• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPAWN! A look back at an award-winning collection of graded slabs.
10 10

817 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2023 at 5:48 AM, LadyDeath said:

:whatthe:

Capture.JPG

Back in the day, I would have tripped over my own feet on the way to my wallet for that one. I know first hand how tough that book is.  

SPAWN 38 - CGC 9.8 

Another key issue and another first appearance by a major character. Cy-gor! 

A cybernetic gorilla? How cool is that? :grin:

edited Spawn 38 F.jpg

This is an amazing collection! I haven't posted much in recent years, but I have lurked the modern forum often looking for Spawn threads. Glad to have found this one!

I have a similar journey as a Spawn collector as you talk about age and collecting when I was younger. I have always been proud of my collection as well, but this is simply amazing in comparison! I think I stopped in college for a number of years for similar reasons. Other interests but also lack of funding. I held on until issue 100 or so then stopped until maybe issue 185 then went on a quest to backfill?

I remember being super excited about the movie and being extremely let down (and even slightly embarrassed) when I insisted all of my friends go to see it because it was going to be amazing! The HBO series was far better in my opinion. I do hold hope they make something again one day, but have low hopes of quality.

Issue 15 stands out to me and is only one of the earlier books I got graded. I remember there being some sort of mail away deal for a signed copy, so I got my subscription issue from my LCS and either mailed away for the signed copy through him or did it myself. I can't remember, but I was so excited to get MacFarlane's sig on a Spawn book! I had it graded last year (because why not) and it got a qualified 9.8 which was unexpected. It's qualified, but still meaningful to me. I stopped collecting the title in recent years, but was active during the variant cover run and have most of those in 9.8 which is cool.

Thanks for putting this together!! I am going to eagerly await updates as you share your journey!

Edited by zuulioso
grammar

On 2/3/2023 at 7:49 AM, zuulioso said:

The HBO series was far better in my opinion. I do hold hope they make something again one day, but have low hopes of quality.

They nailed that in terms of presentation. Perfect, dark oppressive atmosphere. Keith David is unbeatable as Spawn.

SPAWN 39 - CGC 9.8 

HO HO HOOOO! 

I absolutely love a well-done holiday cover! 

edited Spawn 39 F.jpg

SPAWN 40 - CGC 9.8 

Tony Daniel and Kevin Conrad doing their thing with Spawn. I'll have another signature series coming up soon. 

EDITED Spawn 40 F.jpg

SPAWN 42 - CGC 9.8 - SIGNED BY KEVIN CONRAD 

How many Kevin Conrad SS books have you seen? Not many? 

I actually had two graded copies of 42 - one was a universal and the other is the signature series book you see here. That was a little trick of mine. I'd find two minty fresh copies. I'd keep one in a blue holder and I'd send the other off for signing. Because I had two graded copies at 9.8, I rarely suffered the anguish of having a signed book come back as a lower grade. Even if it did come back lower, I still had the 9.8 blue to stand in for the registry set. 

This is a cool book with a super cool signature. I wish I had kept all of my crazy signature books. This was one of them. 

I tried to land a Tony Daniel sig. Was going to try for a double sig on this book, but I was never able to make it happen. 

Edited Spawn 42 SS F.jpg

Edited by newshane

On 1/29/2023 at 1:17 PM, RickSp said:

This is a great thread to pop in on. Never collected Spawn before until just now picking up those Origin Deluxe slipcase sets. I can totally see why these single issues would fly off the shelf each month, you’d collect them just as a cover gallery.

One other fun thing about Spawn is that it was cheaper than other comics too... holding a less than $2 price point long after the industry had blown past $4 per issue 

SPAWN 44 - CGC 9.8 

That's definitely not a subscription crease you see running down the middle. Dirty scanner or software issue. 

Edited Spawn 44 F.jpg

Edited by newshane

This is, by far, my favorite thread in the CGC forums. 👏

I started collecting Spawn as a kid when the series first launched since I was a Todd McFarlane fan from his Spidey and Venom days. Bought every Spawn issue until early 100's and I would reread these comics frequntly over the years because I really enjoy the art AND the story (can't say the same for other Image comic titles back in the day). Only stopped collecting when I went off to college and found other interests (girls!). Looking back, I should have stay focused on Spawn 😂 wah wah

Fast forward nearly 3 decades later, with my comic book boxes collecting dust in my parents' home, I heard about a thing called CGC and decided to buy a few slabs of some awesome Spawn covers and getting overtly excited discovering Scorched and Gunslinger. My goodness, the Spawn universe has leveled up exponentially since I last collected. Since June 2022, I'm now on a mission to not only pursue every Spawn issue, but slab them too. I've transported all my comics from my parents' place to my own and only slabbed a few precious ones from my personal collection so far (just upgraded to Elite this year to make this a bit more economical) but have been dancing with joy to recently get back Spawn 1 and Spawn 77 back as 9.8 grades. I don't have the golden standard quality standards like your original collection (for now hah), but this resurrected, evolved, and EXPENSIVE hobby has been so much fun. I have 223 of the 337 Spawn Series issues as of today... just gotta keep on swimming.... err, collecting lol 

I'm learning so much from your reflections on each comic - keep them coming and I will be visiting very frequently! 😍

On 2/9/2023 at 4:33 PM, Mewie said:

This is, by far, my favorite thread in the CGC forums. 👏

I started collecting Spawn as a kid when the series first launched since I was a Todd McFarlane fan from his Spidey and Venom days. Bought every Spawn issue until early 100's and I would reread these comics frequntly over the years because I really enjoy the art AND the story (can't say the same for other Image comic titles back in the day). Only stopped collecting when I went off to college and found other interests (girls!). Looking back, I should have stay focused on Spawn 😂 wah wah

Fast forward nearly 3 decades later, with my comic book boxes collecting dust in my parents' home, I heard about a thing called CGC and decided to buy a few slabs of some awesome Spawn covers and getting overtly excited discovering Scorched and Gunslinger. My goodness, the Spawn universe has leveled up exponentially since I last collected. Since June 2022, I'm now on a mission to not only pursue every Spawn issue, but slab them too. I've transported all my comics from my parents' place to my own and only slabbed a few precious ones from my personal collection so far (just upgraded to Elite this year to make this a bit more economical) but have been dancing with joy to recently get back Spawn 1 and Spawn 77 back as 9.8 grades. I don't have the golden standard quality standards like your original collection (for now hah), but this resurrected, evolved, and EXPENSIVE hobby has been so much fun. I have 223 of the 337 Spawn Series issues as of today... just gotta keep on swimming.... err, collecting lol 

I'm learning so much from your reflections on each comic - keep them coming and I will be visiting very frequently! 😍

I am so very happy you found this thread, and I'm even happier that you are enjoying it so much! 

Keep hanging out! I'm going through every single issue of the regular series and much more!