• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Planet Comics 56 Church Copy SOLD/CLOSED

20 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, goldenacase said:

Thanks for the great comments guys book is an amazing specimen. I have received a few PM’s for time payments. I have no problems will work with you to get it sold (thumbsu

It's a Mile High Planet :cloud9:

one of the cooler ones.

GLWTS

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, LadyDeath said:

My man Joe Doolin pumped out iconic Planet covers like nobody's business.

How do books 75 years old manage to hold up like this? Locked in a vault that entire time?

Those Church books were neatly stacked on the wood shelves inside the curtains. Chuck Rozanski found them inside the bungalow house.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:58 PM, JollyComics said:

Those Church books were neatly stacked on the wood shelves inside the curtains. Chuck Rozanski found them inside the bungalow house.

weren't some of these packed in or near cedar and still smell of that wood?
or am I thinking of a different ped?

On 2/10/2023 at 12:22 PM, Wally's Comics said:

weren't some of these packed in or near cedar and still smell of that wood?
or am I thinking of a different ped?

I read Chuck’s story. He was led by the lawyer to two storage rooms behind his studio. First storage had fiction pulp books but the water leak went through the ceiling and damaged most of them. He took Chuck to other storage. He was stunned to see how pristine comic collection was. No water touched those books. I believe the bungalow was built in early 1910’s with pine wood, wood floors and bricks. The house is beautiful with nice craftsmanship. The closet may be full wooden and the cedar wood may be used for against the mildew and moisture for hanging dampened coats. I have seen some bungalows with the closets with cedar panels in Chicago. It smelled nice. How strange Church put the drape curtain inside the storage. Maybe it shielded from sun. Chuck didn’t give us many details about the storage conditions. He had very short time at the house because the family wanted it to be sold quickly before the value would be plummeted when the people with race of color started to move in the neighborhood. Church’s children were obviously racists. Remember it’s Colorado air that preserves pages. White pages.

I saw the pictures of the facade of former Church’s bungalow. I am very familiar with the house design like ones in Chicago.

I tried to find more information but that’s all I could find. I do have several Salida pedigree books with white pages. I can relate to Church books. Most of them are over 80 years old and much older.

Edited by JollyComics