• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mass sightings of GA books being placed in Mag holders
3 3

24 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2022 at 4:57 AM, Courageous Cat said:

OK, I get it, they are covering their butts by not squeezing them into standard holders, but the average GA book looks ghastly in these mag holders. At the very least, design a super GA holder as I am certain I'm not the only one who disapproves of this carp!

+1. Hate em

On 10/14/2022 at 12:00 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The early St. John books are all in magazine holders

7D5A7FA8-B188-4F14-981B-2D3748293E15.jpeg

Oh jeez. It's not even centered. Are St. John books, or that series, larger than most other GA's? 

I've seen a few the past year or so. The first time I saw one I thought was a smaller version of the comic. Boy was a wrong doh!

1- They can cram some of the books that will be tight and are probably already fragile in a regular size holder/inner holder and risk damaging them.

2- They can put those books in big magazine size holders any old way like they do now. 

3- Like they do with the old cards like Goudey's and small series like1975 Topps Mini's they can modify the larger holder with that nice frosty border which also centers the book and makes it look pretty.

Or create a new slightly larger than the standard size holder for Golden Age books.  That would be a pretty big move by CGC, to create a new size GA holder that's slightly bigger than the standard one I know. I'm looking at my Golden Age DC's and they do look pretty tight in there, but they do fit. I don't know the best solution but just putting some books in a Mag size holder seems kind of cheesy. 

lf (3).jpg

Edited by Professor K
Gehrig card

On 10/14/2022 at 9:00 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The early St. John books are all in magazine holders

So a little clarification.  "Oversized" is the term we use for these books - they're longer than usual, at 7.5" X 11".  As such, they're harder to find in grade, generally speaking - the tops tend to get dinged up. 

Not all early St. John books (1949) are in the big holders.  Adventures in Romance, Blue Ribbon Comics, the Giant Comics Editions, Hollywood Confessions, Pictorial Confessions - all regular sized.  The oversized are concentrated in two titles (for reasons unknown) - Teen-Age Diary Secrets 4,5 and Teen-Age Romances 4,5,7,9,10,14-16, 18-21.  14 issues in all.

And a word about magazine holders.  They're not all created equal in depth, though they are in height.  There's 1/2" deep and the real monster 1" deep.  Which are probably what the pulps are going to go into.  

On 10/14/2022 at 4:07 PM, Dr. Love said:

So a little clarification.  "Oversized" is the term we use for these books - they're longer than usual, at 7.5" X 11".  As such, they're harder to find in grade, generally speaking - the tops tend to get dinged up. 

Not all early St. John books (1949) are in the big holders.  Adventures in Romance, Blue Ribbon Comics, the Giant Comics Editions, Hollywood Confessions, Pictorial Confessions - all regular sized.  The oversized are concentrated in two titles (for reasons unknown) - Teen-Age Diary Secrets 4,5 and Teen-Age Romances 4,5,7,9,10,14-16, 18-21.  14 issues in all.

And a word about magazine holders.  They're not all created equal in depth, though they are in height.  There's 1/2" deep and the real monster 1" deep.  Which are probably what the pulps are going to go into.  

A couple issues of Fightin’ Marines are also extra tall, I believe.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:27 AM, ThothAmon said:

Gave this guy plenty of breathing room. 

04CF5533-76C5-4427-9B95-C6BF00AD7EC6.jpeg

On 10/14/2022 at 6:35 AM, Funnybooks said:

presents well for the grade

From the Universal blue label on this cover here, I guess this goes to show that it's still impossible for the CGC graders to tell when micro-trimming has been done on a book when it's been performed properly, even when it's been done multiple times.  lol

On 10/15/2022 at 2:40 AM, lou_fine said:

From the Universal blue label on this cover here, I guess this goes to show that it's still impossible for the CGC graders to tell when micro-trimming has been done on a book when it's been performed properly, even when it's been done multiple times.  lol

it should all be in here

357097093_Screenshot(107).png.1795d3e798071a5b793954554ba71f2b.png

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield