• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Light Canvassing Questions
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I was recently returned a SS scored an 8.5. I was certain it was a NM copy. Grader notes were "light spine stress and light canvassing". I elected not to press on submission because to my eye there were no pressable flaws. I did note minor stress to the lower spine and was not expecting 9.8, but 8.5 was a surprise (shock actually). 

Questions are: Does anyone have a good definition of "light canvassing"? Would light canvassing be corrected with a CCS press? Is this something I should have noticed?

I believe this gets a 2+ score bump if the answer is yes to pressing. If no, I will be happy with my 8.5 because it's probably the most beautiful 8.5 copy in the census. /s - Whether I would choose to re-submit after such strict grading on a 50 year old book is another question. Especially with the SS expense that went into the submission to begin with.

Thanks in advance.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, thehumantorch said:

Canvassing?  Do you mean creasing?

I think canvassing means multiple dimples on covers that were not pressed out. Not defined in Overstreet so better pony-up to buy the definitions in 'How to Grade like CGC' official book for X-mas?

On 12/21/2022 at 11:53 AM, aardvark88 said:

I think canvassing means multiple dimples on covers that were not pressed out. Not defined in Overstreet so better pony-up to buy the definitions in 'How to Grade like CGC' official book for X-mas?

hm hadn't heard this grading term before 

From KaptainMyke

"CANVASING Fine tiny square gridlike patterns across surface of book cover. This is caused by using too much pressure and/or re-using teflon paper sheets."

Thank you for the detailed responses and pictures. I’m not seeing the pattern here, but there is light surface stress to the one corner. I could possibly benefit from a proper press is what I’m taking from this. Assuming CCS would need to perform it as it requires a case crack on a SS book?