• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Project: Marvel Value Stamp

165 posts in this topic

It has begun...

To honor the Marvel Value Stamps from the mid-'70s I started a jam piece where various artists could contribute. The layout is a 5 x 5 matrix on 14" x 17" Bristol. Each character is 2.5" x 2.5". I provide reference to the artist but it is their choice as to which character they do and the composition. It's really interesting to see which characters they choose (Ethan Van Sciver got pretty excited about drawing the Puppet Master).

I started getting sketches at the Dallas Comic Con in October and continued at WWTx last week.

I have uploaded them to my CAF gallery but here are some thumbnails...

Page 1

992810-MVS1.jpg

Page 2

992810-MVS2.jpg

Page 3

992810-MVS3.jpg

Page 4

992810-MVS4.jpg

I also have a gallery with close-ups of the individual pieces...

Marvel Value Stamps

992810-MVS4.jpg.c0420e70efc05013dc4fb41c7e25c923.jpg

The only problem is asking those last couple of suckers for sketches of Byrrah, The Golem, and The Plunderer.

That's what we were laughing about last weekend... "I wonder what the guy who has to draw Golem will say." However, I'm surprised at who wanted to draw what so far. No kidding Brooks would take Spider-Man and Buckler would take Deathlok. But who would have thought Van Sciver would have gone ape for doing the Puppet Master or that Buzz would get really pissed about being beat to Shang Chi and just as excited about doing Luke Cage.

The artists were really into it. By the end of the show I had artists tracking me down to see what had been completed.

I paid for a couple of them but only b/c I wanted to. The most was $20 to Ethan Van Sciver because he stopped working on a $150 commission and spent over 20 minutes working on it. I also dropped $20 in the ACTOR jar for Terry Moore.

I am out a total of $70 on it so far. Not bad for 20 sketches.

I so want to steal this idea, but I just couldn't let myself do that. "Must find cool project to start..."

Well just don't steal this one.. ;-)

http://www.hulk-smash.com/GoreySketches/GashlyIndex.htm

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=13593

Chris

Cage Con was this weekend (12/3). It was basically dead for the comic artists. However, I did manage to pick up 4 more additions to my Marvel Value Stamp project...

#2 Hulk, David Finch

1018688-002_Hulk_DavidFinch.jpg

#13 Doctor Strange, Scott Kurtz

1018688-013_DoctorStrange_ScottKurt.jpg

#22 Man Thing, Paul Mulligan

1018688-022_ManThing_PaulMulligan.jpg

#67 Cyclops, Cameron Stewart

1018688-067_Cyclops_CameronStewart.jpg

Here are what the updated layout look like...

Page 1

1018688-MVS1.jpg

Page 3

1018688-MVS3.jpg

You can see everything in my CAF gallery.

1018688-MVS3.jpg.73e56715ad2d3731c7a3fb92d43e735f.jpg