• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical error turnaround time
5 5

127 posts in this topic

Take your pick. Which one is Wizard #7?

Both. The answer is both. One of them just happens to be a newsstand edition. 

This information was given on the original invoice. Now here we are , sending it back for (ME).

Screenshot_20221105-111300_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211206-085957_Gallery.jpg

The direct edition is a Barry Windsor-Smith cover of Valiants X-O Manowar. 

The newsstand edition is a Bart Sears cover of DCs  Flash.

Both labels read "Barry Windsor-Smith cover " , with no mention of the newsstand status. 

Git it now?

On 1/8/2023 at 5:00 PM, ASSA9 said:

The direct edition is a Barry Windsor-Smith cover of Valiants X-O Manowar. 

The newsstand edition is a Bart Sears cover of DCs  Flash.

Both labels read "Barry Windsor-Smith cover " , with no mention of the newsstand status. 

Git it now?

I've very rarely seen CGC notate a newsstand version on the label even when it's noted on the submission form. 

My ME (a simple label error) received by CGC 11/15 as of this morning has moved to Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging. So, hopefully not much longer now.

On 12/22/2022 at 4:28 PM, troy.division said:

My recently submitted (and CLEARLY labeled) Mechanical Error took 11 business days to be marked as received after it was delivered.
It has been 'Scheduled for Grading' for 26 business days.
CGC has had the book to correct their error regarding a label for 37 business days and counting...

Shipped                        11/1
Delivered                      11/2 (1 business day later / 1 day total)
Scheduled for Grading 11/17 (11 business days later / 12 days total)

Some claims were made by @CGC Mike that Mechanical Errors were expedited, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.
(see below link to a post yesterday with slow track modern with 12 business day turnaround)

Also, check out this thread.

On 12/29/2022 at 4:40 PM, VintageComics said:

They're behind on everything. I've had Walk Throughs, which used to be in and out in 2 days take up to a week just to get entered into the system and up to two weeks before they're shipped out.  

My walkthrough was submitted back in September. Got it rather quickly but the label was wrong. Resubmitted for ME and now my so called walkthrough has been gone since October. They received on 11/07 and had been “Scheduled for grading” since. I was told to search for ME turnaround time and it has brought me to this forum. A walkthrough has been gone for more than a quarter of a year due to their quality control issues. 

On 1/16/2023 at 5:14 PM, Ronperez said:
On 12/29/2022 at 4:40 PM, VintageComics said:

They're behind on everything. I've had Walk Throughs, which used to be in and out in 2 days take up to a week just to get entered into the system and up to two weeks before they're shipped out.  

My walkthrough was submitted back in September. Got it rather quickly but the label was wrong. Resubmitted for ME and now my so called walkthrough has been gone since October. They received on 11/07 and had been “Scheduled for grading” since. I was told to search for ME turnaround time and it has brought me to this forum. A walkthrough has been gone for more than a quarter of a year due to their quality control issues. 

I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks. 

Suggestion for CGC: When opening up ME's, identify any that are Walk Through or Express and get those processed and shipped back out within a week, or less from when they are opened. Writing WME or EME on the box could help CGC flag any such ME's for faster processing, but that could put such packages at a great risk of theft during transit.  Others with lower tier books (as is my current situation) might not like other ME's being pushed ahead of their books, but it seems like the fair thing to do, and hopefully there aren't that many Walk Through and Express ME's that it wouldn't slow down other ME's that much more. 2c

I’m glad I found this thread. I’m relatively new to submissions to CGC but was so bummed that a lot of my books were incorrectly labeled.

I had a CGC witness at Baltimore Comic-Con witness Jim Starlin signing my Batman #423 and then immediately handed it to them for submission to the Todd McFarlane signing. It came back with “signature in marker on cover” on the label saying they didn’t know whose it was. Thankfully customer support worked through it and found the witness chip but was so shocked I had to go through that.

