• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stories of the one that got away...
3 3

66 posts in this topic

BAck in the very early 90s when we had our comic shop, an older guy walked in with a manilla envelope asling if we bought comics.  I said we did indeed...he pulled out high grade copies of all the late 50s DC books in pretty darned high grades.  Action 252, AC 245, Flash 105, etc.  We unfortunately didn't have the cashflow at the time to grab those books and had no choice at that point but to let the collection walk :(

As well, at Astro Books here in Montreal (my longtime LCS), I walked in to pic up my pull list...and a few people are fawning over a pretty sweet looking copy of Action Comics 2 that was actually missing it's back cover. One of the guys was buying it...for the hefty sum of $600.  This was mid 90s if I remember correctly.

Back in the early 90's one of the local malls would have a collectibles show around it.  Booths here and there, not only comics but sports cards, old toys etc.  I found a beat-up but nice X-men #4 for $60 which I think now would have graded a 5-6.  Begged my parents for a few more bucks so I could get it.  They finally relented and gave me the last $10-15 that I needed.  It was my prized possession.  But, being 14-15 at the time I lost my interest in comics and time went on.  Fast forward to about 5-6 years ago when I start getting back into comics and I start wondering where that #4 has gone.  Ask my parents where my old comics have gone and to my surprise they said that they're in a storage unit.  I giddily go with my father to the unit and find the two short boxes I kept my comics in.  Well, I look and look and it's not in there.  To this day I cannot remember if I sold them to the same collectible store that I sold my old Star Wars figures to or what the heck happened to it.  I still have the rest of the books that were in those boxes...bunch of 93-94 Superman comics...I need to find a way to go back in time and kick my own @ss.

So many mistakes, quite a few on these Boards!

Oh well, homeless or back among the living.

Worst. Used to go to the Flea Market in Englishtown, NJ in the 70’s. Guy had a huge amount of Golden Age. Bought a run of Marvel Mystery from 70-90. All in 6.0 plus. Sold them on Stan’s Weekly Express for $10. a piece. 😢

The old "I shouldn't have sold it" lament.

Many years ago, I got on a "high grade kick". I only wanted fine or better. I started selling off vg and below. I remember a lot of Planets and PCH. The one that I still kick myself over was Great Comics #3. It was a solid vg. Sold it at guide. I eventually came to my senses and quit doing that. I will likely never have another one now...

On 2/7/2023 at 11:38 AM, Robot Man said:

OK, I started this thread with a story of a collection I was denied. Now, here is one that is entirely on me…

MANY years ago I went to WonderCon in SF. I had just walked in to the show and bumped into a dealer with a nice wall of GA. Pretty dazzling but then, there it was. A copy of Suspense #3! I had been seduced by it in the Gerber book and wanted it real bad.

The guy handed it to me. Was very low grade with detached cover and a real rough spine. The cover was fully intact and had nice paper. But then he told me the centerfold was missing. I still wanted it so I asked the price. $1200. This was considerably above the “going price” at the time. I pondered and thought about it. Problem was I had only brought $1600. with me for the whole day. Calling my wife to get some more money was out of the question. Today, she would have said go for it. I also thought since it was way over priced, it would probably be there later. So I reluctantly handed it back.

As soon as I did a long time NJ dealer asked to see it. He had a couple of books and kind of berated the dealer with “come on, what’s the best you will do on this ragged, incomplete funny book?”. They worked out a deal for the group and off it went. I later saw him selling it with a taped up spine for considerably more.

I have regretted it ever since. I hate the term but this is now a “holy grail”. I had my chance…:sorry:

I have seen more Suspense 3's than the Dynamic 8 which you see as rags because of the black cover.The books that  you want never seem to appear when you have a pocket full of cash.lol

On 2/7/2023 at 4:37 PM, comicjack said:

I have seen more Suspense 3's than the Dynamic 8 which you see as rags because of the black cover.The books that  you want never seem to appear when you have a pocket full of cash.lol

I’ve pretty much given up on landing even a ratty Dynamic 8 now…:sorry:

On 2/8/2023 at 3:53 PM, BitterOldMan said:

A couple years ago, I was looking for a low grade copy of Superman 11.  

