• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action Comics 1 and 2

246 posts in this topic

wait; i'm having a bluechip moment

:signfunny: Yeah, sounds like the same logic :P is being applied here ...

I do understand AS's point somewhat, in that, yes, the book was probably originally intended to be hand-assembled and that eventually it was ... but that's really missing the main point.

Heritage stand firm that this a hand assembled copy, not a married cover copy. david said that all DA#2s are hand assembled and that this copy just happened to be assembled with the file copy cover.

Alright, either I'm stupid or this is a pile of compostable_fertilizer.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the semantics of the situations here are that:

a) hand-assembled as per Heritage means that the cover was attached back in the days when the books were created (1940's) while

b) married would refer to the cover being attached recently (circa late 1990's as per the letter),

so that in effect the only difference is NOT in the process but in the TIMING.

How in God's green Earth would anyone at Heritage be able to determine and establish that the attaching / stapling was done in the '40s rather than in the '90s.

Am I off anywhere here? Is there a further nuance in that hand-assembled means that the cover was originally intended for this book while married would refer to a copy that had a cover, became coverless and then got re-attached to another cover (the File cover). Even if that was the case, there is no way they can ascertain if the attaching happened then and not now?

I don't think it's just the timing but whether this was produced by the publisher according to their defined process. That defined process could be mass-production at a printing plant, hand-assembly at the plant (October's example), hand assembled by on-site production staff (ashcans) etc. Whether this copy is designated as being married or some other term, I think it's reasonable to expect any external, unsanctioned method to be disclosed.

wait; i'm having a bluechip moment----is there a chance that the coverless copy fishler admits he had, and later put the file copy cover on, was, 50+ years before, MEANT to go on the coverless copy?? then by some cosmic being's idea of a joke they did not come together in the printing plant, tragically left the joint separate and apart and, ultimately, and only by the grace of metro's boss, did the twain converge as PLANNED ALL ALONG????????????? i think i'm on to something. Mark? 'Hand? Scrooge? Adam? thoughts?

This kind of depends on answering Mark's question as to what the insides of a DA2 "should be."

what was it hamlet said about denmark's aroma?

Hello ladies?

:acclaim:

Man, what a read this thread is. Makes one wonder how many cups of joe it took to come up with the term "hand assembled" It's catchy, in a vauge kinda way.

All kidding aside, how many potential buyers of this book would not look right past the description as worded and see the book for what it is, or ask enough to figure it out.. I am not saying it's worded correctly, but anyone looking to buy this book is not going to go solely by their description. Or is that what they are hoping someone will do?

:eek:

wait; i'm having a bluechip moment----is there a chance that the coverless copy fishler admits he had, and later put the file copy cover on, was, 50+ years before, MEANT to go on the coverless copy?? then by some cosmic being's idea of a joke they did not come together in the printing plant, tragically left the joint separate and apart and, ultimately, and only by the grace of metro's boss, did the twain converge as PLANNED ALL ALONG????????????? i think i'm on to something. Mark? 'Hand? Scrooge? Adam? thoughts?

Well, we certainly can't disprove the possibility or even probability of such a cosmic moment having some sort of validity! doh!:whistle:

It's like that Love Boat episode when the young couple meet on the ship (out of 1500 passengers no less), fall in love and then discover they are actually brother and sister. :o Fortunately, they are step brother and sister!! Phew, that was close. There's still a happy ending. :banana: Who would have thought such a thing possible! Ah, whether a married comic book or step-incest, ain't true love beautiful. :luhv:

wait; i'm having a bluechip moment

:signfunny: Yeah, sounds like the same logic :P is being applied here ...

I do understand AS's point somewhat, in that, yes, the book was probably originally intended to be hand-assembled and that eventually it was ... but that's really missing the main point.

I was not clear. This book was not produced via the publisher or it's designated agent and that fact should be articulated when selling the book.

Heritage stand firm that this a hand assembled copy, not a married cover copy. david said that all DA#2s are hand assembled and that this copy just happened to be assembled with the file copy cover.

