• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this FF48 CGC 6.0 book worth submitting for restoration removal?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I just got my FF48 back from CGC this week. Unfortunately, it came back in the purple label. The grader's notes say it's classified as Slight C-1, and that there is a 'small amount of color touch on full top front cover'. I've read that CGC might be able to remove restoration as long as it's Slight C-1. I imagine it's not guaranteed to come back in the blue universal label, and that it may suffer from a grade drop as well. Any insight or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks.

s

ff48.jpg

I'd say you need the opinion of a resto removal expert, and you need to consider all the variables:

1.  What is the current value of the comic?  

2.  What are the potential values of the comic with the potential grades after resto removal?

3.  What is the cost of the resto removal?  

4.  What are the other 'normal' defects? Are any of them improvable with cleaning or pressing?

5.  What are your own personal goals for this comic?

6.  What are your subjective financial or collection preferences?  For example, what would be an acceptable 'profit' amount or percentage if you were to attempt resto removal and regrade?

7.  Perhaps provide close up pictures of the affected areas? and/or other pictures of the comic to get a full idea.

Some of these things you need an expert to help you with, but some of them you can research yourself and provide to those from whom you are asking for help?

help the people help you.

I would go back in time and check it for restoration before I sent it to be graded. If that isn't a option as stated above you have a lot of questions to answer. Book for you or resell? If you then do you even care? I love restored books. Even better if a page is missing or a non witnessed signature. If you hate restored then learn how to remove it or find someone who does. If resell how easy is it to detect? How easy to remove? You will get good money if it is done well or easy to remove. I find most people value their time less or have lower profit expectations than I do so not worth it to remove it unless it is easy. People are always looking for a opportunity to make money. Either way a restoration expert should know exactly what can be done with the book by the excellent detailed pics I am sure you took of the book for sending it to cgc.

On 10/13/2022 at 6:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

With "C" meaning amateur restoration, the book will get damaged wherever the removal takes place. "Full top front cover"? Sounds dangerous.

Agreed.

I think it's likely the CT is along that fragile-looking top edge. Removing amateur CT literally means taking a razor blade to the cover and scraping the ink off the paper. Even if that's what you want to happen, given the chipping I'm pretty sure I see along that margin, I would be concerned that more than just CT would get razored off.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:37 PM, Qalyar said:

Agreed.

I think it's likely the CT is along that fragile-looking top edge. Removing amateur CT literally means taking a razor blade to the cover and scraping the ink off the paper. Even if that's what you want to happen, given the chipping I'm pretty sure I see along that margin, I would be concerned that more than just CT would get razored off.

If the CT removal only knocks it down to a 5.0/5.5, maybe but probably a bad book for CT removal....but that begs the question, what does "top of the book" mean???

On the upside, the PQ is OW/W, which would help stave off the larger chance of the entire edge area breaking off in pieces while removing the CT.

There is some overhang on the top of the FC, which is an invitation to disaster.

I'd probably say keep it as is and have what looks like an undergraded 6.0 (if the BC (based on what I can see with no BC pic) with a C1 label.

Edited by FanBoyOfMarve'nDC
typo's

On 10/14/2022 at 6:06 PM, FanBoyOfMarve'nDC said:

but that begs the question, what does "top of the book" mean???

So far my experience with CGC notes when it comes to color touch and trying to remove it afterwards is: There is always more than it sounds like in the grader notes.

Thing is, right now your book is safe and correctly graded, with the truthful identification of slight colour touch. That's no bad thing as the book looks fab and is a decent grade. Imagine your agonising regret when that book comes home damaged and less attractive. To add insult to injury, you will have paid for the privilege too. Sleep on it for a few months. You'll realise it's fine just as it is.