• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You Are Given a Captain America 1
9 9

92 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2023 at 6:25 PM, taro90 said:

I think everyone can figure out by now what's actually happening here...

1418722232_ScreenShot2023-02-21at8_23_45PM.thumb.png.d91de105d31fc01bf564e7fc7eed390e.png

And Taro, what is that exactly?  

Go ahead, apologize in front of the group, and think before you make accusations next time.  

On 2/23/2023 at 8:14 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

Just to clarify, and to thank those above who defended me, yes, I bought this cover mixed in with other books, such as FF 49, and “some CA pages”.  When I was driving home after the sale I looked closer and was super stoked to find the cover.   Holy heck, the scammer made it convincing.  
While a loupe is on my “next to buy” list, it looked pretty real.  I am not big on GA, and didn’t notice the size discrepancy on my own, but when laid upon another CA book of similar vintage….  Upon close inspection I had pointed out to me that the printing style wasn’t period appropriate as well.  
Forgive me for me quiet in all this.  It’s:

a) embarrassing

b) costly

c) deflating

Again, thank you to those of you that defended me.  I don’t have much credit to my name, but I appreciate you.   

Don't feel bad or embarrassed.  It could have easily happened to any of us...I don't think anyone was expecting these counterfeits until the story broke and hindsight is 20/20. 

I guess the question now.. are the FF 49  and other books real?  

Edited by WolverineX

On 2/23/2023 at 6:48 PM, WolverineX said:

Don't feel bad or embarrassed.  It could have easily happened to any of us...I don't think anyone was expecting these counterfeits until the story broke and hindsight is 20/20. 

I guess the question now.. are the FF 49  and other books real?  

Thanks.  I was floating on a cloud. The FF49 was real, but the intended book was not.  A total of three fakes in my bundle, and if you guys are catching the story from other sources, that seems to be this guys MO.  He throws in some legit books, some decent  stuff, others included ASM 365 (not my thing but people dig that for potential), Marvel Premiere 47, some 12 cent Thor and Avengers filler.  
He has done this with a handful of others in the area, so I’m taking some comfort in that, as weird as that sounds. My wife isn’t upset with me, and that’s a huge burden lifted.  So yeah, let’s all learn a lesson I guess, and inspect the snot out of your next CGC grail purchase.  I suspect this will change how I buy books from now on, and others as well.   
Inspect the snot out of your next purchase gang.  Check the lower seals especially.  He/they are pretty good at this it would seem.  

Edited by Sillydiabetic

On 2/23/2023 at 9:00 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

Thanks.  I was floating on a cloud. The FF49 was real, but the intended book was not.  A total of three fakes in my bundle, and if you guys are catching the story from other sources, that seems to be this guys MO.  He throws in some legit books, some decent  stuff, others included ASM 365 (not my thing but people dig that for potential), Marvel Premiere 47, some 12 cent Thor and Avengers filler.  
He has done this with a handful of others in the area, so I’m taking some comfort in that, as weird as that sounds. My wife isn’t upset with me, and that’s a huge burden lifted.  So yeah, let’s all learn a lesson I guess, and inspect the snot out of your next CGC grail purchase.  I suspect this will change how I buy books from now on, and others as well.   
Inspect the snot out of your next purchase gang.  Check the lower seals especially.  He/they are pretty good at this it would seem.  

Glad your wife is understanding.  The seller was very tricky selling legit and fake books.  If he had made the labels a little better, he may have gotten away with the scam for longer....Are you guys going to try to get your money back?  

On 2/23/2023 at 9:00 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

First off, I'm sincerely sorry this happened.  It sucks that you have to worry about stuff like this. 

I'm curious, what was the intended book that was fake? 

Are you talking to the police about this scum?  

The top 3 are fake labels, the bottom is real. The first 2 are pretty obvious by looking at the surround on the grade box, but the ASM 1 is much closer to the real one tho the proportions and font are a bit different...I can't tell if the color or blown out gradation is accurate because it might be the photo, but they're close enough that you need to compare them to an online pic of the same book and grade to make sure its real...and maybe even find a pic of a book with the same serial number on Heritage if its expensive enough (thats how they caught the Hulk 1).

