• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not including notes for a 9.2 graded book is ridiculous
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2023 at 4:09 PM, andrehanderson said:

Thanks! I definitely may have missed something internal, but externally I couldn't find a single flaw. I considered sending it for pressing, but in this case there just wasnt anything to press or clean--to my untrained eye. 

I should be receiving the book back tomorrow and I'll definitely post some scans. 

Untrained eye is a important concept here.  I can show a comic to a dozen people and they'll all think it looks perfect but to me the book has obvious flaws that keep it out of the mint range.  Grading accurately take practice and experience.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:05 PM, andrehanderson said:

No, I honestly couldn't see a reason to press. I'm likely going to send it off to a presser once I get it, and resubmit. :(

Grader notes would have made that an easier decision. 

oops, as @THE_BEYONDER has pointed out the polybag can imprint on the book and it will need a press to remove.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:48 AM, Jaylam said:

Remember the good 'ol days before CGC when if a Comic book shop or dealer had a book, it was Near-Mint-Mint, but if you had the same book trying to sell to them it was a Very-Good at best.

It's the same with ebay today.

The sellers think it's VF and the buyer think it's VG... :-( 

On 1/6/2023 at 11:21 AM, andrehanderson said:

The slab just arrived from CGC. flawless, imo. :)

If you look at the second image, it looks like a tick but it's actually part of the art--I'm 99% sure.

front_1.jpg

front_2.jpg

front_3.jpg

front_4.jpg

front_5.jpg

front_6.jpg

It's never easy grading an image of a book in a CGC case but I see what looks like a small spine tic left of Direct Edition on the barcode.  It looks like an easy 9.6.  As @THE_BEYONDER mentioned the seams of the polybag this comes in can imprint onto the cover and a press is needed.  Try looking at it under a strong light and/or with a loop and tilting it side to side to see if you can see faint lines from the polybag.

On 1/6/2023 at 1:21 PM, andrehanderson said:

If you look at the second image, it looks like a tick but it's actually part of the art--I'm 99% sure.

front_1.jpg

front_2.jpg

front_3.jpg

front_4.jpg

front_5.jpg

front_6.jpg

Can you take a crisper pic of the back cover spine? 

On 1/6/2023 at 2:12 PM, thehumantorch said:

It's never easy grading an image of a book in a CGC case but I see what looks like a small spine tic left of Direct Edition on the barcode.  It looks like an easy 9.6.  As @THE_BEYONDER mentioned the seams of the polybag this comes in can imprint onto the cover and a press is needed.  Try looking at it under a strong light and/or with a loop and tilting it side to side to see if you can see faint lines from the polybag.

I thought it was a tick too, but it's part of the artwork. I looked closely for any imprints and cant find a single imperfection.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:17 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Let's not forget that in the good old days (sigh...) there was really just NM when it came to the highest graded comics, since we must face the fact that nothing is truly mint. 

Everything above 9.0 is near mint, with some hair splitting and fine tuning to arrive at the now accepted 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 & grail 9.8 grades. For reasons to include some descriptive note with a graded comic, see post above.

:cheers:

On 1/6/2023 at 11:21 AM, andrehanderson said:

front_1.jpg

front_2.jpg

front_3.jpg

front_4.jpg

front_5.jpg

front_6.jpg

It's going to be the polybag crease.