At Wizard Chicago, a real gentleman and his wonderful wife had a reader copy that fit my budget.  I was hosting my friend’s kids, so I passed so I could show the kids around.  After I walked through the entire show, I came back and the Superman 11 was gone.  The kind gentleman was @catrick339!  I snoozed and I lost.   ☹️

Finally, I got a copy of Superman 11 from Terry O at several times the price of the Wizard Chicago copy.

Too bad Ray. Catrick is indeed a gentleman!

On 2/9/2023 at 8:12 AM, PDGray said:

So, I have two stories.

1. Back in the early 90s a friend of mine knew I collected comics.  He had a friend of his that lived in a neighboring town who said he had some comics and wanted me to go look at them.  So, my friend took me over to see what this guy had.  He lived in a small house, next to railroad tracks, not in a great neighborhood.  We walked into this small living room and he had about 5,000 books scattered around the room.  Most were in simple cardboard boxes stacked everywhere.  As we dug through this collection I found complete runs of Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, ASM, Daredevil, and much, much more.  The guy had purchased them new, read them once, and sorted them in order - ALL STARTING  at #1s.  We found a few of them had been beaten up, but all the keys were there and simply 9.0 or higher condition.  Simply the most amazing collection I have ever seen.  It was WELL beyond what I would or could have ever paid for them.  Once we ran out of time he took us to another room filled with at least another 5,000 books, then still another room with another roughly 5,000 books.  A total of at least 15,000 books in pristine condition which really dated back to the late 1950s that I saw and ran through at least the mid-1980s.  I never had a chance to look at the 10,000 books in the other rooms, but that first 5,000 was worth at least $300,000 in 1992 by my estimation.  I don't know what happened to that collection or the guy that owned it - but to me and based on what I know now - that would have made an astonishing pedigree.

2. In 1993 I was still in the same town and my roommate worked at a hospital.  He told me about a lady that he worked with that had some comics and she wanted to have me look at them.  My roomie came home one day with the books, carried in a bright red, beaten up milk crate.  They were loose and bouncing around in the crate.  It was maybe 30-40 books.  Most were bronze age books that were in really rough shape, but in the middle were two of note.  One was a Daredevil 1 in mid-grade shape, while the other - oddly enough was a Detective 38!  It was a very unusual small collection with no connection between the books.  I made a few phone calls and got her an offer of $50,000 for the 'Tec 38.  I sent the contact information and inquired what she wanted for the DD1.  Again, they disappeared into the night.  I have no idea if they sold the book or if it is still floating around town somewhere.  I really wish I knew...

PDG  

Great stories. She should have given you the DD #1…

On 2/9/2023 at 12:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Great stories. She should have given you the DD #1…

Yeah, that would have been great!  I wasn't a DD fan at the time - it was a "lower tier" book relative to any other of the Marvel #1s from the 60s (and still is I suppose although it's gained some ground lately). I would say the DD1 was probably a 4.0-5.0 by today's standards - so definitely a significant book.  I certainly wouldn't have turned it away, but that other collection will probably never be topped by a collection I come across in my life. I think it would be $8-10,000,000 easy today.

I would love to know what came of any of those books or either of those collections.  Too bad I won't ever know.

PDG

On 2/9/2023 at 1:39 PM, PDGray said:

Yeah, that would have been great!  I wasn't a DD fan at the time - it was a "lower tier" book relative to any other of the Marvel #1s from the 60s (and still is I suppose although it's gained some ground lately). I would say the DD1 was probably a 4.0-5.0 by today's standards - so definitely a significant book.  I certainly wouldn't have turned it away, but that other collection will probably never be topped by a collection I come across in my life. I think it would be $8-10,000,000 easy today.

I would love to know what came of any of those books or either of those collections.  Too bad I won't ever know.

PDG

Yeah, stuff like that often keeps me up at night. I’ve got a couple more similar stories like that. Back in the early ‘70’s, there were tons of collections like that out there. Like you and most younger folks, I never had the funds to buy them. Think of all the ones you never heard of.

I remember being at the American Comic Book Company when a very large GA collection walked in the door. Terry Stroud and David T Alexander couldn’t buy and process all the vintage collections that came in. The back room was piled with them.

These days are unfortunately over. But I still believe there are still a number of them just waiting to be discovered. Especially SA up. And, I still wouldn’t have the dough to buy them even if I had the chance..,