• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trading rather than selling comics?

23 posts in this topic

Hi all.

After many years of checking out the sales threads here on the boards and other avenues for buying and selling comics (comic auctions sites, ebay, Instagram and WhatNot) it seems that there is no sites that seem to support trades. 

Two questions spring to mind:

1. Is there a section of the CGC boards where this happens?

2. Any reputable comic trading sites or channels that any boardies have used?

On 10/25/2022 at 5:44 AM, Every Day A Story said:

Hi all.

After many years of checking out the sales threads here on the boards and other avenues for buying and selling comics (comic auctions sites, ebay, Instagram and WhatNot) it seems that there is no sites that seem to support trades. 

Because there is no money to be made by facilitating trades.

On 10/25/2022 at 5:44 AM, Every Day A Story said:

Hi all.

Two questions spring to mind:

1. Is there a section of the CGC boards where this happens?

2. Any reputable comic trading sites or channels that any boardies have used?

We’ve tried a few times to create a trading post here, but it has been unsuccessful thus far.  As Adamantium said, you can post trades in the WTB forum.  

I've made one or two trades here.  The last trade was for a couple of X-Men the seller had listed in the for sale section with a sale price and an open to trade.  It worked out for both of us.  I've also had a seller ask for scan after scan of multiple books to finally say he wasn't interested in a trade. Total waste of time.  Basically, it's been hit or miss.  With the price of books these days a trade only section (with rules) might be a good addition.

Back in the Stone Age days. Collectors used to trade a lot. I got a lot of amazing stuff. Most would use the Overstreet guide to keep it fair.

Now days it is nearly impossible. Seems that everybody wants the “edge”. What seems to be a “good deal” by one side is usually way lopsided to the other.

Way too much hassle anymore. 

On 10/25/2022 at 12:06 PM, Robot Man said:

Back in the Stone Age days. Collectors used to trade a lot. I got a lot of amazing stuff. Most would use the Overstreet guide to keep it fair.

Now days it is nearly impossible. Seems that everybody wants the “edge”. What seems to be a “good deal” by one side is usually way lopsided to the other.

Way too much hassle anymore. 

Pretty much.  Easier just to sell the book I want to trade & use that money to buy the book I want 

On 10/25/2022 at 9:06 AM, Robot Man said:

Most would use the Overstreet guide to keep it fair.

+1. Hard to do a trade when the customer wants 90% of full GPA market value for a Cgc 7.0 of a semi-key to trade towards my raw bronze keys that he can potentialize (clean, press, slab) for the flip. This experience was at a big con last weekend.

On 10/25/2022 at 12:18 PM, aardvark88 said:

+1. Hard to do a trade when the customer wants 90% of full GPA market value for a Cgc 7.0 of a semi-key to trade towards my raw bronze keys that he can potentialize (clean, press, slab) for the flip. This experience was at a big con last weekend.

Or someone who wants to trade a dozen low demand and low value books for a high demand key at equal value.  I get why they want to do it but I have trouble understanding why I would.

i did quite a big trade with @SpideyFein here about a month ago. he listed his asm3 8.5 white page copy in the for sale section and also mentioned that he was open to trades. i swapped my asm3 5.5 along with 3 other books plus a small amount of cash for his book. so trades can totally happen here @Every Day A Story

I've done 3 or 4 successful trades on the boards over the last 2 or 3 years. Some pretty sizable (including a JIM83 upgrade and trading into an AF15). 

It never hurts to ask and I usually try to only work with people who have sold here successfully before. 

Years ago I traded an Incredible Hulk #2 CGC 5.0 for a Silver Surfer #1 raw which came back CGC 9.0. Great experience and we were both happy. 

Recently I wanted a big key and had a bunch of smaller keys of the same value.  I didn't think anyone would be willing to trade a big book for several smaller books so I just sold mine as a lot and bought the big book. 

I have a first gen label 9.6 tomb of Dracula #12 that I'd love to trade for tod#10 cgc.

I thought about starting a thread but idk anyone specifically that has an under copy, nor do I know someone who is as ok with 2nd appearance than me. Lol

On 10/25/2022 at 6:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have a first gen label 9.6 tomb of Dracula #12 that I'd love to trade for tod#10 cgc.

I thought about starting a thread but idk anyone specifically that has an under copy, nor do I know someone who is as ok with 2nd appearance than me. Lol

I’ll fire up a community trading post and you can get things started (thumbsu

On 10/25/2022 at 7:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

We'll see if it gets pinned or if it has action enough to get a reserve spot. I got to thinking that the title doesn't advertise who all is in there to do business with though. I wonder if there will be too much business, so to speak, that people end up needing their own thread?

Picture for the thread looks nice though ! If I do say so myself lol

:x

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/25/2022 at 8:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

We'll see if it gets pinned or if it has action enough to get a reserve spot. I got to thinking that the title doesn't advertise who all is in there to do business with though. I wonder if there will be too much business, so to speak, that people end up needing their own thread?

Picture for the thread looks nice though ! If I do say so myself lol

:x

Why don’t you just let it percolate for a bit....

I've done tons of trades on the boards, including a recent four figure 1-for-1 book trade. Not everyone is looking to screw over the other guy in the deal. That has not been my experience at all actually. If some potential trade partner made me an offer to that effect it would be easy to spot and ignore.