• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Project: Marvel Value Stamp

165 posts in this topic

This has to be one of the most creative, well-thought-out ideas I've seen in a long long time...my hats off to you, and congrats on owning such a WAY-COOL art project...!!!

I'm amazed at how cool some of them came out...(Puppet Master...who would've thought...?!?!). I AM surprised nobody has chosen Man-Wolf yet though...

Lot of great art in this project...love the Puppet Master the best, not sure what Adam Hughes was going for...

Boobs... Adam was going for boobs. That's what he does... boobs.

Yeah, that's the risk you take when doing a jam piece. If one guy makes a bad drawing it can ruin the whole thing. Luckily Golem is probably the worst character so it doesn't bother me too much that it's a sucky sketch.

Even though this is an old post I just wanted to add this. If an artist is a tool and does a mess sketch on a piece like this it just reflects badly on that artist. There are some really cool detailed sketches on this thing, and do you really want to draw something that everyone is immediately going to point out is far and away the weakest effort of all the images? John Romita is a hell of a lot older than Suydam and he gave you a quality Kraven. You can't knock the Cardy Ka-Zar because the guy was pushing 90 years old when he drew that, so just getting a legend to take part is enough.

Yeah, that's the risk you take when doing a jam piece. If one guy makes a bad drawing it can ruin the whole thing. Luckily Golem is probably the worst character so it doesn't bother me too much that it's a sucky sketch.

Even though this is an old post I just wanted to add this. If an artist is a tool and does a mess sketch on a piece like this it just reflects badly on that artist. There are some really cool detailed sketches on this thing, and do you really want to draw something that everyone is immediately going to point out is far and away the weakest effort of all the images? John Romita is a hell of a lot older than Suydam and he gave you a quality Kraven. You can't knock the Cardy Ka-Zar because the guy was pushing 90 years old when he drew that, so just getting a legend to take part is enough.

The funny thing is Romita did his eating a turkey sandwich in a tiny, crowed room. Suydam did his sitting at a big table with no one else around. meh

It's been suggested more than once that I 86 the Cardy Ka-Zar but, to tell you the truth, I'm glad to have it. I have plans for this that involve getting some of the pencil-only pieces inked. Cardy's would be one of the them and I think it would turn out just fine.

It's been suggested more than once that I 86 the Cardy Ka-Zar but, to tell you the truth, I'm glad to have it. I have plans for this that involve getting some of the pencil-only pieces inked. Cardy's would be one of the them and I think it would turn out just fine.

I agree. The Cardy isn't so bad, it's just loose compared to the others (Much better than the Suydam) and should ink fine.

Lot of great art in this project...love the Puppet Master the best, not sure what Adam Hughes was going for...

Boobs... Adam was going for boobs. That's what he does... boobs.

I don't see what's so difficult to get about it? Adam is best known for his humor and boobs. And not in that order.

This little sketch takes care of both.

Wow! I can't believe you're almost finished.

Some of them are fantastic!

Who did the Ghost Rider? (worship)

GR (top right page 4) was Talant Caldwell.

Yeah, that GR is suh-weet! (thumbs u (thumbs u

A magnum opus, Stronguy! :golfclap:

Duh, I know what he is known for, but AH's execution on this one was poor.

If you look at the close-up there's actually quite a bit of detail on this. It is by no means my favorite of the group - but I'd hardly call the execution poor.

My two favorites on this are the Electro and the Finch Hulk.

That Electro when you see it in person is very striking and one of the best uses of the space I think out of the entire set. Same for the Finch Hulk. He really used the space to portray the character and in person he looks like he's almost bursting off the page.

Jeff, Pulido would be completely blown away now after the additions.

Jeff, this project is THE standard for sketch geeks. You know that, don't you? It's a great idea you had in putting this together and it's great to see it come together.

Friggin' shame Suydam mailed it in on his sketch opportunity... I'd almost be tempted to have another artist white it out and sketch over it. Still, soooo many gems there--you should be proud of what you've got there!

The funny thing is Romita did his eating a turkey sandwich in a tiny, crowed room. Suydam did his sitting at a big table with no one else around. meh

why would you dump the Ka-Zar? It's Ka-Zar, for gawd's sake

Hopefully this will be the second to the last update... 2 to go. Almost got them done in Baltimore but the stars didn't align so instead of rushing it I decided to wait.

#37, The Watcher - Jim Valentino

037_TheWatcher_JimValentino.jpg

#42, Man-Wolf - Michael Golden

042_ManWolf_MichaelGolden.jpg

#53, The Grim Reaper - Tom Mandrake

053_The-GrimReaper_TomMandrake.jpg

#62, The Plunderer - Mark Morales

Talk about an unknown character with almost zero usable reference. Mark did a great job on this.

062_ThePlunderer_MarkMorale.jpg

#77, The Swordsman - Neal Adams

For those who didn't read the story in Comics General... This was nearly a horror story. The way I usually do this is let the artist choose what they want to do but Neal was crazy busy so I worked it out with his son Jason. I decided on the Black Knight and gave Jason the reference piece to work from. When I came back a few hours later Neal had drawn the Black Knight in the wrong place. I told Jason and he just kind of gave me that "oh" look. He asked how big of a deal it was and I told him that 93 others had gotten it right. He and I looked at it and discovered Neal had mistaken the Swordsman for the BK and that's where he put it. The helmets are similar so he asked his dad if he could fix it. Neal took it to his room that night and did the touch ups. Very nice... tragedy averted.

077_TheSwordsman_NealAdams.jpg

And here are the layouts...

Page 1 - Complete

MVS1.jpg

Page 2 - Almost complete (that's another story)

MVS2.jpg

Page 3 - Complete

MVS3.jpg

Page 4 - Remaining: #78 - The Owl, #97 - The Black Knight

MVS4.jpg