• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got my order - books too thick for slabs to close on the sides? Random plastic piece in a slab?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.  I didn't see anything for just magazines and I wasn't sure if this would go in the "comics magazines" section.

I just got my 20 item order back.  Most of them seem fine, except for like 5 slabs that won't close on the sides from 70's Playboy issues.  I get that they're super thick and for some reason there aren't thicker slabs - but shouldn't they just have rejected them?  And regarding the one with the random plastic peg-looking thing - should that be sent back for a reholder?

What do you guys think - if you were to buy a thick, slabbed magazine and the slab was a little open on the sides, is that a significant issue, or something to be expected???

IMG_2858.JPEG

IMG_2859.JPEG

IMG_2860.JPEG

IMG_2861.JPEG

IMG_2882.JPEG

Wouldn't bother me.  It's the item in the slab that I'm buying.  The case is just to keep it safe, and to know what the grade is.

If the sides are open, maybe the top is, too.  You might be able to spread the top apart and drop the plastic peg out.  Or have it reholdered, if that is your preference, or if plan A does not work.

It looks tight to me, along with the sonic weld on the side, I'm not seeing any gaps to where it is NOT tight.

The book itself seems a little ruffled, but idk, and then I'm not sure what the extra particle plastic piece is from .

If the "peg" is under the slab then yes have it done as a mechanical errors to reholder for free.

I just missed the pic if it was a broken slab or where the peg came from, but yes either way mechanical errors, follow instructions there

On 10/28/2022 at 12:00 PM, Meekrab said:

IIRC they're still using up a supply of oooold slabs. Remember, all slabs used to have the opening on the sides.

I've got a vague memory of this from years ago when I had a few magazines slabbed. The part where it was partially exposed on the side seemed like that's how it always was - but perhaps the magazine guys will chime in.

On 10/28/2022 at 1:00 PM, Meekrab said:

IIRC they're still using up a supply of oooold slabs. Remember, all slabs used to have the opening on the sides.

It's my understanding that magazine-sized slabs are still exclusively the old style. The images of the sides look normal for this style of slab; the broken bit of plastic encapsulated with the label, of course, is not.