• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9 posts in this topic

I loved reading my comics when I was a kid, could not wait for my monthly subscription’s either newsstand or from my comic book dealer, . So I made a catalog of my comics, and I have about 30 or so I think I want to send in to get graded but I’m unsure if the ones that I picked are the best ones to present. Basically like all amateur collectors who want to sell their collection I thought I had a gold mine lol. Now most of the double issues are from newsstand  and their counter part from the comic book store. I have a pdf of pretty much all of them my daughter helped me and it’s not exactly how I wanted it but Meah also some of the comics are not listed. I would greatly appreciate it if you more experienced pros can take a look and give me any advice on which ones to send before I purchase a package or upgrade my membership. Thank you attaching the pdf. Andrew.If you have any questions please let me know.THX

0A66A3FC-7677-4D98-BDC8-898ACB9F72E5.png

BE0F2E5E-03FF-4AAB-898A-3ED7192F2C9F.png

BB6F047D-B6E0-4520-864C-453609BFA5F6.png

26B09018-2FB4-48F1-B679-804FC0016288.png

BDE298F5-04FD-49D8-889B-698FF4AC9E17.png

05A3A863-306E-4F54-AEDB-188CE30896D6.png

BAEF47C1-BFFE-4849-BA34-F1514018B33D.png

AB4858CE-0D44-43E5-B3B9-31D24F996E03.png

EFA90F18-B8AC-4A84-BBE8-DF05A19F143E.png

335AB4EB-A94A-4395-8ACB-460D12EC798D.png

6BBFB0B6-D8F6-4B85-AE95-8D0CA5B5D6D2.png

2574C88B-CFD4-4987-AF7F-6F2ECFF862FB.png

The grade matters a lot, it would be nearly impossible for anyone to make a proper recommendation without knowing the grade.

Small differences in the condition can have huge impacts on the value.

Not only that, but the financial (and other) criteria  for submission are different and subjective for every person.

I would suggest looking up sold values on eBay of graded and raw comics, and do a comparison analysis including the costs of submission.  

then if it’s worth it to you based on your own criteria, submit.

I'm not an expert in moderns, but nothing really jumped out as being a no brainer.  

Grade is of course, important. And with the cost of grading, I don't see allot of opportunities. 

Wolverine 1, Xmen4 and SS50 may be "worth it" if they can realistically get a 9.8.  you can post pictures in the spare a grade section here for advice. 

You have already been given some good advice and I would like to add to that.  30 books is a huge investment for a first time submission, especially if you do not have prior grading experience with how CGC grades. Being that this is your personal, childhood collection I am going to greatly assume none of them will be 9.8s (even if you were sure that you only read it once and didn't damage it).

You have a lot of books that would sell in the $100-$150 range if they were 9.8, but barely worth grading fees at 9.6 or under. This also doesn't take into account shipping, selling fees when you do sell them, and just how long it is going to take CGC to return your books (likely 10+ months). A $100 book quickly becomes only a $15 net profit when you could have sold the book raw for slightly more.

My advice is to start very small, select five books, inspect them, denote any flaws, and then assign a grade. Send these five books to CGC and when you see the grades (and hopefully notes) compare them to what you saw and expected. Then decide if it is worth the investment to send everything else you wanted to originally send.

My assumption is your going to receive a lot of 8.0, 8.5, 9.0's and considerable heartbreak with some remorse for wasting money with the occasional choice word for CGC.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, DougC said:

You have already been given some good advice and I would like to add to that.  30 books is a huge investment for a first time submission, especially if you do not have prior grading experience with how CGC grades. Being that this is your personal, childhood collection I am going to greatly assume none of them will be 9.8s (even if you were sure that you only read it once and didn't damage it).

You have a lot of books that would sell in the $100-$150 range if they were 9.8, but barely worth grading fees at 9.6 or under. This also doesn't take into account shipping, selling fees when you do sell them, and just how long it is going to take CGC to return your books (likely 10+ months). A $100 book quickly becomes only a $15 net profit when you could have sold the book raw for slightly more.

My advice is to start very small, select five books, inspect them, denote any flaws, and then assign a grade. Send these five books to CGC and when you see the grades (and hopefully notes) compare them to what you saw and expected. Then decide if it is worth the investment to send everything else you wanted to originally send.

My assumption is your going to receive a lot of 8.0, 8.5, 9.0's and considerable heartbreak with some remorse for wasting money with the occasional choice word for CGC.

Excellent advice. I picked 5 of my childhood books and 3 graded out great (luck) and two failed miserably with 7.5's on books I of course incorrectly assumed I was getting 9.2s on. Not sending 25 the first go really helped me understand how this works and saved me from wasting a bunch of money.

As a few others have said, the vast majority of your collection is not worth grading unless they come back as 9.8's, which is highly unlikely. Much too expensive and risky for a novice. Start with your two most valuable books...the New Mutants 98...and the Secret Wars 8. Grade them strictly yourself (google CGC-graded copies in whatever grade you think they are and compare CRITICALLY to yours) and then see how you do when they come back from CGC. It's very likely you will end up with far lower grades than you expected but you'll at least be able to recoup your grading costs (remember to factor in insured shipping both ways and grading fees) and be a bit closer to understanding CGC standards. I recommend buying the new CGC grading guide (or the Overstreet Grading Guide) and really study and compare the photos to your books to help you become more familiar with grading. Good luck!