• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Petition on Change.org to allow comics to be shipped Media Mail

37 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2023 at 9:25 PM, B2D327 said:
On 2/4/2023 at 1:37 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Can't say I'm supportive.

+1

Just wondering - why not? Nobody says you must use Media Mail, only that it is an option available to you. So why wouldn't you support the added flexibility for those who had the need?

On 2/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, ttfitz said:

Just wondering - why not? Nobody says you must use Media Mail, only that it is an option available to you. So why wouldn't you support the added flexibility for those who had the need?

Because as a buyer, I’ve come across too many sellers that ship their books media rate to save a buck or the post office themselves treat the package like dog sh*t. In either case, the books arrive damaged and the doors are now open to a bigger headache where neither want to take responsibility when a complaint is lodged.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:14 PM, B2D327 said:

Because as a buyer, I’ve come across too many sellers that ship their books media rate to save a buck or the post office themselves treat the package like dog sh*t. In either case, the books arrive damaged and the doors are now open to a bigger headache where neither want to take responsibility when a complaint is lodged.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:20 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Because I think comics should be shipped properly.

Yeah, but again, (a) as has been said, some sellers already will do this, so it wouldn't really change anything for those, and (2) "shipped properly" is really different for different circumstances (many have been pointed out here), and something that should be between the buyer and the seller.

As it stands, it's not sanctioned for ANYBODY, so nobody can do it. But some still do. And you really don't have any more recourse with those shippers when it's "not allowed" than you would if it was.

As I said, no seller would be required to ship that way, and no buyer would be forced to accept shipping that way. But for those who would like to, either as a buyer or seller, making it officially allowed would be a good thing. I don't really see a downside.

On 2/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, Gaard said:

My thoughts...

Those who wish to use MM have $$ as their #1 priority. Those who don't, have the protection of the comic as their #1 priority. There are always exceptions, but generally speaking, I think I'm right.

If they are not ripping the package open then MM is pretty safe and the only financially sane way to ship a pile of cheaper books.

The post office treats all packages like dog sh*t. I've had priority mail boxes brutally assaulted. They don't treat media mail worse unless they are ripping it open to inspect. It is just in the system longer so more chances to get banged around. I have had long boxes of comics shipped to me via medial mail that were delivered perfectly. I have no idea how that happened.

Are the sellers trying to save $ or are they trying to sell their items at an overall attractive price? A $5 comic with $8 shipping doesn't make much sense.

On 2/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, Gaard said:

My thoughts...

Those who wish to use MM have $$ as their #1 priority. Those who don't, have the protection of the comic as their #1 priority. There are always exceptions, but generally speaking, I think I'm right.

I'm not convinced USPS is any more careful with Priority packages than they are MM.  I've seen plenty of destroyed packages that were not MM.

If a book is packaged well, it's packaged well.  And they aren't going to throw one harder based on the shipping label.

For those who are against it, I'd say don't use it.  Simple.

As a buyer, I have no problem with MM being an available option just for price alone.  Tons of sellers on IG and elsewhere selling $1 or $2 books then charging $10 or $12 to ship one Priority.  It's how they make a little extra.  It's also how I know who to avoid.

You guys are missing something important in the argument about inspection of First Class and Media Mail. Only First Class Package Retail (e.g. pay at a postal counter, the retail rate) is not subject to inspection. First Class package commercial rate, which if you're using ebay, pirateship, stamps.com, etc... are commercial, and thus subject to inspection: https://faq.usps.com/articles/FAQ/What-are-the-Types-of-First-Class-Mail .

If you're actively avoiding MM due to possible inspection, you need to also exclude First Class sellers too; for cheapy books that doesn't make sense.

Priority Mail on the other-hand is not subject to inspection regardless if retail or commercial rate.

usps.png

On 2/7/2023 at 12:39 PM, ramrodcar said:

You guys are missing something important in the argument about inspection of First Class and Media Mail. Only First Class Package Retail (e.g. pay at a postal counter, the retail rate) is not subject to inspection. First Class package commercial rate, which if you're using ebay, pirateship, stamps.com, etc... are commercial, and thus subject to inspection: https://faq.usps.com/articles/FAQ/What-are-the-Types-of-First-Class-Mail .

If you're actively avoiding MM due to possible inspection, you need to also exclude First Class sellers too; for cheapy books that doesn't make sense.

Priority Mail on the other-hand is not subject to inspection regardless if retail or commercial rate.

usps.png

Except I have never heard of a gemini mailer with 1st class psotage getting ripped open for inspection or any 1st class package for that matter because there is likely no reason to. Media mail is ripped open (never one that I have sent, but I've seen pictures here) to see if it contains verbotten materials

Completely agree. Why not allow the buyer to have the option to save a little money? They know the risk of possible inspection. If the buyer doesn't want that risk, they can choose First Class / Priority. Seems like a win-win. 

On 2/7/2023 at 2:04 AM, the blob said:

The post office treats all packages like dog sh*t. 

Agreed. 
However, I’ve never had a priority shipment damaged in transit to me, I have had numerous media rate packages damaged and I believe the amount of time in which the po is in possession of the item has a lot to do with it too. I use priority as a seller and offer it free with most purchases for the peace of mind along with the fact that it can be insured for the value of the book/s. It’s one problem less to worry about when selling in my experience. If others want to go a more frugal route, that’s on them but I won’t use it as a buyer or seller. Then again, I’m not buying/selling dollar bin/drek either so there’s that (shrug)

On 2/7/2023 at 12:39 PM, ramrodcar said:

usps.png

I wonder what they're looking for when they open 1st Class mail.  Snakes and stuff?

On 2/8/2023 at 9:13 AM, F For Fake said:

There is a cost to doing business. Pay it.

I do.

It's around $4.

It gets to me a little slower but it's in the same gemini mailer used for first class and priority.

Bonus:  It means I only paid $9 for a $5 book instead of $13.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:45 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I do.

It's around $4.

It gets to me a little slower but it's in the same gemini mailer used for first class and priority.

Bonus:  It means I only paid $9 for a $5 book instead of $13.

I'm referring more to sellers who are shipping via media mail. As a buyer, sure, you want the cheapest rate. that will also get the book to you safely. But a lot of sellers try to cut corners on their own shipping expenses, and offer services that they shouldn't be offering. But as the buyer, sure, go with the best deal, and then pray that the seller knows how to pack, and also that USPS isn't going to intercept the package and leave you on the hook for it. Whatever works.