• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atlas War keys
2 2

109 posts in this topic

When i started putting together my Atlas war runs 10 year ago there really were not many "key" issues except for War Comics #11 and a few of the first issues of the bigger runs

over the last 10 year i have noticed many particular issues are now commanding big prices but i never really kept track of which ones

On 2/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, 1950's war comics said:

this one has really skyrocketed into a key ,

when i bought it it was just another issue, no better than any other issue,

i'm glad i picked this one up on the cheap and had it graded

DSCN3749 - Edited.jpg

I’m STILL kicking myself for not buying the original art for this cover back in 1997.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:27 PM, buttock said:

War is an interesting genre.  Prior to the DC continuing characters there are little to no "keys", just books in higher demand.  But for Atlas, that list is very long and also very dependent on the collector.  Books (not already mentioned) that come to mind off the top of my head, based off of conversations with other collectors, are: 

Battle 16, 18, 26, 30, 35

Battle Action 8, 11, 15

Battlefield 11

Battlefront 15, 17,23, 26

Combat 1, 5, 10

Combat Casey 12, 19

Man 21

Marines in Action 9

Men in Action 3, 5

Men's Adventures 20

Navy Action 2, 4, 16

War Adventures 9, 13

War Comics 23, 26

And there are a handful of others that are so bloody rare in any collectible shape that would lead to a bloodbath if a nice copy ever showed up.  

I personally think that War Comics 1 is underrated and quite a "key".  It was the first real "war" comic since WW2, and none of those had any staying power.  It essentially started the genre, and was the first time Martin Goodman was ever first to a trend, everything else having been an attempt to capitalize on something that was already selling well.  But the market feels otherwise.  

thanks for the list , i have a bunch of these but not many of them graded though

I personally think that War Comics 1 is underrated and quite a "key".  It was the first real "war" comic since WW2

agree that War Comics #1 is a key and also that Battle #1 is one also ... due to their longer runs 

Man 21

i'm hoping i have Man #21  in this lot somewhere...cause i can't remember which one it is and my eyes are not good enough to read the issue number....

DSCN3620 - Edited.jpg

Edited by 1950's war comics

On 2/11/2023 at 7:48 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i'm hoping i have Man #21  in this lot somewhere...cause i can't remember which one it is and my eyes are not good enough to read the issue number....

DSCN3620 - Edited.jpg

It's not in that group...  :shiftyeyes:

EDIT: waitaminnut! It IS in that group! I was thinking of issue 15!! :makepoint:

Edited by PopKulture

On 2/11/2023 at 8:10 PM, 1950's war comics said:

awesome cover also !!

Honestly, the whole run is cool: starting with those earlier crime and suspense anthologies right on through all the great war issues and even some sci-fi at the tail's end for good measure.  :yeehaw: