• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action Comics 1 and 2

246 posts in this topic

I'd like to clear up a couple of misconceptions. The original, complete DA #2s were not hand-assembled. Rather, they were produced just like any other GA comic (although in a much lower print run). The interior of the book is unique and was created just for the DA #2. It is true that much, and perhaps all, of the interior is comprised of reprints. Those reprints, however, are in a unique order and black and white format that exists only in DA #2. In other words, the interior of every authentic DA #2 is the same, but that interior is not found in any other book. The covers were added during the production process and fit the books perfectly, just as with any other regular comic.

The copies that have been married to cover sheets, on the other hand, are noticably different. Unless the cover sheet is trimmed to fit the book, it will have a noticable overhang, just as Swapto's copy does. Even if trimmed, it likely would not fit the book as perfectly as those copies that were originally produced with covers.

The Sol Harrison collection of memorabilia contained two loose DA covers. Joe Desris, Sol's agent, sold one to me and one to Stephen. I kept mine until I sold it three years ago. The collector who bought it has it locked up and I don't expect to see it on the market for years.

Rumors of a married DA 2 surfaced in the late 80's or early 90's. At the time I could only surmise that Stephen had professionally attached his cover to a beater/coverless copy. At the time no one really raised an eyebrow about this because married "file" copies were turning up all the time due to the SA Marvel covers that Mark Wilson and others had. Most of these "file" copies were easy to spot as married, but I'm sure a few got attached to some pristine interiors and fooled some people.

Hand assembled and married are clearly not the same thing. For instance the interior of the Superman ashcan and it's cover were assembled by hand, not by a machine. The key is that they were intended to be assembled in the manner that they were. Married copies are simply efforts to make a comic book look original when it's not.

I'm surprised that Heritage failed to use the term "married" in their auction description. Heritage's cataloger called me specifically about this book prior to the description being written. I explained that I believed this copy was the rumored married copy that Stephen had 20 years ago. I also mentioned that I thought that DA 2 was not an ashcan, that all signs lead to some copies actually being sold (maybe at a newsstand outside DC's offices?) and that I was sure it was machine assembled. To me that's the only explanation for there being low-grade, mid-grade and high-grade examples of the book. If it were an ashcan, it would be high grade or suffer from storage damage - not wear and tear from multiple readings.

I own some married books in my collection, but I knew they were married copies when I bought them.

with that new California law, god knows what kind of married books we're gonna start seeing in the near future.

So.... caught in a lie?

who cares? frank is very courteous and professional, and they package very securely and mail quickly. sometimes they knock off the shipping costs.

I feel terrible about the things I've said now that you've pointed that out. I imagine that eventually this thread will recieve a three paragraph letter about how dissapointed they are in us and how they just can't please some people, especially the troublemaking type.

Either that or each and every one of you will get a PM from Vinnie telling you how disappointed he is that you are piling on Metro in their time of need!

Shame on the whole lot of you, you rabble rousers! (tsk)

I thought it was just me he sent those to. :sorry:

I have a pile of PMs and e-mails. Unfortunately I don't think it is right to share PMs without permission, and I doubt Vincent or Steve would give me the thumbs up.

But I assure you that they are amusing and highly entertaining. That's why I keep them!

i'm not quite as circumspect as my friend ricky. here's one of the pm's he sent me:

Billy, do you think all Florida grads fart as much as gator does? he needs to see a doctor about that.

i'm not quite as circumspect as my friend ricky. here's one of the pm's he sent me:

Billy, do you think all Florida grads fart as much as gator does? he needs to see a doctor about that.

I don't remember sending it (shrug)

But I'll sure take credit for it! :grin:

So.... caught in a lie?

who cares? frank is very courteous and professional, and they package very securely and mail quickly. sometimes they knock off the shipping costs.

I feel terrible about the things I've said now that you've pointed that out. I imagine that eventually this thread will recieve a three paragraph letter about how dissapointed they are in us and how they just can't please some people, especially the troublemaking type.

Either that or each and every one of you will get a PM from Vinnie telling you how disappointed he is that you are piling on Metro in their time of need!

I have a pile of PMs and e-mails. Unfortunately I don't think it is right to share PMs without permission, and I doubt Vincent or Steve would give me the thumbs up.

But I assure you that they are amusing and highly entertaining. That's why I keep them!

You're an honorable man.....although.....I'm fairly sure they would use them if they needed to. What do you think?

I'm fairly sure they would use them if they needed to. What do you think?

That is guaranteed!

I eat a lot of sugarless gum and it makes me fart.... a lot. My granddaughters just kicked me out of the TV room because of that and now I won't be able to see what happens to Sponge Bob.

I eat a lot of sugarless gum and it makes me fart.... a lot. My granddaughters just kicked me out of the TV room because of that and now I won't be able to see what happens to Sponge Bob.

I think Gator's fumes killed Sponge Bob!

I think Gator's fumes killed Sponge Bob!

it's true; i read in national geographic there are no sponges left on florida's gulf coast.

it's true Steve, but the guy's so well-connected, every time they manage to get out, he enlists The Flame to put 'em back in!!!

As someone who has been "burned" :flamed: by the guy more times than I care to remember, I can easily relate!

I'm surprised that Heritage failed to use the term "married" in their auction description. Heritage's cataloger called me specifically about this book prior to the description being written. I explained that I believed this copy was the rumored married copy that Stephen had 20 years ago. I also mentioned that I thought that DA 2 was not an ashcan, that all signs lead to some copies actually being sold (maybe at a newsstand outside DC's offices?) and that I was sure it was machine assembled. To me that's the only explanation for there being low-grade, mid-grade and high-grade examples of the book. If it were an ashcan, it would be high grade or suffer from storage damage - not wear and tear from multiple readings.

I forgot you had spoken to Heritage before the auction as well. Why bother call an expert on a topic if they are simply going to ignore the advice? (shrug)

So.... caught in a lie?

IBS...nasty case :insane:

Having attended some games in the swamp, I can only assume the entire student body suffers from the same malaise.

Having attended some games in the swamp, I can only assume the entire student body suffers from the same malaise.

+1 But I think it's from eating Burrito Brothers before the game.

great; i'm due to be there to watch the defending national champions in october. one more thing to NOT look forward to.

great; i'm due to be there to watch the defending national champions in october. one more thing to NOT look forward to.

Fan flatulence is probably one of the lesser things fans of visiting teams have to worry about. The place is not really known for the sportsmanship or hospitality they have towards guests.

Oy, this thread has been killed before the discussion obtained answers. zzz

Farts have that effect on a conversation.

Billy says if you are ever getting hammered in court, and you want the questioning to stop, just let 'er rip!

gatorheadanimate0xv1gv-11.gif