Also had to submit two other comics because the wrong variant was written on the label. Comics were all just delivered today so, based what all of you are saying: I should have them back by April hopefully lol

On 1/16/2023 at 5:14 PM, Ronperez said:

Let me guess, out of the kindness of their heart, they refunded the WT cost.

Today, exactly two months after it was marked "received", my ME has been changed to "shipped". NOW the real concern begins: 1. Will they have actually fixed the label? 2. Will there be any NEW defects such as a scuffed case? 3. Will FedEx actually deliver the book?

Stay tuned!

So my single modern book ME was received by CGC on 12/15/22 and has been stuck at "Scheduled for Grading" status pretty much since then.

My 25 book pre-screen modern submission on the other hand was received 01/12/23 and is already at G/E/I.

Hmmmm.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:17 PM, kalanye said:

So my single modern book ME was received by CGC on 12/15/22 and has been stuck at "Scheduled for Grading" status pretty much since then.

My 25 book pre-screen modern submission on the other hand was received 01/12/23 and is already at G/E/I.

Hmmmm.

At least this tells us where CGC's priorities lie.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:28 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Quick question....

Is "scheduled for grading" normal for a simple case replacement?

m.e..thumb.jpg.68572c245ec7c5a63eb83fb3f96e887b.jpg

Simple answer? Yes afaik

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

So, FedEx attempted delivery today, and I am pretty much never at home when FedEx comes, so I assumed I'd be able to redirect delivery to my local FedEx location. BUT, it won't let me do that, saying that the shipper won't allow it. So...what do I do? I know that there was a hubbub when CGC announced they were exclusively switching to FedEx, but I haven't subbed anything for a couple of years, so I didn't realize that also meant that they wouldn't even let you redirect the books.

I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point. I will surely miss their delivery tomorrow, so that means I'll have to sit by the door all day Saturday. I really, truly hate FedEx. I had a ComicLink shipment right before xmas, and while they let me hold one package at a Walgreens, they wouldn't release the other one for some reason. So, I had to sit and wait, and on the third day, I watched out the window as the FedEx truck pulled up to my house...opened the door...then shut the door and took off. Didn't even pretend to attempt delivery. And this happens ALL OF THE TIME. So, I ran out on the porch and when he turned around I flagged him down. Again...I hate FedEx.

So...does anyone know, do I have any options here, or do I just have to pray that FedEx actually tries to deliver the package while I'm there waiting for it? 

On 1/19/2023 at 10:37 AM, F For Fake said:

So, FedEx attempted delivery today, and I am pretty much never at home when FedEx comes, so I assumed I'd be able to redirect delivery to my local FedEx location. BUT, it won't let me do that, saying that the shipper won't allow it. So...what do I do? I know that there was a hubbub when CGC announced they were exclusively switching to FedEx, but I haven't subbed anything for a couple of years, so I didn't realize that also meant that they wouldn't even let you redirect the books.

I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point. I will surely miss their delivery tomorrow, so that means I'll have to sit by the door all day Saturday. I really, truly hate FedEx. I had a ComicLink shipment right before xmas, and while they let me hold one package at a Walgreens, they wouldn't release the other one for some reason. So, I had to sit and wait, and on the third day, I watched out the window as the FedEx truck pulled up to my house...opened the door...then shut the door and took off. Didn't even pretend to attempt delivery. And this happens ALL OF THE TIME. So, I ran out on the porch and when he turned around I flagged him down. Again...I hate FedEx.

So...does anyone know, do I have any options here, or do I just have to pray that FedEx actually tries to deliver the package while I'm there waiting for it? 

This worked for me when I ran into the same situation.  I was able to get the phone number of the local FedEx hub and called them.  Like you, I asked what my options were.  I spoke to a manager and he said my only other option was to ask them to hold it at their facility and I could come pick it up myself.  Which I did seeing as how my local hub is only a few miles from me.  Yes, another hoop to jump through but it got the job done.  Good luck.