• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #135
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Great score, Joel! A recent sale showing in gpa was $1440 for a 9.6. You hit the jackpot!

Usually posts that start off "I bought this raw comic on eBay" are complaining about the seller advertising one grade and the book coming back MUCH lower from CGC. Glad to see it work out in a positive direction for a change. 

Great find, and so rare!
Not often I get a true NM raw on eBay. I think my personal best was Marvel spotlight #32. I won it at auction for like $43 or so. It graded 9.8 white pages.

Mostly it is drive-by grading on the bay’

On 1/25/2023 at 6:38 PM, Joel0109 said:

I took a chance a few months ago and bought a raw copy of Amazing Spider-Man #135 off of eBay for a little over one hundred dollars. I sent it in to CGC to be pressed and graded. I received an e-mail today from CGC telling me that me book was finished and is currently being shipped back to me.

On 1/25/2023 at 7:20 PM, Lightning55 said:

Great score, Joel! A recent sale showing in gpa was $1440 for a 9.6. You hit the jackpot!

The real surprise here and the jackpot is that he sent the book in only a few months ago and yet somehow managed to get it pressed, graded, and back from CGC in such a short period of time.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I know a friend who sent their books in for pressing and grading back in November of 2021 and they have yet to be graded by the boys at CGC.  No worries though as he had told me that he didn't expect them back until sometime in 2023, so I guess it's still on schedule as far as he's concerned.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/3/2023 at 5:37 PM, Lightning55 said:

I had 50 comics arrive at CGC for grading (no pressing) on 1/24 and graded by 1/26, shipped 1/27.  It's crazy fast now for Moderns.  But don't blink, cuz it could change in the other direction at any time.

It sounds as though they must have provided you with their Walkthrough service or is this their new LIFO (i.e. Last In, First Out) processing strategy?  :bigsmile:

With all of the hiring that they did last year to staff up for the boom in submissions, I guess they must be in a similar situation to the now overstaffed tech companies who are in big time layoff mode.  Especially since submissions are most probably dropping like a rock with the falling prices for the books combined with the apparent departure of the newbies who just hopped onto the bandwagon during the pandemic.  hm

I assume the vintage non-Modern side of their grading operations are still probably in catch-up mode for now since it's probably a different set of more experienced graders working there.  Even here, submittors will probably not be complaining about year long turnaround times once they do catch up on their backlog from last year.  (shrug)  :wishluck: