• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action Comics 1 and 2

246 posts in this topic

I'm thinking $5k - $20k.

I'd be SHOCKED if it went for 5k. Hell, I would pay 5k for it and I am broke as a joke.

My guess is 15-25k.

cool...based on octobers' info, I adjusted my est to $20K...seems like I am right in line

Guess I can cancel my thrill bid of 5k. :(

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on this book, I just know what other people on here have told me, but I think it's easy to underestimate the amount of interest the auction will draw. Granted, it's not as important as many ashcans, but it is more famous. Plenty of threads around here devoted to it and plenty of rare gold collectors chomping at the bit for a copy.

I'm thinking $5k - $20k.

I'd be SHOCKED if it went for 5k. Hell, I would pay 5k for it and I am broke as a joke.

My guess is 15-25k.

cool...based on octobers' info, I adjusted my est to $20K...seems like I am right in line

I didn't say what price it would go for, I provided a range, particularly of value. Whether it sells for more or less will be determined on the date of the auction. Then we can all banter on whether that price was worth it or not, especially by those who didn't buy it! doh!

I'm thinking $5k - $20k.

My guess is 15-25k.

I agree, Andy. My loose cover sold for 4 grand for chrissakes...

I have seen at least 8 copies. I really don't understand what the big deal is about this book. When you compare Double Action #2 to books of actual significance such as New Fun Comics #1 & 6, there is no comparison.

S

Stephen:

I think that any DC comic book from the '30s/early '40s with the word ACTION in the title is going to draw keen interest from collectors.

Action Comics

Action Funnies

Double Action Comics

Triple Action Comics

And it is purported that ashcans all of all 4 of these titles were created.

I'd double-check that copy of yours to make sure its says "Marvel" on it, Stephen.

--Gary

I like the vibrant dark green of DA #2 but the cover depicts is it a hippo opening its mouth? Think the cover to Adventure #39 (bondage) is nicer but I am biased because I just bought 1 yesterday.

Also, Gerber had hi-grade copies of both Suspense 3 and DA #2 to scan large or self-promote in his GA Photojournals, as they were both sold/auctioned by Gerber after publication.

RHG's copy of Double Action 2 ranks as one of the most memorable books I've ever seen in nearly three decades of collecting - it's simply stunning!

Thanks Steve. I agree that the book looks even better in person than in the scan. My purchase of it was the single most exciting and luckiest moment of my collecting career. The mere fact of how I was able to get it is a story in and of itself, although not one I can go into on the Boards.

I sold the book about 13 years ago to a collector who was told that the book was married and had a DC file copy cover.

Steve

Steve, what book was used as the interior? And how was it determined that the interior was correct?

Very crucial to determine the history of the issue!!!!!

Mark

:bump:

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller??????

I doubt you'll get an answer Mark... his typical pattern has emerged yet again:

1) Make a covering statement to address the misdeed, but such statement actually only serves to exacerbate the situation.

2) Post a few jokes for levity and to take the pressure off.

3) Disappear.

Why, it's just like watching a magic show :juggle:

I sold the book about 13 years ago to a collector who was told that the book was married and had a DC file copy cover.

Steve

Steve, what book was used as the interior? And how was it determined that the interior was correct?

Very crucial to determine the history of the issue!!!!!

Mark

:bump:

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller??????

I had a customer who said he had a coverless copy of Double Action#2. It was easy to verify in that I had a Fine copy of DA#2 at exactly the same time. Sure enough, it was a coverless copy.

I had spent 2 years trying to find a coverless copy of the book. The guy I got the coverless copy from bought it at an Atlantique City show. My customer had purchased about 200 beat up comics from a dealer who had set up there.

A coverless copy of DA#2 is easy to spot because it is all in B&W.

S