors first exposure to EC comics fandom.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 10/9/2022 at 7:49 AM, Inaflash said:

These are my two favorite Frazetta covers.

CFEA7C0D-EE60-4CDF-A988-D797CFFBAE6F.jpeg

A really beautiful FF 214, because of its colors, just blows the WSF 29 away (it was supposed to have been a FF cover, right?). To nitpick the WSF 29, I always wondered why the hero's arms were out of proportion and he has a lot more hair on his forearms than the Neanderthals.  Once seen its hard to un-see.