• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal institutes $2500 fine for anyone who promotes "misinformation" and then pulls the rule after massive public backlash.
8 8

401 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2022 at 9:10 PM, otherworldsj331 said:

Maybe Trumps EO about section 230 was symbolic, yet it may come into play in the future in the courts.

Leaving the politics out of it, the outcome of removal of section 230 means every social website becomes UBER censorship.   Because now they're legally liable for everything you post.  CGC kills the boards within an hour of the decision.  Twitter shuts down.  Facebook PROBABLY can institute some level of review/AI checking to review posts with a delay of some sort before posting.  Only the most absolute Milquetoast postings will be allowed. 

On 10/11/2022 at 5:20 PM, kav said:

If congress deemed internet sites were a public square this could change though.  For now you are correct.

Facebook and Twitter could be deemed a public square..I have a really hard time seeing how a payment service like paypal would be deemed a public square

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 10/11/2022 at 9:15 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have removed a few posts that are too political.  Lets move away from political postings.  

Mine wasn't political at all.

(shrug)

On 10/11/2022 at 6:31 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

This forum may be different, but I strongly suspect FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.; the supreme court or a circuit court would rule against the big tech social media entities if they claimed they had the right to censure free speech. In fact, I expect class action lawsuits against the big tech social media companies when it is indisputably proven that they have censured and suspended people for information they deemed false that clearly is not, (although even that is not a viable justification) and will be/or has been, proven so in the courts. This will one day, and maybe soon, come to the supreme court, a high-level federal court, and /or congress

There are already several, new, large (Federal) law suits in the US in motion regarding "free speech" and Big Tech, and they seem to be moving to trial, meaning they have not been thrown out but seem to have legs. 

If anyone wants details they can PM me as I'm one strike away from being banned permanently from these boards and while others seem to be able to talk about anything they want I want to keep it vanilla....but free #onlyfans pics are available via DM! :D

On 10/11/2022 at 9:02 PM, otherworldsj331 said:

Furthermore, as I previously said, but some of you are ignoring, the social media companies it can be strongly argued in a court of law, are DeFacto public squares and as such can possibly be liable to the first amendment. 

Is this clear enough for you all supporters of censorship? 

So before you make comments that are clearly questionable, realize this issue is not decided and probably ultimately will be in the courts or (in a pro Constitutional) congress

Correct. 

On 10/11/2022 at 9:19 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Leaving the politics out of it, the outcome of removal of section 230 means every social website becomes UBER censorship.   Because now they're legally liable for everything you post.  CGC kills the boards within an hour of the decision.  Twitter shuts down.  Facebook PROBABLY can institute some level of review/AI checking to review posts with a delay of some sort before posting.  Only the most absolute Milquetoast postings will be allowed. 

But it would also prevent those sites from raping people's cookies (physically and digitally), monetizing our private lives and keep them from spreading their OWN misinformation. 

There is always a ying and a yang to every decision. 

• Administrator
On 10/11/2022 at 9:22 PM, Axelrod said:

Mine wasn't political at all.

(shrug)

On 10/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, Buzzetta said:

Mine wasn't political :( 

It just revealed to all of us that @ttfitz was either picking his nose or scratching... well... yeah... 

I removed posts for both posting and politics.  If you quoted them, your posts were removed, too.  

On 10/11/2022 at 9:39 PM, VintageComics said:

For what it's worth this pic doesn't do Buzzetta justice. 

But he does look like he's pinching one off...

Bostonbeaman is perhaps the funniest thing to currently follow on IG... that and LongIslandWiseGuy who posts all the pics of truck drivers who do not pay attention to the overpass height restrictions, dolphins and whales doing dolphin and whale things, and everyone else doing head shaking Long Island things... 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Chcf-6SjAZU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

If you drop an ice cube don't pick it up.  Kick it under the fridge.  Be a man. lol 

But this? 

https://www.instagram.com/longislandwiseguy/?hl=en

Long Island Wise Guy makes me laugh every day. 

On 10/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, VintageComics said:

The "fine" was for any Paypal user who used Paypal as a payment system and was deemed to be involved in "spreading misinformation".

This was to be determined at Paypal's SOLE DISCRETION.

So, completely ARBITRARY. 

The question is who in the WORLD is going to use Paypal now after they've shown to be this selfish and corrupt. :tonofbricks:

Yep. They are dead to me. 

I am currently in a resolution step with my own bank to stop payment to PayPal because there were a flood of rapid fraudulent charges for Microsoft X-Box games made totaling over $400, and I got on the phone with Microsoft & X-Box support (yes an actual human being!) who confirmed that I never ordered anything through my Microsoft account and they have no record of any purchases by me through my Paypal account. So Paypal ignored that and said it was "not an unauthorized" purchase - even though Microsoft confirmed my account has NO purchases whatsoever going through that Paypal account. 

So now my bank put a stop-payment to Paypal and should (hopefully) resolve it properly. 

After that, Paypal will be GONE from my premises. 

:censored:

Edited by jcjames

Pardon my capital letters, but many of you are so uneducated about this or misinformed I need to stress this point.

ONCE A THIRD-PARTY PROVIDER CENSURES (sic) PEOPLE THEY CEASE TO BECOME MERELY PROVIDERS AND BECOME PUBLISHING EDITORS. 

Yeah, no. If you had read a little further in that Wikipedia article you quoted, you would have seen this:

"Section 230(c)(2) further provides "Good Samaritan" protection from civil liability for operators of interactive computer services in the good faith removal or moderation of third-party material they deem 'obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protected.'"

Think about that for a second and let it sink in, and stop with your third grade parroting of something you heard once or twice, never researched, and are simply regurgitating.

Some good advice here, though.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:50 PM, jcjames said:

Yep. They are dead to me. 

I am currently in a resolution step with my own bank to stop payment to PayPal because there were a flood of rapid fraudulent charges for Microsoft X-Box games made totaling over $400, and I got on the phone with Microsoft & X-Box support (yes an actual human being!) who confirmed that I never ordered anything through my Microsoft account and they have no record of any purchases by me through my Paypal account. So Paypal ignored that and said it was "not an unauthorized" purchase - even though Microsoft confirmed my account has NO purchases whatsoever going through that Paypal account. 

So now my bank put a stop-payment to Paypal and should (hopefully) resolve it properly. 

After that, Paypal will be GONE from my premises. 

:censored:

are paypal fines clime or ease a bit?

@1950's war comics

Edited by kav

On 10/11/2022 at 6:38 PM, VintageComics said:

There are already several, new, large (Federal) law suits in the US in motion regarding "free speech" and Big Tech, and they seem to be moving to trial, meaning they have not been thrown out but seem to have legs. 

If anyone wants details they can PM me as I'm one strike away from being banned permanently from these boards and while others seem to be able to talk about anything they want I want to keep it vanilla....but free #onlyfans pics are available via DM! :D

Correct. 

But it would also prevent those sites from raping people's cookies (physically and digitally), monetizing our private lives and keep them from spreading their OWN misinformation. 

There is always a ying and a yang to every decision. 

could you sell me some more raws before you get banned? :gossip: