• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTube video about MyComicShop and ComicLink
9 9

237 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2022 at 5:43 PM, ThothAmon said:

Watched 20 minutes waiting for the apology to MCS. Didn’t happen. Nadsat. 

It's a good follow up video. Sounds like he had a discussion with MCS. He does admit he made a mistake by assuming it was an auction. Regardless, I agree with his conclusion that this uncovered a problem with how sales data from MCS is being reported (with payment plans). This definitely has to be fixed because it's extremely misleading when looking at sold prices. Hopefully GPA can chime in to let us know if they were aware that 6 month old prices are being reported as recent sales. 

On 11/23/2022 at 5:25 PM, ak47po said:

Follow up video..

The first thing he should have said was that he wrongly accused two reputable auction houses of collusion and was WRONG. 

In fact, this should be the title of the video. 

Instead, he goes into the smoke screen first and slips in a small apology somewhere. The rest is just a discussion about GPA reporting. 

On 11/23/2022 at 5:10 PM, Flanders82 said:

I kind of feel sorry for this guy. He's still young and has already burned so many bridges with his idiotic videos.

He comes from a family with a very long history in the hobby. His dad is a well known dealer and a comics restoration expert, as is his uncle. 

He should know better so I wouldn't feel too bad. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/23/2022 at 9:39 PM, VintageComics said:

Not worth listening to. This follow up speaks volumes about the dude. 

The first thing he should have said was that he wrongly accused two reputable auction houses of collusion and was WRONG. 

In fact, this should be the title of the video. 

Instead, he goes into the smoke screen first and slips in a small apology somewhere. 

He comes from a family with a very long history in the hobby. His dad is a well known dealer and a comics restoration expert, as is his uncle. 

He should know better so I wouldn't feel too bad. 

He made a mistake, spoke to MCS, then made a follow-up correcting those mistakes. He could've done better, but at least he did something. 

It's not easy to admit when you're wrong, especially in a public manner/on the internet, and many people who find themselves in similar situations don't do even the bare minimum to set the record straight. I would cut him a break.

On 11/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, COI said:

He made a mistake, spoke to MCS, then made a follow-up correcting those mistakes. He could've done better, but at least he did something. 

It's not easy to admit when you're wrong, especially in a public manner/on the internet, and many people who find themselves in similar situations don't do even the bare minimum to set the record straight. I would cut him a break.

You're one of those 'too nice' Canadians. You're almost obsolete now. The times, they are a changin' lol

I disagree. He spent an entire video smearing reputable names. The first thing out of anyone's mouth should have been a profuse "I'm sorry - I was wrong".

That would make the world a better place. 

On 11/23/2022 at 9:58 PM, VintageComics said:

You're one of those 'too nice' Canadians. You're almost obsolete now. The times, they are a changin' lol

I disagree. He spent an entire video smearing reputable names. The first thing out of anyone's mouth should have been a profuse "I'm sorry - I was wrong".

That would make the world a better place. 

I don't get accused of being "too nice" very often. On the internet or in real life. lol

You've never jumped the gun and made a bunch of assumptions? It happens all the time, everywhere, especially on the internet. Most people have a hard time admitting they're wrong, and many people even go the other way and double-down into their stupidity. No real damage was done here. He only really owes an apology to MCS and C-Link, and maybe he did apologize to whoever he spoke to over there. 

Not totally writing people off for making a mistake might also make the world a better place. One of the reasons people rarely apologize on the internet is that it tends to be a no-win strategy. People don't really want apologies, what they like is the pile-on.  

On 11/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, COI said:

I don't get accused of being "too nice" very often. On the internet or in real life. lol

You've never jumped the gun and made a bunch of assumptions? It happens all the time, everywhere, especially on the internet. Most people have a hard time admitting they're wrong, and many people even go the other way and double-down into their stupidity. No real damage was done here. He only really owes an apology to MCS and C-Link, and maybe he did apologize to whoever he spoke to over there. 

Not totally writing people off for making a mistake might also make the world a better place. One of the reasons people rarely apologize on the internet is that it tends to be a no-win strategy. People don't really want apologies, what they like is the pile-on.  

I definitely don't want this discussion to turn into an intense internet battle so I'll keep it short.

I'm always wrong. Especially with 100K posts. I'm human. And when I'm wrong I say I'm sorry first. 

When you accuse a large, well known business of fraud that's a huge thing. The size of the apology should be proportional to the size of the mistake. Aren't you in law? :wink:

If you apologize and admit you're wrong, there's nothing to pile on about. It's over.

And the few that do pile on after someone apologizes are obviously bad apples to everyone.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, COI said:

Keep in mind.....he's the same guy that appeared in the ridiculous Karl Jobst game conspiracy video.  In it, he made accusations against people/companies in the collectible video game market based on his "feelings" and "supposed" thirdhand knowledge from the comics industry.

Here's that video queued up to his portion below.

I'm not suggesting he's a bad person, and everyone does make mistakes.....but he probably needs to realize he's not Sherlock Holmes.....then he probably just needs to STFU when it comes to accusing others.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 11/24/2022 at 2:27 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Keep in mind.....he's the same guy that appeared in the ridiculous Karl Jobst game conspiracy video.  In it, he made accusations against people/companies in the collectible video game market based on his "feelings" and "supposed" thirdhand knowledge from the comics industry.

Here's that video queued up to his portion below.

I'm not suggesting he's a bad person, and everyone does make mistakes......but he probably needs to realize he's not Sherlock Holmes.....then he probably just needs to STFU when it comes to accusing others.

Fair enough, and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how they should feel about the guy.

Most people suck at letting the evidence guide them to the conclusion; the conclusion is decided beforehand, and evidence is used selectively to support that preexisting view. People who make content have an incentive to push narratives they know will resonate with their audience, and people sure do love conspiracies, especially involving large companies. So it can be very tempting and rewarding to skip a few steps in the chain of reasoning. People are still posting that original Karl Jobst video, despite the errors you, and I and others have pointed out, because the narrative resonates with certain people. That's why it went viral. It's hard to get at the truth, but it's easy to come up with a theory that sounds plausible.

At the same time, I try not to dismiss someone completely just because their reasoning is wrong. I think there's a big difference between being wrong in good faith, and intentional deception. I try to save my ire for the more deceptive types, and I don't get that vibe from this guy.

Edited by COI

His video exposed a big problem. MCS is reporting sales 6+ months after they actually occurred (due to payment plans) yet those sales are being reported as recent sales. They may not have been intentionally trying to deceive but it certainly is misleading. Really need GPA to speak up to explain if they were aware.

On 11/24/2022 at 10:20 AM, Motor City Rob said:

His video exposed a big problem. MCS is reporting sales 6+ months after they actually occurred (due to payment plans) yet those sales are being reported as recent sales. They may not have been intentionally trying to deceive but it certainly is misleading. Really need GPA to speak up to explain if they were aware.

Not really sure why My Comic Shop is the problem.  My database records the sale the day of.  Doesn't matter when it is paid for.  If GPA and I came to a agreement for me to give my sales (Status = sold which isn't set until the book has been paid for) in a data extract the sale date of the book would be in the extract,  not the payment date.  

Edited by blazingbob

On 11/23/2022 at 4:51 PM, Motor City Rob said:

It's a good follow up video. Sounds like he had a discussion with MCS. He does admit he made a mistake by assuming it was an auction. Regardless, I agree with his conclusion that this uncovered a problem with how sales data from MCS is being reported (with payment plans). This definitely has to be fixed because it's extremely misleading when looking at sold prices. Hopefully GPA can chime in to let us know if they were aware that 6 month old prices are being reported as recent sales. 

I must have missed the part where he apologized for saying it takes weeks for MCS to ship.  As that was the foundation for his whole rant, any followup done without correcting this is useless.  It was a hatchet piece done by somebody who should have none better.  Seems like the apple hasn't rolled far from the tree. 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:23 AM, Dr. Balls said:

The idea that someone bought a $100+k book, pays a commission on it's future sale for the outside chance of making less than 1-2% based on previous sales after the amount risked does not seem believable to me - the person buying this book is not a collector, but an investor, who has a different mindset. Sure, there are dummies out there left and right, but I am wary to think someone with $100k to blow wouldn't do some sales research to at least give him some idea that he's buying near the top and his flip margin is razor thin, even worse since he's not holding for awhile.

I think something else is going on - what that is, I have no clue. I'm not going to elaborate or speculate.

This seems the most likely story.

To me, the vid is a result of a guy who has no idea how how either Clink or MCS works.  He's misleading people, plain and simple.

Feels like MCS shipping date equals Sold date was a database decision made to easily isolate all items ready for shipping.  MCS shoes their internal ship tracking stats.  If you can do a simple search for Paid and omissions all shipped items, your shipping department knows exact,y which items to box and send off.

of course, had they been aware that their time payment sales were messing with GpA, they would have changed that or used a workaround to use the date the buyer committed to the sale.  Maybe MCS can run all their sales again with the commit date in such a way that GPA can import the data to update just the “sold dates”. 

On 11/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, Vince G said:

To me, the vid is a result of a guy who has no idea how how either Clink or MCS works.  He's misleading people, plain and simple.

The issue here is the lagged recorded sale of a volatile book six months after purchase. The vast majority of people looking at GPA will not be aware of the specifics of the sale, as detailed by mycomicshop. Therefore GPA and mycomicshop are both misleading most people looking at the numbers since people can point to this sale as happening now and say that's what it's worth all of a sudden. So FMV of AF15 just jumped up. But it really didn't - it just did according to this misleading recorded sale.

Edited by Phill the Governor

On 11/24/2022 at 9:20 AM, Vince G said:

I agree - there is a lot of that, as well. It's a weird, weird world out there - trying to find reasoning in what people are doing is becoming impossible.

On 11/23/2022 at 9:57 PM, VintageComics said:

I definitely don't want this discussion to turn into an intense internet battle so I'll keep it short.

I'm always wrong. Especially with 100K posts. I'm human. And when I'm wrong I say I'm sorry first. 

When you accuse a large, well known business of fraud that's a huge thing. The size of the apology should be proportional to the size of the mistake. Aren't you in law? :wink:

If you apologize and admit you're wrong, there's nothing to pile on about. It's over.

And the few that do pile on after someone apologizes are obviously bad apples to everyone.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

I agree you better have proof when you attack a company's good name or person for that matter. 
Everyone knows what happens when you assume right? U make an :censored: out of u and me.