• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else receive comics as gifts in front of people who don't get it?
4 4

49 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2022 at 7:35 AM, B2D327 said:
On 12/29/2022 at 7:00 AM, lizards2 said:

6a1d9d1a8192f00edf324f90facafdae.jpg

Expand  

Such an underrated show

Have you seen the two seasons of the original Australian version? Highly recommended!
For me, it kind of made the American version a bit of a chore to watch.

On 12/29/2022 at 10:55 AM, lizards2 said:

Have you seen the two seasons of the original Australian version? Highly recommended!

No but thanks for making me aware…gives me something to search for. Does it also go by “Wilfred”? 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:58 AM, B2D327 said:
On 12/29/2022 at 7:55 AM, lizards2 said:

No but thanks for making me aware…gives me something to search for. Does it also go by “Wilfred”? 

Yes - I ended up buying the DVD set off Amazon about 8 years ago. I don't know if it is offered in other, more modern formats. It looks readily available on eBay.

Just like many others posting on this thread we have all had a similar situation. Luckily for me my side of the family doesn’t care really they are more interested in having fun partying than having hobbies or what not so they never say anything.

My wife’s side family  who were raised by very strict parents some support it like the cool aunts and cousins but the one uncle who most don’t like or are afraid of him had one comment of like “of when are u going to give up this stuff” I replied it’s my childhood and his teenage daughter was wowed and was like dad this is so cool so he quickly didn’t say anything also probably cause he’s at my house and his daughter was super into.. but like others mentioned I think some who had to grow up earlier and become responsible tend to have comments like that. 

but other than that one time no one has bothered me but I keep my collecting to only a few people who appreciate it. It’s for my enjoyment and my wife’s so it’s all good lol. 

ignore the haters lol 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:56 AM, Buzzetta said:

If your relatives are giving you more of a disapproving look than the dog already is... then yeeesh... 

Yeah, Bentley's expression pretty much conveys the disapproving vibe of the gathering :bigsmile:  There were comments like "You wanted comics for Christmas? Weird," "You're still into those things?" My wife commented she wants to sell my collection to buy more jewellery one day

On 12/29/2022 at 9:51 PM, Poekaymon said:

Comics are nothing.  What takes some explaining are giant statues and things like the USS Flag.

If I ever get around to designing/building a cool display case, these will be proudly showcased in my home.  If you don’t appreciate Godzilla, you’re not really welcome in my house anyway...

A198979B-A9D1-47B1-85EA-DE4B099BB900.thumb.jpeg.3a3d2d516ec063647e6c1c01903b4b14.jpeg389A650E-3449-40E4-B912-37CC380152AE.thumb.jpeg.508648d68e1aca6cc6b533257de72405.jpeg

screw them haters. Fortunately I had a wife and mom and dad who encouraged this passion. Hell, my folks even helped me score a bag of 100 GA books from a gal who worked at the printing company back when I was about 12. Dad talked the gal into paying cover price for 'em :wink:. Of course this was probably 1983 or so