Alright, either I'm stupid or this is a pile of compostable_fertilizer.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but the semantics of the situations here are that:

a) hand-assembled as per Heritage means that the cover was attached back in the days when the books were created (1940's) while

b) married would refer to the cover being attached recently (circa late 1990's as per the letter),

so that in effect the only difference is NOT in the process but in the TIMING.

How in God's green Earth would anyone at Heritage be able to determine and establish that the attaching / stapling was done in the '40s rather than in the '90s.

Am I off anywhere here? Is there a further nuance in that hand-assembled means that the cover was originally intended for this book while married would refer to a copy that had a cover, became coverless and then got re-attached to another cover (the File cover). Even if that was the case, there is no way they can ascertain if the attaching happened then and not now?

I don't think it's just the timing but whether this was produced by the publisher according to their defined process. That defined process could be mass-production at a printing plant, hand-assembly at the plant (October's example), hand assembled by on-site production staff (ashcans) etc. Whether this copy is designated as being married or some other term, I think it's reasonable to expect any external, unsanctioned method to be disclosed.

This kind of depends on answering Mark's question as to what the insides of a DA2 "should be."

I e-mailed Lon Allen earlier tonight with RHG's description asking him to please check Swapto's copy which is still in their possession.

I'd like to clear up a couple of misconceptions. The original, complete DA #2s were not hand-assembled. Rather, they were produced just like any other GA comic (although in a much lower print run). The interior of the book is unique and was created just for the DA #2. It is true that much, and perhaps all, of the interior is comprised of reprints. Those reprints, however, are in a unique order and black and white format that exists only in DA #2. In other words, the interior of every authentic DA #2 is the same, but that interior is not found in any other book. The covers were added during the production process and fit the books perfectly, just as with any other regular comic.

The copies that have been married to cover sheets, on the other hand, are noticably different. Unless the cover sheet is trimmed to fit the book, it will have a noticable overhang, just as Swapto's copy does. Even if trimmed, it likely would not fit the book as perfectly as those copies that were originally produced with covers.

thanks Peter.

thanks to the boards i knew the cover was married before i bid on the heritage copy and i am happy with my purchase. (aside from the fact that i have to sell for financial reasons, in no way do i feel duped by heritage before the purchase. and in no way am i selling this book now because the cover is married and heritage's description is wrong.)

i am slightly annoyed by Heritage and David Toth who claim a very different story about double action#2s and their production/history.

i look forward to speaking with Stephen about the finer details of this book in particular.

thanks Peter.

thanks to the boards i knew the cover was married before i bid on the heritage copy and i am happy with my purchase. (aside from the fact that i have to sell for financial reasons, in no way do i feel duped by heritage before the purchase. and in no way am i selling this book now because the cover is married and heritage's description is wrong.)

i am slightly annoyed by Heritage and David Toth who claim a very different story about double action#2s and their production/history.

i look forward to speaking with Stephen about the finer details of this book in particular.

mention that we look forward to him updating the "dictionary of abbreviations" subsection of his site's "grading guide" to indicate "d.c. file copy" is short for MARRIED EFFING COVER.

thanks Peter.

swapto, i'm trying to put together a little one of each g.a. title d.c. run; i so wish i could afford to snap your copy up right now. notwithstanding my stated gripes with some of it's handlers, i think it is a GREAT comic.

So.... caught in a lie?

who cares? frank is very courteous and professional, and they package very securely and mail quickly. sometimes they knock off the shipping costs.

I feel terrible about the things I've said now that you've pointed that out. I imagine that eventually this thread will recieve a three paragraph letter about how dissapointed they are in us and how they just can't please some people, especially the troublemaking type.

Either that or each and every one of you will get a PM from Vinnie telling you how disappointed he is that you are piling on Metro in their time of need!

Shame on the whole lot of you, you rabble rousers! (tsk)

...it's this kind of rabblerousing that has made stephen back away from the hobby, i recall him saying last year in a thread.

