• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MegaCon 2023 - March 30 to April 2 - Orlando, FL
4 4

58 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2023 at 7:35 AM, HighRadArt said:

I asked to see one raw book and the price was way more than I wanted to pay.  Are they overpriced?  In todays world - maybe.  For me the pricing has made the hobby less enjoyable so I would say yes.

I did see quite a few exclusives.  I picked up a couple from a dealer that had mostly Will Jack covers. They even had a C2E2 exclusive from last year.  Ebas and his wife had some exclusives/limited books at their booth but $100 to $200 for a new comic book for me is on the pricey side.  The full nude was an eye opener. 

I go to several cons and half dozen card shows a year, in my experience dealers selling raw vintage/“wall books” are always way overpriced. They don’t even want to negotiate like dealers on whatnot or IG do. That’s bc they’re not looking for serious longtime collectors at shows, they’re hoping to sell to impulse buyers or rubes with no idea of FMV. 

As for the “exclusives,” you ain’t kidding there. I can’t be the only one over this gimmick? Every online dealer had a table full of “exclusive” variants. Don’t get me started on the nude variants. The McDonald guys had a table full of them priced at like $75+. I am embarrassed how they perpetuate the fanboy “has never touched a female” stereotype I thought we grew out of as a community. Meanwhile Black Flag was still selling the same Crain variants people are always trying to scalp on here or feebay so I’m not getting the scarcity argument. Finally, I bought two 2023 C2E2 variants at the Unknown table which I guess they split between the cons.

I guess I have a different definition of “exclusive” than comic dealers…

I was at Megacon three days and didn’t walk the entire space but the comic sellers seem to be shrinking every year. Maybe it was C2E2 splitting the attention tho. I passed that Dale Roberts booth several times and was tempted to say hi to joeypost but didnt want to bother anyone when vintage comics aren’t my jam. I wish I couldve found custom Lego mini figs but all I saw was guys selling ones pulled from sets. I did bit a few hundred in toys tho bc toy dealers seem willing to price things in line with ebay and even negotiate better prices. Or maybe they just had a bad weekend and wanted to salvage Sunday. This was my 6th Megacon in a row and I’m sad to see the comic selling aspect eroding away. 

On 4/4/2023 at 12:17 AM, blazingbob said:

I'm sorry that I am not a "Big dealer" to you.  I was at C2E2

How did it go?  Setting up next year?

On 4/3/2023 at 9:17 PM, blazingbob said:

I'm sorry that I am not a "Big dealer" to you.  I was at C2E2

I said a “lot” of dealers. Wasn’t referencing YOU specifically. :wavingwhiteflag:My point is there are a lot less vintage comic dealers at big cons these days. Would you not agree?

NOBODY can touch Harley though. He was at WonderCon 2 weeks ago on Friday then flew to Big Apple Friday night. The next week he was at C2E2 and Mega in FL in the same weekend I believe. The man is a machine and the hardest working dealer in the business. His stock is amazing. Something for everybody. I can’t remember the last time I left his booth without buying stuff.

From a buyer’s perspective, I really appreciate the dealers who keep this business moving. It isn’t an easy job. 

The man is the hardest working "Convention" dealer.  If you have a great website you don't have to kill yourself flying all over the place to be at shows.  I have no problem with working hard,  I do try to do it as efficiently as possible.  

And frankly the convention model isn't exactly the strongest selling or most cost effective way to do business.

Covid clearly showed the flaws in the convention model way of doing business.  

On 4/4/2023 at 8:02 AM, blazingbob said:

The man is the hardest working "Convention" dealer.  If you have a great website you don't have to kill yourself flying all over the place to be at shows.  I have no problem with working hard,  I do try to do it as efficiently as possible.  

And frankly the convention model isn't exactly the strongest selling or most cost effective way to do business.

Covid clearly showed the flaws in the convention model way of doing business.  

I would agree with that. Problem is for me, is that websites very rarely have the books I am looking for. The stuff I look for is more likely to turn up at a live show. Anything I want rarely makes it to a website or if it does, it’s long gone before I see it. A very cost effective way of doing business though. It obviously works for you.

How did you do at WonderCon? I came by your booth a couple times but missed you  I guess. I was there on Friday and it looked pretty sparce. I spoke to a few boardies and friends that mostly collect GA like I do. Most were just looking to buy that one big book or two. A lot of those people went home with their money. People are really getting selective.

I was hoping for that as well but didn’t have much luck. So I changed my tactic. I rolled up my sleeves and did some serious box diving. I came home with a small pile of cool less expensive books. I still left with most of my money. But I was still happy. Hey, a bad day at a comic con is still better than a good day at work…

On 4/4/2023 at 11:23 AM, Robot Man said:

I would agree with that. Problem is for me, is that websites very rarely have the books I am looking for. The stuff I look for is more likely to turn up at a live show. Anything I want rarely makes it to a website or if it does, it’s long gone before I see it. A very cost effective way of doing business though. It obviously works for you.

How did you do at WonderCon? I came by your booth a couple times but missed you  I guess. I was there on Friday and it looked pretty sparce. I spoke to a few boardies and friends that mostly collect GA like I do. Most were just looking to buy that one big book or two. A lot of those people went home with their money. People are really getting selective.

I was hoping for that as well but didn’t have much luck. So I changed my tactic. I rolled up my sleeves and did some serious box diving. I came home with a small pile of cool less expensive books. I still left with most of my money. But I was still happy. Hey, a bad day at a comic con is still better than a good day at work…

Wondercon was my first show since October.  Was a typical Wondercon,  decent sales.  This year was very sparse buying even though I really really tried.  There is definitely a shortage of certain material.  Was going to sell my box inventory to another dealer but somehow the rules changed from the last time he bought my inventory to this time.  Wound up not doing it. 

On 4/4/2023 at 8:45 AM, blazingbob said:

Wondercon was my first show since October.  Was a typical Wondercon,  decent sales.  This year was very sparse buying even though I really really tried.  There is definitely a shortage of certain material.  Was going to sell my box inventory to another dealer but somehow the rules changed from the last time he bought my inventory to this time.  Wound up not doing it. 

Good to hear. It’s a long trip from the East Coast. Us West Coast collectors sure appreciate you guys making the trip.

Hopefully, Torpedo goes off this year. Always a great buying/selling show for vintage material. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 4/6/2023 at 7:28 AM, joeypost said:

How crazy were the crowds on Saturday?

It was literally a sea of humanity. If you were in the middle of an aisle you couldn’t see what booth was to your left or right and I’m 6’2. My brother told me meet him at CGC, I got somewhere around your/Dale Robert booth and lost my bearings bc you were just in a crowd of people. The Frank Miller line stretched from his booth across the black curtain to across the back wall. Practically every celeb line was a 2 hour wait. Just chaos. 

Did anyone make an in-person submission while attending Megacon this year? If so, have your submissions been entered into the system yet? I submitted a standard tier submission on Thursday (03/30) and it has still not been entered.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:58 PM, Vegas021 said:

Did anyone make an in-person submission while attending Megacon this year? If so, have your submissions been entered into the system yet? I submitted a standard tier submission on Thursday (03/30) and it has still not been entered.

Yes and yes

On 4/10/2023 at 3:36 PM, jeffreyk said:

Megacon was a great show. I was there on Saturday and it was packed. I picked up several cgc books from Reeces Rare Comics as well as from Dale Roberts.  I thought their prices were fair and they got all of my business.

I totally agree, it was a great time....good to see Dale and the Reeses.  Alot of people, alot of good vibes from con goers, artists and dealers. And the best part...none of the "gotta wear a mask" BS.