• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any luck with Otto Schmidt?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone had luck getting original art from Otto Schmidt of any kind?

He was the artist on DC versus Vampires, and has done fun work for other titles over the years.

Most of his comic work is digital, but he does do some pencil sketches and some pencil work too. He has no website or dealer that I can find. I've never seen his pages for sale.

He has a strong social media presence. A few years ago I sent him a nice twitter DM asking if he would do a commission based on his work from DC versus Vampires or sell me some art from the series. He responded that yes he would, but then when I followed up about it, he told me to wait until he drew the art on his own and I could just buy it off him.

Another poster warned me that he never would and that it was pointless trying to get commissions from him.

Just seems odd that he won't sell his sketches or monoprints either.

Of course, it's his art and his choice, but also never says "I don't sell my art". He just kinda vaguely says he will and then never does...

Anyone have any luck with Otto?

He is a fun artist who seems like a nice person. It's a shame.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:42 AM, babsrocks31 said:

He is a fun artist

I like what I've seen of his.  I bid on a few pieces that I recall were on Comiclink, but I didn't win any.  Just keep your eyes open for completed works.  Commissions can often disappoint.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:26 AM, babsrocks31 said:

Update:

I contacted Otto's agent via his website and asked about art sales or commissions, and they said he is not permitted to sell any art of DC characters as he is under contract with their corporation and the characters are copyrighted by DC.

Can you email me his address? He may not understand his client owns the art. If what he is saying is correct, DC’s new view just killed our hobby.

On 2/13/2023 at 9:48 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Can you email me his address? He may not understand his client owns the art. If what he is saying is correct, DC’s new view just killed our hobby.

I have a feeling he doesn't understand. Or, is just saying that because they don't want to do this for me (but I feel that is less likely and don't want to imply that).

I'm sure the big two do tell people this as a failsafe, but then actively ignore it.

Anyway, the fellow is Pavel and I got the email from Otto's website. Please let me know if anything comes of it on your end.

Edited by babsrocks31