You're correct, BP - it must be a real person_without_enough_empathy to have a legion of skeletons in one's closet, all forcing their way out.

A classic pathological withdrawal response, sadly enough.

I'd like to clear up a couple of misconceptions. The original, complete DA #2s were not hand-assembled. Rather, they were produced just like any other GA comic (although in a much lower print run). The interior of the book is unique and was created just for the DA #2. It is true that much, and perhaps all, of the interior is comprised of reprints. Those reprints, however, are in a unique order and black and white format that exists only in DA #2. In other words, the interior of every authentic DA #2 is the same, but that interior is not found in any other book. The covers were added during the production process and fit the books perfectly, just as with any other regular comic.

The copies that have been married to cover sheets, on the other hand, are noticably different. Unless the cover sheet is trimmed to fit the book, it will have a noticable overhang, just as Swapto's copy does. Even if trimmed, it likely would not fit the book as perfectly as those copies that were originally produced with covers.

I'm sure you've told me this before Peter but age keeps creeping up on me, but what is the source for the notion the DA #2s were produced like any other comic but with a much lower print run? And do we know the print run size?

Thanks! (thumbs u

So.... caught in a lie?

who cares? frank is very courteous and professional, and they package very securely and mail quickly. sometimes they knock off the shipping costs.

I feel terrible about the things I've said now that you've pointed that out. I imagine that eventually this thread will recieve a three paragraph letter about how dissapointed they are in us and how they just can't please some people, especially the troublemaking type.

Either that or each and every one of you will get a PM from Vinnie telling you how disappointed he is that you are piling on Metro in their time of need!

I thought it was just me he sent those to. :sorry:

...it's this kind of rabblerousing that has made stephen back away from the hobby, i recall him saying last year in a thread.

You're correct, BP - it must be a real person_without_enough_empathy to have a legion of skeletons in one's closet, all forcing their way out.

I occasionally have to pathologically withdraw. :sorry:

it's true Steve, but the guy's so well-connected, every time they manage to get out, he enlists The Flame to put 'em back in!!!

ww7-1.jpg

The Sol Harrison collection of memorabilia contained two loose DA covers. Joe Desris, Sol's agent, sold one to me and one to Stephen. I kept mine until I sold it three years ago. The collector who bought it has it locked up and I don't expect to see it on the market for years.

Rumors of a married DA 2 surfaced in the late 80's or early 90's. At the time I could only surmise that Stephen had professionally attached his cover to a beater/coverless copy. At the time no one really raised an eyebrow about this because married "file" copies were turning up all the time due to the SA Marvel covers that Mark Wilson and others had. Most of these "file" copies were easy to spot as married, but I'm sure a few got attached to some pristine interiors and fooled some people.

Hand assembled and married are clearly not the same thing. For instance the interior of the Superman ashcan and it's cover were assembled by hand, not by a machine. The key is that they were intended to be assembled in the manner that they were. Married copies are simply efforts to make a comic book look original when it's not.

I'm surprised that Heritage failed to use the term "married" in their auction description. Heritage's cataloger called me specifically about this book prior to the description being written. I explained that I believed this copy was the rumored married copy that Stephen had 20 years ago. I also mentioned that I thought that DA 2 was not an ashcan, that all signs lead to some copies actually being sold (maybe at a newsstand outside DC's offices?) and that I was sure it was machine assembled. To me that's the only explanation for there being low-grade, mid-grade and high-grade examples of the book. If it were an ashcan, it would be high grade or suffer from storage damage - not wear and tear from multiple readings.

I own some married books in my collection, but I knew they were married copies when I bought them.

So.... caught in a lie?

I thought it was just me he sent those to. :sorry:

I have a pile of PMs and e-mails. Unfortunately I don't think it is right to share PMs without permission, and I doubt Vincent or Steve would give me the thumbs up.

But I assure you that they are amusing and highly entertaining. That's why I keep them!