• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I have a high grade newwstand Batman 423 with a unwitnessed sig.......
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Hi , 

I have a high grade Batman 423 signed by Jim Starlin a newsstand copy . Or at least I was assured it was an authentic signature by the person I puchased 

if from / 

I was considering getting Todd Mcfarlane to sign this book in CGC's in house signing ,  but was wondering if having the Starlin Signature on the book already 

would cause the grade to go down or somehow make it undesirable since it is not a witnessed signature ? 
From my understanding it will be marked with writing on the cover or something of that nature . 

Will they acually take away from my grade from having this signature and do you think this hurts the desirability of the book ? 

Yes, it will harm the book if you're looking for a blue label, as it will be graded as 'Marker on cover'. If you go green label it will be graded as is, but it will have a green label, which honestly, isn't going to be as desirable on the market. 

If you want to get a witnessed signature at the upcoming McFarlane signing event as you mention, I'd sadly recomennd getting a new copy, and saving this copy as it is, bagged and boarded. Of course, if it's strictly for your personal collection and never going to be sold, do what you like. 

On 10/18/2022 at 8:56 PM, Cat said:

Yes, it will harm the book if you're looking for a blue label, as it will be graded as 'Marker on cover'. If you go green label it will be graded as is, but it will have a green label, which honestly, isn't going to be as desirable on the market. 

If you want to get a witnessed signature at the upcoming McFarlane signing event as you mention, I'd sadly recomennd getting a new copy, and saving this copy as it is, bagged and boarded. Of course, if it's strictly for your personal collection and never going to be sold, do what you like. 

was hoping they would at least write "Jim Starlin "  written in marker on cover and a blue label haha .

Yeah don't want a green label . 

Edited by Corallas

On 10/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, Corallas said:

was hoping they would at least write "Jim Starlin "  written in marker on cover and a blue label haha .

Well you can get a blue label and acknowledgement that there's writing on the cover, at least. It'll just be a rather low grade, something like a 7.0 if the book was very high grade beforehand, for example. If you want the high grade as is, you get the green label. 

Check out this thread, as a recent customer is going through the same thing. 

On 10/18/2022 at 9:18 PM, Cat said:

Well you can get a blue label and acknowledgement that there's writing on the cover, at least. It'll just be a rather low grade, something like a 7.0 if the book was very high grade beforehand, for example. If you want the high grade as is, you get the green label. 

Check out this thread, as a recent customer is going through the same thing. 

Thanks for that , much clearer now. 

I was trying to figure out if the acual writing on the book would hurt the grade and it appears like it would with the yellow/blue label even if the second sig is witnessed . 

You'll get a hybrid yellow/green label if you add Mcfarlane.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm not sure, but I think there might be a caveat when it comes to requesting a blue ( or straight yellow label in this case ).   I don't think you can take the grade hit with yellow labels.  Maybe @seanfingh can help

On 10/18/2022 at 10:23 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You'll get a hybrid yellow/green label if you add Mcfarlane.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm not sure, but I think there might be a caveat when it comes to requesting a blue ( or straight yellow label in this case ).   I don't think you can take the grade hit with yellow labels.  Maybe @seanfingh can help

I probably could have in 2013, but now I have no clue how they are treating requests like this. Sorry.

I mean, I guess you can think of it like, what if the signature on the book was "Doofus McGee."  Do you think the book would/should take a hit to the overall grade with that writing on the cover?  

CGC basically says, unless they personally witnessed the signature as it was being made, they are all "Doofus McGees"  to them.  

Might be a little harsh when there's little question of the authenticity of a sig. But that's what they do.  

Don’t buy it.

Oh wait, you already have it?

Sell it, try to break even, buy unsigned copy. 

Unless you don’t care about money. 

And that isn’t meant to be an insult. I’m just saying that if this is a personal copy that you got signed, or for whatever reason, you love, and you want to get graded… go for it. 

Any green label from an outsider’s collecting is hated. Even the green stripe. I have green labels in my collection that I personally got signed and either, didn’t understand the CGC Signature Series concept well enough, or simply didn’t have it available to me at the small little comic show, but still wanted the book protected. 

For me to sell them, if ever, would be a total pain in the - - -. 

So my overarching point is, for whatever reason, future selling is important to you, and the aftermarket resell is important to your collection? Do not buy ungraded signed comic books. I used to, and they are a pain in the - - - to offload.

Save yourself the heart ache, the time, and the money, and part with it before you are too deep.

Good luck and happy collecting!

Edited by D2