• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action Comics 1 and 2

246 posts in this topic

According to OS, #1 exists as an ashcan copy with B&W cover. It contains a coverless comic on the inside with 1st and last page missing, and claims that 2 copies exist in fair and fine condition.

This may have been discussed somewhere else, but what exactly is the interior to Double Action #2?

Full story? Color? New story?

Here is my 11/14/03 post from another thread, which contains some of the info you are asking about:

Specifically, Double Action #2 contains the following material:

Two "Dr. Occult" stories by Simon & Schuster (entitled "Vampire Venom" and "The Spectral Killer"); a "Sandra of the Secret Service" story (by Will Ely); a "Sam the Porter" strip (by Alger); two "Hanko the Cowhand" strips (by Flessel); a story called "Pirate Gold"; a "Spike Spalding" strip (by Vin Sullivan); a "Woozy Watts" strip (by Alger); a "Bob Merritt" story (by Leo O'Maelia); two "Mark Marson of the Interplanetary Police" stories (by Hickey); two "Jest Jokes" strips (by Ellsworth); two "Johnnie Law" stories (by Will Ely); a "Jack Woods" story (by Will Ely); a "Little Linda" strip (by Ellsworth); a "Three Musketeers" story; a "Magic Crystal of History" strip; a "Brad Hardy" story (by Hickey); and two "Marty McCann" stories.

No pages are missing, The first and last pages are on the inside of the covers. The publisher's indicia is located on the inside of the front cover.

Here is some additional information on this interesting book: At least one copy has been located that was apparently bought off the newsstands and was not part of the original group that was discovered. That copy is in VG condition and was sold on ebay in 1999. I don't know what it sold for. Finally, it is rumored that of the original 6 books that were found, only two were complete books, while the others were just cover sheets. One book that was on the market a few years ago appeared to have have had its original cover replaced with a high grade cover sheet. I saw the book and it was apparent that the cover had been added because it did not fit the book properly.

The interior pages are black and white.

RHG

In the next few months Heritage will be offering two raw Double Action #2 books. One restored, one unrestored. This is one of the key books I want to include in my collection. Fortunately the fact that the books will not be offered for months allows time to conduct extensive research into the history of this book, and it certainly needs it!!!

There are a few prior threads that discussed this issue, but still more questions than answers abound. This thread probably contains the most information:

Double Action

I don't have the Guide in front of me but I saw that someone referenced that it indicates 7 copies exist. RareHighGrade, who owns a HG raw copy, noted that he knew of 11 copies. The CGC census has apparently remained unchanged for the last three or four years at 5 copies (unrestored 9.2, 9.0 and 3.0, and restored 5.5 and 0.5).

Some questions to start:

Who first "discovered" Double Action #2?

Can anyone trace the provenance of specific existing copies?

What is the known census of existing copies?

Who is known to currently or formerly own copies of the issue (I know Mark Wilson sold the CGC 9.2 copy)?

What prices have been paid over the years for the different copies?

:popcorn:

Well I can tell you a little bit about the double action #2 that became a part of Ian Levine's collection...

It was discovered by Joe Conzolo who owns JC Comics in North Plainfield New Jersey (actually his brother Jeff got it in)... and essentially it was just a part of a collection with some other GA books. Other than the Overstreet designation, they weren't completely aware of how rare the book was or what its value was.

As we all know, this copy became part of the infamous "the wheels are in motion" thread. Essentially though, the copy was just in someone's house and walked into a store... the copy was then sold to Metropolis (after I believe being CGC'd) and then sold to Ian Levine.

Sol Harrison had two Double Action 2 covers in his effects - no full copies. Of the two covers, I purchased one and sold it two years ago for $4,000.

It is rumored that the other is now the cover of a married copy...

I first saw a copy of Double Action 2 on a dealer's table at the old monthly Comic Book Club meeting at the Chicago YMCA on Wabash in 1976 or 1977. It looked to be a VG or so. I have no idea what happened to it.

RareHighGrade, who owns a HG raw copy, noted that he knew of 11 copies.

Actually, I am not aware of there being 11 copies. That statement was made by Ian Levine, as I recall, in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=495226&page=0&fpart=5.

Sorry about that. I wrote some of the details from memory. Does anyone speak to Ian and can ask him where he obtained the figure of 11 copies.

This may have been discussed somewhere else, but what exactly is the interior to Double Action #2?

Here is my 11/14/03 post from another thread, which contains some of the info you are asking about:

Two "Dr. Occult" stories by Simon & Schuster (entitled "Vampire Venom" and "The Spectral Killer"); a "Sandra of the Secret Service" story (by Will Ely); a "Sam the Porter" strip (by Alger); two "Hanko the Cowhand" strips (by Flessel); a story called "Pirate Gold"; a "Spike Spalding" strip (by Vin Sullivan); a "Woozy Watts" strip (by Alger); a "Bob Merritt" story (by Leo O'Maelia); two "Mark Marson of the Interplanetary Police" stories (by Hickey); two "Jest Jokes" strips (by Ellsworth); two "Johnnie Law" stories (by Will Ely); a "Jack Woods" story (by Will Ely); a "Little Linda" strip (by Ellsworth); a "Three Musketeers" story; a "Magic Crystal of History" strip; a "Brad Hardy" story (by Hickey); and two "Marty McCann" stories.

No pages are missing, The first and last pages are on the inside of the covers. The publisher's indicia is located on the inside of the front cover.

RHG

Does anyone know if this interior is a complete copy of another published book? If so, what issue?

Have we confirmed that every copy has the exact same interior pages?

Here is some additional information on this interesting book: At least one copy has been located that was apparently bought off the newsstands and was not part of the original group that was discovered. That copy is in VG condition and was sold on ebay in 1999. I don't know what it sold for. Finally, it is rumored that of the original 6 books that were found, only two were complete books, while the others were just cover sheets. One book that was on the market a few years ago appeared to have have had its original cover replaced with a high grade cover sheet. I saw the book and it was apparent that the cover had been added because it did not fit the book properly.

RHG

RHG:

Here are scans of the cover I sold in 2005. Do they match up with yours?

DoubleActionFC.jpg

DoubleActionBC.jpg

DoubleActionInsideFC.jpg

DoubleActionInsideBC.jpg