• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Fall Edition (#4) Round 1
8 8

163 posts in this topic

2 bulls , 2 one pointers  -  looking good until

Sentai which I had at six -  I thought that was a nasty crease on the left side.  I looked at pics of other Sentais and did not see that on any, so assumed that was a serious defect.

so.....pffffft 

On 10/31/2022 at 9:14 PM, boron said:

I looked at pics of other Sentais

I looked at a couple on eBay and that book must be graded on a curve. (I nailed it though.)

On 10/31/2022 at 7:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

Several people under graded the Sentai book.  Should I note camera glare in the future?  I have asked this before, and the consensus was no. 

I for one would have loved that information! I stared at that picture for so long and came down on the side of colour rub. I had a total of two points on the first four books, but I may already be statistically eliminated now based on my major wiff on that last book. doh!

On 11/1/2022 at 12:06 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

200-1.gif

Same here, ten points I think, seven of them on two books. Cap killed me, as I missed the defects on my phone. Not sure I'd have been any closer on the first book though, had I viewed it on my desktop at home. 5.5 with a big ugly cover tear? I don't know. Anyway, back home now, so let's see what I can salvage from the remaining rounds. 

On 10/31/2022 at 7:30 PM, grendelbo said:

I think 5 points.

2 bullseyes and another off by a grade. I knew I was being too harsh with the Red Dragon and too lenient with the Captain America. But I ignored my instincts. :pullhair:

lol

sounds familiar.

5 points.

4.5 on red dragon

9.4 on captain america.

My full grades were

Red Dragon #7  CGC 5.0 (felt some of the edge wear warranted lower)

Superboy #68 CGC 3.0 (yay)

Captain America #117 CGC 9.4 (completely missed the bottom right corner AND the small stain on back)

Werewolf by Night #32 CGC 4.5 (gave it the WWBN #32 bump unnecessarily)

Sentai #2 CGC 7.0 (my Kryptonite...and it is funny because I said well I think its a 9.0-9.2 but there is a vertical crease top left of the book along the spine and I felt due to the length, it would drop it this much. No crease at all just glare....ugh)

9 points?

Edited by comicginger1789

Man, considering how much I rushed it, still three bullseyes! 

But then had the Cap at 9.4.  That grade still seems harsh, light stain or not.  

And the Sentai at 8.0.  And, I mean, I looked close.  That did not look like camera glare to me.  (shrug)

Still, I guess I take the 5 pts this round and go on about my business.  

• Administrator

@skypinkblu @Crose87420 @Ron C. @boron @Cerebus3000  I have composed round 3 and noted anything I thought was camera glare.  I don't think it's an issue for round 2.  Anyways, it's too late for any noting in that round.  I will try to be aware of this and make what I think are appropriate notes for camera glare going forward.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

On 11/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, Axelrod said:

Man, considering how much I rushed it, still three bullseyes! 

But then had the Cap at 9.4.  That grade still seems harsh, light stain or not.  

And the Sentai at 8.0.  And, I mean, I looked close.  That did not look like camera glare to me.  (shrug)

Still, I guess I take the 5 pts this round and go on about my business.  

Ok so I am not the only crazy one...maybe crazy that I docked the Sentai a whole 2 grades lol

On 11/1/2022 at 1:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

@skypinkblu @Crose87420 @Ron C. @boron @Cerebus3000  I have composed round 3 and noted anything I thought was camera glare.  I don't think it's an issue for round 2.  Anyways, it's too late for any noting in that round.  I will try to be aware of this and make what I think are appropriate notes for camera glare going forward.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I'll second a note for glare especially if it looks like that and a multitude of people seem to think and see that. I guess you would not know until after though. Perhaps a regrade on a book? At any rate, if it affected a lot of people negatively the same then so be it. Just means we have to step it up on the upcoming rounds!

On 11/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, CGC Mike said:

I have composed round 3 and noted anything I thought was camera glare.  I don't think it's an issue for round 2.  Anyways, it's too late for any noting in that round.  I will try to be aware of this and make what I think are appropriate notes for camera glare going forward.  

i'm actually opposed to letting us know if it is glare or scrape.  there are several things you cannot tell sometimes from a pic- tear vs scrape for example and starting to disclose things gets into giving more info than you should for the contest.