• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystique Covers
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I'm having a difficult time identifying the nice Mystique covers, especially early ones.  It seems she had many early appearances with no cover representation at all, or at best a minor showing.

I see Avengers Annual 10 is her first cover.  Nice, but one of many on a busy cover.

Can I get some help?  Thanks!

On 11/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, RobHW said:

I'm having a difficult time identifying the nice Mystique covers, especially early ones.  It seems she had many early appearances with no cover representation at all, or at best a minor showing.

I see Avengers Annual 10 is her first cover.  Nice, but one of many on a busy cover.

Can I get some help?  Thanks!

For a character that has made as big an impact as she did, it sure took awhile for Mystique to get a cover appearance that isn't, as you said, "busy". Frankly, it's sort of surprising how often she's a major factor in an issue but doesn't get cover space at all.

I may have missed a few (this is harder to search for than I'd expected it to be), but I think all of her pre-1990 cover appearances are:

• Avengers Annual 10
  • Rom 31 (also the first Rogue cover)
  • Rom 32
  • *Avengers Annual 15
  • X-Factor 8
  • *X-Factor 9
  • *New Mutants 65
  • *Captain America 346
  • *Uncanny X-Men 225
  • *New Mutants 78
  • Uncanny X-Men 255

* EDIT: I missed these on my first pass. I may have finally found them all, although odds are good there's a tiny Mystique in the back, like on Cap 346, in some issue I didn't snag.

There are a lot more in the 90s -- including Sabretooth 2, X-Men Unlimited 4, and... I'm not even going to try to find them all.

I think her first solo cover is X-Factor 108, followed by X-Factor 127 (oof, I do not like this cover), and X-Factor 130. Don't take that as gospel, though!

Edited by Qalyar

On 11/1/2022 at 12:52 PM, Qalyar said:

For a character that has made as big an impact as she did, it sure took awhile for Mystique to get a cover appearance that isn't, as you said, "busy". Frankly, it's sort of surprising how often she's a major factor in an issue but doesn't get cover space at all.

I think that Mystique is simply one of those characters who is difficult to sell on the cover alone. The most interesting look would probably be a shot of her transitioning into another character.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that Mystique is simply one of those characters who is difficult to sell on the cover alone. The most interesting look would probably be a shot of her transitioning into another character.

I think X-Men Adventures 14 is the first cover that canonically depicts Mystique in a form other than Mystique's natural one.

Also, apparently by the mid-90s, even Marvel concluded that Mystique-centric stories should actually have the character on the cover, because when they reprinted Uncanny X-Men 177 as X-Men Classic 81, JRJR gave it a new cover to do just that.

On 11/2/2022 at 2:43 PM, speedcake said:

i can't tell what's going on with Mystique's shoulders on that Sabretooth #2 cover. 

She's make a great second row in a rugby union team.