Theres also fake 2nd gen labels that have similar issues with the grade box.

image.thumb.png.9c7a22d99b21f35ab40139494276b4c5.png

Edited by Ozonetv

On 2/24/2023 at 2:13 AM, stock_rotation said:

Based on the circulating photo from Facebook, I'd guess it was the ASM 1.

This is what I don't get also...how does the ASM 1 fit into this? Unless I'm missing something, theres no mention of it in the small collection that included the Cap 1. Was it a separate buy from the same scammer? 

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 11.12.28 AM.png

On 2/25/2023 at 8:13 AM, Ozonetv said:

This is what I don't get also...how does the ASM 1 fit into this? Unless I'm missing something, theres no mention of it in the small collection that included the Cap 1. Was it a separate buy from the same scammer? 

Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 11.12.28 AM.png

I did not follow the thread after page 1 but I think this was a picture from before this thread. (shrug)

On 2/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, Sillydiabetic said:

And Taro, what is that exactly?  

Go ahead, apologize in front of the group, and think before you make accusations next time.  

Why don't tell me, what is that exactly? Not everyone is that naive. I'm not the one that should apologize. And why should I apologize? Because I didn't believe in the validity of your "Once-In-A-Lifetime-Discovery"  or jump on your bandwagon? Think before you start posting "fake discoveries" next time. We're community here, we lookout for each other. That's how it works.

I just read through the FaceBook posts' about the Hulk #1 scam, again. According to the FaceBook scam thread, you also purchased the fake CGC 6.0 Amazing Spider-Man #1, along with the fake Captain America comics #1 cover. 

IMG_4291.thumb.jpg.9fe2bfdd9c8c638cb1ca00021bc059cd.jpg

According to the FaceBook scam thread, this is your screen shot, right? What's the situation with that? Did you know it was fake? It must've been a lot of money for a book like that. I hope you didn't lose too much money on it. Was that book also thrown in like the Captain America Comics #1 cover because it was worthless? Why didn't you tell the CGC community about the fake CGC 6.0 Amazing Spider-Man #1? Didn't hear a peep about that. Give us some information about the slab. Was it a resealed old CGC slab? Was it a non-CGC 3rd party made slab? How about the label? Also, did you contact CGC's outside counsel, Mark Zaid? He posted all of his contact information on that Facebook scam thread. He wanted to know more information about the fake CGC slabs. There's still a thread in Comics General about this very scam. How about you post all your findings there? Like I said, we're community here, help us out here......hm Come on man, what's with that????

On 2/28/2023 at 10:39 AM, taro90 said:

Why don't tell me, what is that exactly? Not everyone is that naive. I'm not the one that should apologize. And why should I apologize? Because I didn't believe in the validity of your "Once-In-A-Lifetime-Discovery"  or jump on your bandwagon? Think before you start posting "fake discoveries" next time. We're community here, we lookout for each other. That's how it works.

I just read through the FaceBook posts' about the Hulk #1 scam, again. According to the FaceBook scam thread, you also purchased the fake CGC 6.0 Amazing Spider-Man #1, along with the fake Captain America comics #1 cover. 

According to the FaceBook scam thread, this is your screen shot, right? What's the situation with that? Did you know it was fake? It must've been a lot of money for a book like that. I hope you didn't lose too much money on it. Was that book also thrown in like the Captain America Comics #1 cover because it was worthless? Why didn't you tell the CGC community about the fake CGC 6.0 Amazing Spider-Man #1? Didn't hear a peep about that. Give us some information about the slab. Was it a resealed old CGC slab? Was it a non-CGC 3rd party made slab? How about the label? Also, did you contact CGC's outside counsel, Mark Zaid? He posted all of his contact information on that Facebook scam thread. He wanted to know more information about the fake CGC slabs. There's still a thread in Comics General about this very scam. How about you post all your findings there? Like I said, we're community here, help us out here......hm Come on man, what's with that????

+1  this started failing my smell test after about page 3 of this thread ............................................

Edited by fishbone

On 2/28/2023 at 8:39 AM, taro90 said:

Your community is different than mine, that much is apparent.  You still haven’t copped to your own comment, which is what I asked for.