• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been a while since I've been scammed on ebay.....
1 1

63 posts in this topic

eBay allows a lot of illegal activity on their site and allow people to break to rules regular and do nothing if items get reported.  How often do you see spam posting of “CGC” for non-CGC books?  It is easy to filter out at least art of these but EBay doesn’t really care.  Even big name companies reporting counterfeit products run in to roadblocks for getting items removed and sellers banned.  

On 11/15/2022 at 9:59 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm sorry for laughing, but this is f**king hilarious since it wasn't at my expense. I really hope you got a laugh out of how ridiculous those slabs are.

I definitely wasn't laughing. When I pulled them from the box and looked at them I knew right away they were fake labels so I was a little confused and dismayed.

At first I had a thought that I had somehow missed seeing they were fake in the ebay listing, so I immediately ran to my computer and pulled up the auction to see that.... sure enough, the auction photos showed real CGC labels.

1 minute later I was on the phone to ebay.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:19 PM, gadzukes said:

I definitely wasn't laughing. When I pulled them from the box and looked at them I knew right away they were fake labels so I was a little confused and dismayed.

At first I had a thought that I had somehow missed seeing they were fake in the ebay listing, so I immediately ran to my computer and pulled up the auction to see that.... sure enough, the auction photos showed real CGC labels.

And after that you phoned the scumbag, right?

On 11/15/2022 at 4:19 PM, gadzukes said:

Hopefully, one day, you see the humor in it. I empathize that it would be a serious matter at first, before everything is resolved. The slabs just look so ridiculous.

Sorry, but I think I got you beat in every way. This isn't even the right label for the comic. 🤣 It's in a top loader, upside down, then put into a wall hanging display case you would find in an office building with a fire escape route or building layout in it! I think the label is actually legit, and the funny thing is the book is a 9.8 all day long🤣🤣🤣 it's so ridiculous that it's almost worth the $45 I spent for it🤣🤣. Now back to why I signed up here - to get this and some others graded for real.....

20221116_083716.jpg

On 11/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

You can find it under ebay sold, if you look. There is a clue in the sellers name...

FakerMcCrackySlab?

On 11/17/2022 at 5:05 AM, Dr. Balls said:

FakerMcCrackySlab?

Alwaysgonnaripyouoff, Alwaysgonnaletyoudown, Alwaysgonnarunyouround, WillDesertyou. 

On 11/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, WAWYA said:

Did anyone send him a link to this thread?

There was a troll here last night admonishing Gadzukes. Can't help but wonder if.... 

Or it might have just been Stu. Either or. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Sorry that you had to go through with this farago but thanks for posting.  I would have noticed the book/grade discrepancy, the fake labels and the broken chips on the slab bottoms, but I think I might have gotten careless when noting if a return label was from eBay or not.  I also would have had no clue how to actually contact a live eBay rep.

A question (which will make me seem a little dense but I'll go with it anyway):  We're assuming McScammer doesn't have the books pictured in the original ad?  That he somehow broke open some other book slabs and inserted his drek, right?  Because if he really had the books pictured, broke open those slabs, kept the books for himself, then substituted his trash... why go through the bother of printing labels, rather why not just use the original ones instead?  It would have been one more unique flair to sell the scam (though everything else wouldn't seem right) and to the untrained eBay reps it might have made things harder to explain. 

I think he kept the original authentic labels to resubmit probably with the correct books.. is my guess on why he kept the labels and printed fake ones.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:46 PM, WAWYA said:

You obviously don't know Stu lol he trolls the trolls, not this kind of stuff (thumbsu

I was just joking with the Stu comment. :)

My fake labels. I just use these for display purposes (you can see I call it Non-CGC Universal Grade and all zeros for the serial number). I have these so I can display raws with slabs on my shelves - since a lot of my low-grade beaters aren't worth the bother of sending in for grading. Easy enough to make if you have Illustrator and a working knowledge of mainstream typefaces.

IMG_0422.thumb.JPG.4520cd36e36c627356b2d6d429614ad6.JPG.5e2ca993b47989aefb47ca511b2b5696.JPG

On 11/17/2022 at 12:22 PM, RupturedMarvel said:

I was kinda hoping for some contenders to my Hibid auction trophy of Clone #1, but I suppose I'll accept the title with the same closing as Achilles, "is there no one else!? Is there no one else?!" I guess I'm the only geek dumb enough to bid on Hibid auctions. 🙄

Yeah, I think the Groot label in the top loader may be the worst... Back in about 2005 or 2006 I bought an odd slab on ebay for super cheap.  I think it was a Jimmy Olson 134 in 6.0, but turned out to be in only the inner well of a CGG (predecessor to PGX).  Got it reslabbed and sold off, I think it even held the grade.

I also had someone on ebay demand a refund for a Darkhawk 2 in 9.6 because they said it was a fake, "label looks nothing like a real CGC label." Well, it was a real CGC label in a real CGC slab, it was just the previous style with the page quality in the center instead of under the grade.  I guess I got scammed because I lost the cost of shipping.  Sold it again later though. 

So this is the guy?

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/mtpocket505?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560

He has an "acceptable" Conan 174 that can be yours for only $24000. Ironically it's not even 174 in the photo. Not sure what type of idiotic scam he is pulling on this one. Why hasn't ebay shut this clown down?

image.thumb.png.f77cc7a274966727ab2cce87781ef20e.png

Edited by mephistopheles

On 11/17/2022 at 4:07 PM, mephistopheles said:

So this is the guy?

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/mtpocket505?filter=feedback_page:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560

He has an "acceptable" Conan 174 that can be yours for only $24000. Ironically it's not even 174 in the photo. Not sure what type of idiotic scam he is pulling on this one. Why hasn't ebay shut this clown down?

image.thumb.png.f77cc7a274966727ab2cce87781ef20e.png

I quote the item description - "conan the barbarian #174. Needs no introduction or description."

I'm going to beg to differ.