• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AS Superman #1 - perfect!

65 posts in this topic

Although most of the basics are there, that's not the way I heard it.

Sorry, a friend told me the story. Guess he left out the part about it all happening in Grant's mind! foreheadslap.gif

Although, kinda sounds like it was real to him. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Where does it say it only happened in Grant's mind? He called it a "shamanistic moment" or something, and it sounded coincidental that he ran into the Superman guy, but he doesn't suggest that it was only a dream. confused.gif

Sorry, a friend told me the story. Guess he left out the part about it all happening in Grant's mind! foreheadslap.gif

Where does it say it only happened in Grant's mind? He called it a "shamanistic moment" or something, and it sounded coincidental that he ran into the Superman guy, but he doesn't suggest that it was only a dream. confused.gif

Remember Grant is a Chaos Magic practitioner. These guys are practically in a dream state all the time. Or is that peyote user. I get those 2 confused.

This part made it sound to me like he was in his hotel room the whole time, and conjured this conversation with Supes...

Later I was sitting in the hotel room and I was really seriously thinking, and I did this ritual. And I saw this guy wandering across the train tracks in a Superman suit! He looked perfect! He comes to the convention every year, you could probably even see him here. And he was just walking across the train tracks,

Finally got around to reading this book...I wasn't gonna buy it originally, but the earlier praise won me over. And I was underwhelmed by the book. Art is nice of course, but the story was choppy for me. I understand that Morrison was trying to tell a quick origin and then jump right in to the current plot, but, the jumping around within the story did nothing for me. Did supes save the kid/dog in the street?(the panel layout just didn't mesh for me).

Did supes save the kid/dog in the street?

From memory the basic panel progression went:

Clark in office> Supes Flying to save kid > Kid ALIVE but confused

So, yes.

That was actually one of my favorite moments in the book as it's a neat bit of storytelling in the way that it captures the lighting speed of "Superman time."

Remember Grant is a Chaos Magic practitioner. These guys are practically in a dream state all the time.

That stuff is bollocks. gossip.gif Peter Carroll is Cliff Notes for people too lazy to read Crowley, and Crowley is, among other things, cliff notes for John Dee and Agrippa. tongue.gif

Not to hijack this thread headlong into my insane world... screwy.gif

Remember Grant is a Chaos Magic practitioner. These guys are practically in a dream state all the time.

That stuff is bollocks. gossip.gif Peter Carroll is Cliff Notes for people too lazy to read Crowley, and Crowley is, among other things, cliff notes for John Dee and Agrippa. tongue.gif

Not to hijack this thread headlong into my insane world... screwy.gif

Listen, I don't disagree. It is lazy man's approach to understanding ars magica. But tell an Englishman that...hah!! No, one wants to read the Book of the Dead or read a english translation of Witche's Hammer. Tosh, Tosh, Tosh.

Now, back on Topic. Yeah, that panel progression nearly got me. I guess, you read enough comics, you figure it out though. I just think, Willy Wonka, got some weird can of Whup893censored-thumb.gif to unleash on The Big Blue Boyscout, henceforth I will refer to him as Triple B.

Just read it last night. I didn't think it was "perfect." I had no idea what was happening half the time, because there seemed to be a lot of jumping around; moreso than I'm used to seeing.

I think it could have been a lot better.

I like Quitely's style but the cover seems a little well freaky to me. Sups just looks like a big goofy kid sitting there looking down. I am looking forward to reading it though.

Rumor has it that at last year's SD Con('04), a DC editor was hounding Morrison about writing a Superman series. Morrison refused, saying he didn't have a take on the character. This conversation happened in the evening, across the street from the convention center. While they were talking, a tall, really ripped guy in a Superman costume came walking down the railroad tracks. Morrison yelled something at the guy, and he responded in character. Morrison asked the guy if he could talk to him for a minute, and they sat down to chat. They proceeded to have a 90 minute conversation, Morrison asking questions and Superman answering in character. Morrison asked "what's up with you and Batman?" Supes responded, "you know, he thinks everyone has darkness in their hearts, and I just can't buy into that."

While they were talking, Morrison took note of Superman's body language. He was relaxed, a really muscular guy in a goofy outfit, yes, but relaxed. Not posing like a bodybuilder at a competition.

Morrison walked away from the conversation with his take on Supes.

The article where Grant relates this story is in Comic Shop News # 960, the one with the Neal Adams variant cover on the cover. Grant relates the story there - although it happened in 1999, and it was with editor Dan Raspler, who I assume could confirm if this actually happened at 2 am in a park outside the Convention center.

Finally read this issue and I wasn't blown away at all. I liked the tone, but it was a touch confusing and it took all of 8 minutes to read even with close inspection of panels. I'll definitely read the next couple of issues, but it'll need to step up before I call it perfect.

Finally read this issue and I wasn't blown away at all. I liked the tone, but it was a touch confusing and it took all of 8 minutes to read even with close inspection of panels. I'll definitely read the next couple of issues, but it'll need to step up before I call it perfect.

Agreed. My thoughts exactly.

Well Warren Ellis liked it, heh.

Read the first issue of ALL-STAR

SUPERMAN last night. Yards better

than the slightly embarrassing ALL-

STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE

GROOMED PAEDOPHILE VICTIM...

27_laughing.gif Ellis always tells it like it is... thumbsup2.gif

Well Warren Ellis liked it, heh.

Read the first issue of ALL-STAR

SUPERMAN last night. Yards better

than the slightly embarrassing ALL-

STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE

GROOMED PAEDOPHILE VICTIM...

27_laughing.gif Ellis always tells it like it is... thumbsup2.gif

I personally thought ASB&R(man does that sound like a bad sex act) was Miller trying to take the DKR Batman persona and drop him back into continuity. It really did give the impression that Batman was a bit of a psycho though.

Hey, 8 minutes is pretty darn good these days. I think you could read the entire Shanna mini in 8 minutes, perhaps with a couple of minutes to spare.

Hey, 8 minutes is pretty darn good these days. I think you could read the entire Shanna mini in 8 minutes, perhaps with a couple of minutes to spare.

I could spend an hour on each panel in Shanna without even reading the word balloons.